Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-04-01 20:53:13

choctawgal
Website

Five eggs in a little Brinsea

Well, Friends.... It started yesterday, day 20.

:hatch::hatch::hatch:

One good sized Olive Egg from a black OE hen was the first to pip, closer to the pointy end than the air cell.  So, I started helping her out, bit-by-bit... chipping away at the shell and peeling membrane until I saw blood vessels,  then set back in the bator a while longer--repeated 3-4 times.  Finally a big fluffy chick was freed early this morning.  The 2nd pip is the only Pure EO egg in there.  At least she's pipping at the right end!  I'll be watching her closely.  The other 3 are one EE/EO cross and two EO/BO crosses.  These are probably the last of intentional crosses, now that all three of my EO ladies are finally in lay.  WAAA HOOO!!!

More, including pics, later!  It just occurred to me that I need to buy a new lamp and bulb before I transfer this little cutie to the new brooder, since until I do a thorough disinfect with Oxine, all my heat lamps have Dust and particulate matter from the growout room that had the outbreak this Winter.  I have the brand new tub with non-slip flooring and a little dish of starter waiting for them.  I expect the EO to be out *very soon*

Jenn

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

2013-04-01 20:53:13

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-04-01 21:15:35

NaturesPace
Website

Re: Five eggs in a little Brinsea

great news! come on chickies!

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#3 2013-04-01 21:23:25

Micah and Kiah

:hatch:  Best wishes!  Can't wait for the photos!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#4 2013-04-01 22:18:52

picis peeps

So exciting for you.  Please post some pictures.  Cant wait to see them.

#5 2013-04-01 23:10:44

mikencarol

.....  :thumbs:  Good for you Jenn....I'm glad you didn't let all that other "Stuff" make you want to quit.  I think it might be an OIT to come back stronger after you have been knocked down!! Keep them babies hatchin'.... If your EO's are doing like mine, you will have lots of eggs soon.  I am getting 3 and sometimes 4 a day out of 4 mature hens and now my pulletts are firing up!!!!!!  :thumbsup:.....Mike

Last edited by mikencarol (2013-04-01 23:17:32)

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#6 2013-04-01 23:23:17

yardbirds

:jumping: :congrats: =D

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#7 2013-04-03 01:06:23

Flat Rock Farm

:congrats: :hatch:

#8 2013-04-06 19:47:44

choctawgal
Website

Update:  I was so busy with the EO chick that I forgot to update....  Pupp is ill and we needed to take her to urgent care 2 nights ago for a nasty head cold that moved down into her chest and caused the asthma to flare... causing the now-chest-cold to flare the asthma worse... causing the... and so on.  UGH!  Now that she's on antibiotics, steriods, and an inhaler, she is starting to perk up.  At least last night we were able to go to her kids' (she is a mental health therapist--working with homeless youth) art show at a local theater, who showed the documentary "Bully" in conjunction with the art show.

Back to the update... (I'll work on pics when Pupp doesn't need the computer to do her paperwork.  I have some interesting pics.)

Well, there were three chicks total hatched out of this batch; the PB EO, a Buff Orp./EO, and a chick from an unidentified roo plus my Olive Egger from the other yard.

Unfortunately, the PB EO didn't make it.  You know how every now and then, you get a little voice saying, "this child ain't right?"  I had it even before it dried off.  It really was nothing more than the way it held its head, until it dried off, got into the brooder, and got a little rest.  Every time I get that feeling, I wish it isn't right... but it usually is, and in this case it was spot on.  It showed some severe neurological problems--stargazing and no development of food or thirst drives.  :sad:  I tried to see if any thirst or hunger would develop, but after a couple of days it became apparent that it wasn't meant to survive--while the other two had started to grow, it stayed the same size... not surprising, it only would half heartedly peck at a couple the crumbles when I'd hold it, and only after relaxing its neck enough to see my hand in front.  I had to euthanize it.  Very sad and disappointing, but it happens every now and then with any hatch.  :huh:

The EO/BO is doing great, as is the little OE/? chick, and have been in "super paranoid isolation" because of the Marek's outbreak we had. 

I have several eggs in a friend's 'bator, hatching as I write this. 

:hatch::hatch:

The most recent report is that five PB EOs are out and doing well... and three EO mixes are now out too.  I can't wait to see them today!  :love:  (I'm taking the other two over and they are all getting their Marek's vacc together... then going under "super paranoid isolation" for the next two weeks as they develop their anitibodies!)  :nervous:

Off topic... but I also have LOTS of ducklings hatching as we speak.  I believe the last report was 15 out and quacking in the brooder.  I'm picking them up today to give him room for the rest!  There were 63 eggs that were developing and we are in the middle of lots of pipping!  Yeah, there is a whole lot off quacking going on! :funny:  I'm VERY happy our poultry swapmeet is in 2 weekends!  Did I say it feels like we are running a QUACK-house? :chairhide:

Another update and pics to follow!

Jenn

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

#9 2013-04-06 23:43:38

Micah and Kiah

Can't wait for photos.  Hope Pupp is doing better soon.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

Adverts

Board footer