Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2013-04-07 11:53:30

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Lockdown Today

:excited: chicks a poppin everywhere :thumbsup:

2013-04-07 11:53:30

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2013-04-07 13:51:58

poplar girl
Administrator

I sprung the hatched ones this morning. MUCH better than last time, I have around 45 EO chicks in the brooder and there are a few more chicks still working their way out.

I hope they hurry, I need the incubator for the next batch :oops:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#28 2013-04-07 14:00:40

Micah and Kiah

RBF!!!!  What a beautiful farm?  I have wanted to visit out East all my life, definite bucket list item.  Now that I've seen your farm photos I've got to move there, got room in your barn or under the bridge for me to move in?  :thumbsup: Micah says he'd miss me and would feed the chickens to the coyotes if I go on that trip without him. Maybe we can find a chicken sitter and visit the East coast together!
Wish he'd get on line with you guys more, he likes me to read him stuff from the site but doesn't type much. 

riverbendfarm wrote:

I have about 10 pips this morning. I set them Friday evening 3 weeks ago so they are coming right on time. The Easter Egger pipped first but then took a break, might be he gave up. Have a bunch of barred rocks and at least 1 EO pipping. I'm hearing chirps!

The river in the shots is the West Lahave, which wraps around my farm (thus the name :whistle:). Its a 5 minute walk from my door. Last spring we pulled an 11 inch speckled trout out of the river right at he bottom of my hay field. People catch fish right off that little bridge before my house all the time. You can see the bridge in the second shot, as well as a bit of my neighbor's house. This year spring has been late and cold. The trout are not biting, though I did get a nibble that day. He came to the surface, flipped me a fin, stole my bait and took off! Cheeky little bugger...

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#29 2013-04-07 14:04:18

gubi
Website

I had 2 EO's by this time yesterday and I have 8 Spitz now too.  There are lots more Spitz pipped but there appears to be no action from the EO eggs!  At least these 2 appear healthy and have good feet.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#30 2013-04-07 14:13:06

poplar girl
Administrator

A visit to the East Coast is also on my bucket list M&K. My DH would need to come along as well, no way I could get away for a trip like that and leave him home with the chooks. I am very grateful to him right now though, I left him home alone all week (i was away at a conference) with all the chickens and chicks and two incubators in lockdown (and a lot of instructions and checklists ;)) and he did very well!!

Riverbend you will need to share more pictures with us as you have time so we can live vicariously...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#31 2013-04-07 14:47:00

Micah and Kiah

Yep and plan on a big EO lovers camping trip at your place!    By the way, the Mille Fleur are laying like crazy!  Hope I can send some eggs to you? 

Today we are expecting 12 more orpingtons, 5 white leghorns, 1 EO (the first born from Elevator and the ladies) and 6 project chicks.

then our next hatch is on the 16th!  It will have three colours of d"uccles, Welsummers, Mille Fleur EOs, 1 gorria, Chanteclers and more project chicks... 

Lindy Lou did warn me of the dangers of having a Sportsman and she sure was right!  I've become a hatching monster!

Poplar Girl, when is that big poultry sale/auction that happens in the Spring out West?  I think I may need to load the horse trailer up with chicks in brooders and head out west to the sale!   :roadtrip:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#32 2013-04-07 15:11:28

Flat Rock Farm

[I hope they hurry, I need the incubator for the next batch]

LOL PG you sound like me, I need the incubator that the chicks are hatching in now for your EO eggs to hatch next week.  I have BM d'uccle eggs that I had collected for a fellow who changed his mind so I was NOT going to waste them :whistle: So I set them last week with your eggs so they need to be in the incubator longer :nervous:

One more hatch in May and then that's it for the season..............I think :whistle:

Farthest East I have been is New Brunswick to the Bay of Fundy very pretty :love:, coming out West is on my bucket list, never been father than the Soo.

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2013-04-07 15:12:13)

#33 2013-04-07 16:28:22

Micah and Kiah

Well FLF, let's load up my horse trailer and go to that sale out West!   
We can start checking things off our bucket lists!
Of course, I have quite a bucket list... see Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Great Blue Whales, ride in the Rockies...   :excited:

Guess I better get healthy, lose weight and save  ny chick sales money

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#34 2013-04-07 16:35:49

Flat Rock Farm

:funny: M&K one day!!!  I won't be making it on my chicken/chick/egg money as that goes all back on them for food and upkeep :shock:

#35 2013-04-07 16:47:56

Micah and Kiah

Aint' that the truth!  Can't wait to see photos from all the hatches this weekend!  I have a few pipping now and one project eggs shaking away!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#36 2013-04-09 01:30:36

riverbendfarm
Website

Final Count:
Out of 27 eggs, 23 hatched but I needed to cull 2. This leaves me:
2 EOs, 8 Barred Rocks, 9 Buff Orpingtons, 1 Black Pendesenca and 1 Orpingtegger!

I am pleased with the first test hatch of the 1202.

The hatch problems with my Pendesencas continue: low hatch rates and full-term chicks unzipped or pipped and stopped. I think they may have the same issues that some BLack Copper Marans owners have with the very hard shells. I plan to take everyone off supplemental oyster shell and see what happens. I am also concerned about how closely related these birds are. I am bringing in a new Black Australorp rooster for an outcrossing, then planning to put all of the resulting pullets back to a full BP roolet that I'm growing on. This one has a nice carnation comb. Any suggestions?

Last edited by riverbendfarm (2013-04-09 01:31:53)

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#37 2013-04-09 11:51:41

hollowridge

Great Sucess Riverbend!!  :excited:

Can't wait for your next hatch and results!

Our Rooster is looking for a few hens of his own, this will make him very happy, :jumping: as he has to sneak around the other rooster.:nervous:

#38 2013-04-09 16:48:31

Island Girl

:congrats: that is a good hatch! :wine:

XOX Monika

Adverts

Board footer