Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-03-21 18:24:06

gubi
Website

first hatch 2013 has begun

And it appears to be a Spitz oiloa!  Couldn't resist starting to hatch right away after I separated the Spitz and EO's so could be a few more like this one.  I guess the old big boy still has it going on.  He walks with a limp and between him and the Spitz rooster they had 50 hens all winter.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

2013-03-21 18:24:06

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-03-21 22:49:19

Flat Rock Farm

Re: first hatch 2013 has begun

:congrats: I would love to see a spitzoiloa!!  :pics:

#3 2013-03-21 23:37:50

gubi
Website

I'll have to try to take that lid apart on the incubator after the hatch so I can see into it better for next hatch.  I got 4 chicks out of Spitz eggs so far and loads of pips.  I'll try to post some pictures of the Spitzoiloas in a couple of days.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2013-03-21 23:53:12

yardbirds

:jumping:  :congrats:  I have decided to get a couple of started EO pullets later after my impending hatch is complete and see what percentage of pullets I get this time around...If only I lived on an acreage....there would be plenty :chook::chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook:  :chook:  :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook:

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#5 2013-03-22 01:27:10

Flat Rock Farm

I know what you mean gubi.  I started once to take it apart so that I could clear it of the fluff but got scared I was going to break something :nervous:  I found a flashlight helped a lot :thumbs:

#6 2013-03-24 14:41:53

gubi
Website

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/5553_10151307244131227_724260701_n.jpg
Here are some of the chicks.  I believe the brown faced chicks would be pullets?  I have 9 spitzoiloa chicks hatched so far,  4 gold, 5 silver.  I also have 15 spitz and 3 EO's hatch so far.  I added the last eggs on Sunday night so I'm still hoping for a few more chicks.

#7 2013-03-24 14:51:31

yardbirds

:jumping:  they are mighty cute... :congrats:

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#8 2013-03-24 15:26:21

Micah and Kiah

Congrats gubi!  I will post photos of their 8 week old cousins if you like so you can see what a spitzoiloa looks like at that age... very very cute!  Gubi, could you help me test a theory?  I think that the cross creates a natural sex-linked chick.  I think that the spots on the heads indicate male.  Just a theory, could be totally wrong.  I had one with a spot on the head and one that was brown all over.  now they both look like Spitz.  CUTE

PS  Your Plucky is madly in love with elevator and is growing her feathers back in and leaving them alone!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#9 2013-03-24 15:41:30

NaturesPace
Website

Oh they are so cute. Love the coloring. Congrats on your first hatch of 2013!

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#10 2013-03-24 16:22:09

gubi
Website

Micah and Kiah wrote:

Congrats gubi!  I will post photos of their 8 week old cousins if you like so you can see what a spitzoiloa looks like at that age... very very cute!  Gubi, could you help me test a theory?  I think that the cross creates a natural sex-linked chick.  I think that the spots on the heads indicate male.  Just a theory, could be totally wrong.  I had one with a spot on the head and one that was brown all over.  now they both look like Spitz.  CUTE

PS  Your Plucky is madly in love with elevator and is growing her feathers back in and leaving them alone!

PG will have to correct me but yes yours should be sex linked with the spot on the head but mine are EO rooster over Spitz hen so should be sex linked too.  All mine have the dot which I belive means they will all be barred.  But 5 of mine have a yellow head and 4 of mine have a brown head.

#11 2013-03-24 16:57:51

Flat Rock Farm

:congrats: what beautiful chicks :love:  So a successful hatch with the new bator :wine:

#12 2013-03-24 23:22:55

mikencarol

Gubi.....How did you like the way the TurnX worked?  It took me a few times to kinda learn the dos and don't but after I got it down I hatched a ton of Quail eggs in mine..................Mike

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#13 2013-03-24 23:54:00

gubi
Website

I might need some lessons from you Mike.  I only had 3 out of 15 EO eggs hatch so far.  The Spitz I have 25 out of 37 hatch so far.  I had some issues with turning.  At first I had it turn too much and the turner crushed a couple of eggs and I'm not sure if I had it turning enough after that.  I had the eggs standing in the turner because they fit too tight when I had them laying down.  I also have some trouble with the humidity.  It seams at times that the water reservoir almost creates a vacuum inside and doesn't release any water into the bater and then all of a sudden the whole bottle gets sucked into the incubator.  So the humidity was too high at the start so then I ran it without water for a little bit.  Strange thing when it ran dry the temp increased to 101?  It held temperature almost perfect when there was water in there.  My hova ranges from 98-102, this one is within a half a degree.  I ran it at 99.5 but should increase it a bit for next hatch. 
Any pointers obvious or not that I should do for next hatch.  Mike?  Paula?

