Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-03-29 11:46:10

hollowridge

Need Help Please

Need Advice, we have one E.O. that is smaller than the rest, it’s eyes are larger and more pronounced than the others and it doesn’t open them that often.  It sleeps most of the time.  When I looked it up(the large eyes) what I found was that it was either stunted or a congenital deformity.
We have been getting some electrolyte water into it by putting a spoon full up to it.  Will drink sometimes very well.  Mixed some food with that water into a mash and tried to get it to eat, not sure if it is getting any or just cleaning it away from its beak.  Never see it at the water and it does peck at the ground but don’t think it is getting food.
Any advice on how to help it ?  We had to cull one of our Australorps due to the pain it was in with its legs and not eating.  We really don’t want to do another one.  Help Please if there is any!!

2013-03-29 11:46:10

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-03-29 12:00:46

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Need Help Please

I'm sorry about your chick hollowridge. In my opinion the kindest thing you can do for that baby might be to cull it. Chances are it does have something very wrong with it and will never be a healthy bird.

If you do make the decision to try to save it try using a syring (without a needle) to feed/water it. I managed to save a chick that way a few years ago, she made it all the way to an adult but then her legs gave out and we had to put her down anyway. Very heart breaking, Chirp was the only cochin I ever owned.

So for the syringe feeding/watering method, use the electrolyte water to soak crumbles in as you have been doing to make and then suck that into the syringe. Then place a drop at a time of the mixture on the chicks beak, it's sipping reflex will kick in and it should take in the liquid with any food suspended in it. You will get a feel for how thick/thin to make the feed/water mix. Do that several times a day. Keep offering it water, wet feed as well as crumbles fee choice in case it starts to feel stronger and want to eat on its own. Also try to keep it warm and with or near the other chicks.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2013-03-29 12:56:11

Maggiesdad

I hate to sound harsh, but if you are getting into EOs from a preservation standpoint, you will need to be ruthless in selecting who stay and who goes. If you are looking at just a pet laying flock, and don't mind administering to needy chicks, that's a different story.

I've had to realign my standards when it comes to hatching, but it's still not easy. :sad:

#4 2013-03-29 13:11:24

Flat Rock Farm

Maggiesdad wrote:

I hate to sound harsh, but if you are getting into EOs from a preservation standpoint, you will need to be ruthless in selecting who stay and who goes. If you are looking at just a pet laying flock, and don't mind administering to needy chicks, that's a different story.

I've had to realign my standards when it comes to hatching, but it's still not easy. :sad:

Agree with MD and PG, culling is the worst, I hate it but is necessary when conditions are not good.  I have to cull a barbanter chick today, I have been trying to correct a dislocated/splay leg with band aids and pipe cleaners but now it goes backwards and can't walk.  I breaks my heart :sad:

Hard decision I know to make as to what to do :hug:

#5 2013-03-29 22:42:27

hollowridge

Thanks for the help and concerns. We are going to try a bit longer and see how it goes; it doesn't seem to be in any pain.  If it goes well it will be just a layer or a table bird because our goal is to keep our flock strong.  We were choosy with our Australorps also for breeding.  We have 3 layers but only chose to use two of them for our hatch as the other laid less frequent, smaller and rougher eggs.  We had to cull the one Australorp chicks with the spraddle; was in pain and what we were doing with the Band-Aid didn't help, won’t eat either or drink on its own.  My husband did the deed and it bothered him as much as it did me, but neither one of us will let an animal suffer
Will post more as they grow!
:thanks:

#6 2013-03-29 23:40:01

riverbendfarm
Website

Hey Hollowridge. I have never yet had an EO present with that type of deformity in the 4 hatches that I have done. That being said from what I can tell all EO's in Nova Scotia come from one small group that originates from Claire and their genetics are very close. This is precisely why I brought in hatching eggs from FRF, because in saving a breed that is rare you run into issues like this sometimes. I've had to cull other chicks of different breeds shortly after hatch, and hated doing it. The trouble is that if it survives and is weak or sickly sometimes you prolong its suffering and your own. Best of luck whatever you decide.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#7 2013-03-31 20:33:25

hollowridge

riverbendfarm wrote:

Hey Hollowridge. I have never yet had an EO present with that type of deformity in the 4 hatches that I have done. That being said from what I can tell all EO's in Nova Scotia come from one small group that originates from Claire and their genetics are very close. This is precisely why I brought in hatching eggs from FRF, because in saving a breed that is rare you run into issues like this sometimes. I've had to cull other chicks of different breeds shortly after hatch, and hated doing it. The trouble is that if it survives and is weak or sickly sometimes you prolong its suffering and your own. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Hi, sad news, :(I just wanted to let you know that despite our efforts we lost the battle with our little chick.  It went to a better place this afternoon, God rest its soul.  As seen on one post we wish it back as a healthy chick any day. :chickout: Kind of fitting for Easter.
Thanks to all for your help.

#8 2013-03-31 23:25:59

poplar girl
Administrator

What an appropriate wish hollowridge, I also wish it back as a healthy chick :hatch:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2013-04-01 00:03:41

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Aw sorry to hear that.  Somethings are not meant to be as hard as we try and as much as we wish it.  We can only do our best for creatures in our charge, and you did.  :hug:

#10 2013-04-01 13:50:07

dahlisgrams

I'm really sorry about your chick Hollowridge. It's part of hatching, unfortunately.. :hug:

Maggiesdad wrote:

I have to agree. I have hatched lots of chicks of several breeds in the last 5 months and have had some that just weren't right and required culling. I've had Brabanters with severe neurological issues, spraddle leg and cross beak, Brahma with neurological issues, EOs with what looked like dislocated hips and failure to thrive, SFH with neurological issues, FTT, aggression towards other day olds and intestines outside of the body among other issues that required culling. In each case there was no hope of recovery and it seemed the kindest thing to do. The decision is never easy.

#11 2013-04-01 16:46:46

Qualicum Chick

I'm sorry you lost the chick.

dogs, parrots, chickens, ducks, husband ... not in order of importance! ;-)

Adverts

Board footer