Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-03-03 14:32:34

Ruralmeg

Hello from Peterborough County (Ontario)

Hello poultry people!

I can't remember where I first saw or heard about Euskal Oiloa chickens. It could have been Poultry Swap Ontario.. regardless, I'm interested! For years I've kept hybrid layers and I'm able to sell all the pastured eggs I can produce. I'm just well situated.  From the idea of adding a few more interesting birds to the flock to amuse my customers has sprung a strong interest in keeping some birds that specifically amuse me! Euskal Oiloa Marraduna birds are beautiful!

I'm far from being a breeder of purebred stock and admit that if I was going to begin selecting seriously for replacement stock or for some to sell, I would be looking at thriftiness and productivity before some of the other more showy standards.  Euskal Oiloa birds might suit me well as I have read they are great grazers with a willingness to thrive.  I might just end up building a flock of production Euskals..

I'm about to try by putting my first EO eggs into the incubator later this month. (March)

Meg.

2013-03-03 14:32:34

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-03-03 14:38:36

Susan
Administrator

Re: Hello from Peterborough County (Ontario)

Welcome Meg! I am sure you won't be disappointed in them :EO:

#3 2013-03-03 15:17:28

Flat Rock Farm

Welcome Meg :jumping:

I recognize you from PSO, you PM's me regarding some eggs for end of March which I could not provide (pre-existing order) so I hope you found someone to get some eggs for your time frame :thumbs:.

You will love these birds, they are everything you have heard about them and more :EO:

Glad you could join us here :thumbsup:

#4 2013-03-03 15:28:53

poplar girl
Administrator

:welcome: Meg! I have been monitoring egg production of my EOs the past month or so as I collect hatching eggs and I have to say some of them are just phenomenal. Big eggs and very steady producers. But there is some variation between birds for sure so with selection I think egg production could certainly be improved further.

And no question the marraduna are beautiful. I have to say though the gorria are also starting to grow on me. Good thing the rest of the varieties didn't make it to Canada!!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2013-03-03 15:38:45

Maggiesdad

:welcome: To the EOCF! :EO:

You will love them! :excited:

#6 2013-03-03 15:39:06

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Hi Meg, welcome.  I too have EO's but would not yet consider myself a breeder.  I will work with the birds I have and then one day, I will achieve my goal.

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#7 2013-03-03 15:53:34

Micah and Kiah

Flat Rock Farm, she found someone to get her eggs :whistle:  Welcome Meg!  I am so glad you signed on!  You will meet lots of amazing people and get lots of valuable advice.  Elevator and the girls are meeting today.  I will try to post some fresh photos.  Hey, I will be in  Rockton on the 4th for a poultry workshop if you would rather get eggs them otherwise we'll stick to the plan. Elevator was an egg from Skeffling Lavender Farm.  The girls are pullets from Gubi. 
Welcome :EO:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#8 2013-03-03 16:08:29

Flat Rock Farm

M&K I am glad Meg found you for eggs :thumbs: I never got a response back :huh:  RBF has pre-booked for 3 doz. for end of March, I can only squeeze the girls so hard :shock:

#9 2013-03-03 20:35:44

riverbendfarm
Website

Yay for RBF! Wait...thats me...YAY ME! :excited: We can't wait for your eggs to arrive! I will be setting them in a hatch by themselves, or perhaps with a few Pennies. :whistle: I'll be banding these birds as FRF line, and crossing them back to my own, which all come from Claire. And :welcome: to the forum! This is a great spot!

Last edited by riverbendfarm (2013-03-03 20:36:28)

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#10 2013-03-03 22:52:09

Micah and Kiah

Meg, you might even discover some EO lovers who live near you on this forum.  Always nice to have folks near and far excited about the same breed.  I won't be at all offended if you decide to get the eggs closer to home.  If/when you come my way for eggs, it would be great if we could co-orindate things so you can meet some of the people on the forum who live in this part of Ontario! There is around 7 of us I think... Remember we talked about the breed and colour being a work in progress, some of the folks here have been dedicated at working with this beautiful breed for some years now! I believe Claire, the forum founder, started with EOs eight years ago. :happycrowd"

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#11 2013-03-03 22:58:31

gubi
Website

Hi Meg, welcome to the EO site.  I have seen you post on PSO before too and at first thought you were someone that bought some EO pullets from me last year but I guess you are not that same person.  I do believe that EO's will do great for you.  I raise mine with electric nets outdoors and they do very well that way.  The EO's are great layers for a pure breed and have exceptional tasty meat!  And at least at this point you will get a bit of a variety in colours too still.  :EO:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#12 2013-03-04 02:07:35

Ruralmeg

Wow.. I DO feel welcome!

