Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-07-03 21:59:31

poplar girl
Administrator

How are EOs as a meat bird?

EOs are still quite rare so I don't believe too many people have harvested them. That said I'm sure a few have made it to the dinner table.

How many weeks for a rooster to be ready to butcher? What weight should one expect? Quality of the meat?

How about pullets, have any made it to the dinner table yet?

Please share your experience with the EO as a meat chicken.

Last edited by poplar girl (2011-07-03 22:00:28)

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2011-07-03 21:59:31

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-07-03 23:11:59

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: How are EOs as a meat bird?

One of the links Stefan posted http://gallinaswillyto.jimdo.com/mis-an … kal-oiloa/ said, I saw some other numbers too on one of the others, but i ahve to run.  Driving 3 hours down to work

"It is an excellent meat breed, males reach an excellent weight at 6 months, about 4kg."

#3 2011-07-04 02:03:48

gubi
Website

I butchered my 3 oldest boys at 16 weeks.  They were starting to cause too much trouble with the pullets and they younger chicks I have in the same pasture.  I didn't weigh the biggest one he's already eaten but the others weighed 1.3kg dressed and 1kg skinned and dressed, I took them out of the freezer.  There was a nice amount of fat on them too.  One thing I noticed that the white legged cockerels are also white skinned and the yellow legged cockerel seamed yellow skinned.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2011-07-04 02:28:28

poplar girl
Administrator

That is interesting about the shank and skin color gubi. I think I may end up harvesting some when my oldest are around 22 weeks, the younger around 18 weeks. I am running out of space!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2011-07-04 03:10:35

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

gubi wrote:

One thing I noticed that the white legged cockerels are also white skinned and the yellow legged cockerel seamed yellow skinned.

We have noticed that before.  If the legs are black, the colour of the sole or the toe webs is the colour of the skin.  The black pennies are white skinned, and the odd breeding cull with yellow webs is yellow skinned.  Pale blues seem to be white skinned.  :eat:

#6 2011-07-08 01:30:07

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

We are easily able to do black penedesencas at 16 weeks.  They are not enormous but about the size of say a Wyandotte at 22-4 weeks!  The Euskal oiloa do grow a little slower than our pennies but Euskal oiloak and Cuckoo Marans are still the next fastest to get tall then big of all the breeds we've had.

#7 2011-09-18 13:35:08

poplar girl
Administrator

We took all the extra roosters for processing on Friday, a mix of dorkings and EOs. 27 of them!

The 24 week olds are about 4 to 4.5 lbs. dressed. The 20 week olds are about 3.5 to 4 lbs. But there was definitely some variation within a group of one age and weights are a continuume from 3 lbs to almost 5 lbs. Some decent breast development it looks like but we haven't eaten any yet.  I can't tell the white skinned ones from the yellow skinned ones in the freezer bags or dorkings from EOs although I think the EOs have a rounder shape.

#8 2011-09-18 16:25:41

3riverschick
Website

poplar girl wrote:

We took all the extra roosters for processing on Friday, a mix of dorkings and EOs. 27 of them!

The 24 week olds are about 4 to 4.5 lbs. dressed. The 20 week olds are about 3.5 to 4 lbs. But there was definitely some variation within a group of one age and weights are a continuume from 3 lbs to almost 5 lbs. Some decent breast development it looks like but we haven't eaten any yet.  I can't tell the white skinned ones from the yellow skinned ones in the freezer bags or dorkings from EOs although I think the EOs have a rounder shape.

==================
Hi,
Like the Sussex, the different color varieties in EO's have different principal functions. 
Gorria .. mixed
Lepasoila... meat
Marraduna .. eggs
Best,
Karen                                       :EO:

Karen Tewart
"The present is best served when we remember the past."

#9 2011-09-18 17:59:06

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

That`s not bad PG, they dressed at more than we would get wyandottes, welsummer, EEs  etc at that age.  The Dorkings will be long flatter breasts.  When DH breasted some out last year he couldn't do them in one cut (like all the others) because the breasts were so long front to back.   Any blue leggers will look white skinned too.

Adverts

Board footer