#14 2013-03-25 00:58:43

Island Girl

Wonderful looking chicks, congrats on the first hatch of 2013

XOX Monika

#15 2013-03-25 01:17:18

Flat Rock Farm

What I used to do with it gubi for the last three day is I filled the two flood tray in the incubator so I didn't notice that the water got sucked out all at once.  Maybe Mike can give some better pointers as I only had it for a year and a half :huh:  I had pretty good hatch rate with it??

#16 2013-03-25 02:36:43

mikencarol

....Gubi.....Hey Paula hit the nail on the head.  I have an old fashion water bottle that just slides in from the top but that is exactly what I do...l the last 3 days is fill two of the squares on the bottom of the plastic case with water and watch it and add as necessary.  I had turner problems....breaking eggs and not moving far enough to flip them over so what I started doing is placing the eggs in the turning rack before placing the cover and pushing the little button on top several cycles to make sure everything is working OK before I place the top on and actually start incubation.  I am able to check mine several times a day so if there is any doubt...I will open up by just raising one side and manually flip all my eggs over....sometimes you discover an egg that has a problem, by smell or just visually while flipping over.  These incubators will return to the proper temp quickly so I don't worry if I have to open several times a day.......after the first two weeks, I am cautious not to loose that warm moist air.  I also remove the egg grid and lay the eggs on their side from days 18-21.  I do this QUICKLY and cover the eggs with a towell to keep them warm during this....mail me if you have any questions but if you have a good % on the Spitz...you might have fertility problems with your EO's................holler..........Mike      :hatch:

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#17 2013-03-25 10:23:51

Flat Rock Farm

Just to add to what Mike said when taking the turner out for the last 3 days.  I have a small tote that I would put a towel in, once I had all the eggs in there I put the lid on top of that so that it would keep the eggs warm while I took the turner out and fill the two squares with water.

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2013-03-25 10:24:58)

#18 2013-03-25 10:31:29

yardbirds

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Just to add to what Mike said when taking the turner out for the last 3 days.  I have a small tote that I would put a towel in, once I had all the eggs in there I put the lid on top of that so that it would keep the eggs warm while I took the turner out and fill the two squares with water.

:thumbsup:  That's what I do too.  =D

#19 2013-03-25 12:40:19

gubi
Website

Thanks guys, I'll have to try that especially with the towel.  It did take me longer then I would have liked to get that turner out and the eggs back into the unit.  I had no external pips yet but lots of internal pips when I took the turner out.  I will take the turner out a day earlier next hatch. 

No fertility problem Mike just hatchability problems and I was hoping that this incubator will help me solve them.  Interesting thing is that other people have hatched eggs from me and had really good hatches. 

I have 3 more Spitz hatch last night and 2 more EO's are zipping.  These eggs I added on the 4th so they are on day 21.  The first chicks to hatch were very active and were looking for some food. These last 3 are just laying in there resting.  I'll clean up the incubator tomorrow and look at the unhatched eggs.

#20 2013-03-25 12:44:21

Flat Rock Farm

Well this is your first hatch with it.  You will get the hang of it :thumbs:

#21 2013-03-25 23:22:50

poplar girl
Administrator

Sounds like the poor run on EO hatch rates continues. I hope the ones that make it out are nice and healthy Gubi, I think I caused some curled toes on one of mine.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#22 2013-03-26 00:29:34

gubi
Website

got 7 more chicks in the incubator.  3 EO's and 4 spitz.  I hope the 3 Eo's still in the incubator have nice feet.  The first 3 didn't.  I had to cull one as his legs were both completely twisted and couldn't walk, the other two only have one slightly crooked toe.

Adverts

Board footer