Sorry Flat Rock Farm for not getting back to you.  I should have.. I know.

Micah and Kiah.. I don't KNOW anyone else with EO's.  And Yes.. I would meet you in Rockton. I would really really prefer to pick up the eggs than have them shipped and Rockton would save me alot of driving. Could you do it??

*containing my excitement*

#13 2013-03-04 02:52:33

Flat Rock Farm

Ah no worries Meg, I have had many messages on PSO go into cyber space sometimes and I thought it happened again :P

#14 2013-03-04 05:23:00

dahlisgrams

Welcome Meg! You're really going to love the EOs. :welcome:

#15 2013-03-05 05:30:13

Micah and Kiah

Will May 4th be ok for you? I'd love to may your drive shorter.   I'll be at the Poultry Pavillion at Rockton World's Fair Grounds.  It is a workshop on Breeding, Growing, and Selling Standard Bred Poultry for small flock heritage breeders.   I could meet you after the workshop or we could go to the workshop together, whatever works best for you!  :excited:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#16 2013-03-05 20:13:42

Ruralmeg

Thank you Micah and Kiah, I would like to pickup some eggs in Rockton. javascript:insert_text(':roadtrip:',%20'');
I had planned to add the EO eggs to some others I was going to incubate towards the end of March but I definately think that there is a BIG advantage to waiting and doing an EO hatch on it's own.

Let me think about the workshop.  I'm on my own here and May's getting busy. I don't have anyone to leave the chores to so I may want to make my trip efficient.

There's some spring-like sun out there today!

Meg

#17 2013-03-05 20:24:10

Amblecroft
Website

Hi Meg,  Welcome to the forum.  It is full of great enthusiasts and we love our EOs.  I live in Millbrook so you are more than welcome to come by and meet the breed.  I'll be hatching some more out in the Spring.   They are a really fun bird!

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#18 2013-03-09 20:49:48

kenya

Hi Meg!! Welcome,  great bunch of people on this site. :thumbsup:

#19 2013-05-04 22:01:42

Ruralmeg

I did it! I have some! I'm a member now... almost!

:) I have some EO's eggs going into the incubator.
Three short.. (but very loooong) weeks until I can hover over the 'bator in long awaited anticipation of EO's of my very own.

Oh! EO's!

OH OH EEE OOO's!

Hurray! EEEE!! OOOOOOh's!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Oh!

Ok I really am practicing the pronunciation. Uooskal Oil-Oh-a's
Pucker up and say it.. UOOSKAL OIL-OH!-AS!

HOLA!

#20 2013-05-04 23:57:31

Flat Rock Farm

:excited:

#21 2013-05-05 00:39:22

poplar girl
Administrator

You won't be disappointed in them. Every year between hatching seasons in fact I forget how friendly they are and how much personality they have and then get to fall in love with them all over again :love:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#22 2013-05-05 12:30:54

Maggiesdad

Ruralmeg wrote:

I did it! I have some! I'm a member now... almost!

:) I have some EO's eggs going into the incubator.
Three short.. (but very loooong) weeks until I can hover over the 'bator in long awaited anticipation of EO's of my very own.

Oh! EO's!

OH OH EEE OOO's!

Hurray! EEEE!! OOOOOOh's!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Oh!

Ok I really am practicing the pronunciation. Uooskal Oil-Oh-a's
Pucker up and say it.. UOOSKAL OIL-OH!-AS!

HOLA!

Oh no no no! It's

ayOOOHskulWAYahs, really fast. Keep practicing, you've got about 20 days to get it right! =D

Basque Hens works, too! :congrats:

#23 2013-05-05 15:21:27

Ruralmeg

I think we both might  be wrong..?

Here's a Basque pronunciation website: (but I find it hard to get into... harumph!)

http://aholab.ehu.es/tts/

It sounds to me like Esh KELL Oil oh ah

Last edited by Ruralmeg (2013-05-05 15:23:02)

#24 2013-05-05 15:38:22

gubi
Website

I think you're all wrong but them I'm reading your pronunciations in a Swiss-German accent! :P  I bumped the thread with the interview with Miguel Angel García about the Llodiana so you can listen to the correct pronunciation.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#25 2013-05-05 15:51:13

Maggiesdad

I was just pulling your leg Ruralmeg! I'll be the first to admit I don't know how to say it!

Miguel Angel should definitely be an authority, tho... He is the president of Eoalak.

Adverts

Board footer