Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-09-15 11:43:22

poplar girl
Administrator

Does he stay or does he go?!?

Tomorrow morning is Dday for all the extra roosters. They will all be packed up first thing (as in at 6am, before it is even light) for a two hour trip to St Paul and come back in body bags :sick:

So...my April hatch chicks from SLF the roosters have always been very aggressive. Like as chicks they acted like puppies and tugged on my sleeve and pecked my hands and now as adults they still try to do this To my pant leg and shoes. The most aggressive is the best rooster in my opinion. He is big and wide, yellow shanks, no white in his tail. But has a side sprig and too much grey in his feathering.

When I enter the rooster pen he is at the gate. He sometimes dances for me and then crowds me and will sometimes peck my feet. I generally wear gloves so that at this point I can pick him up. Sometimes he will try to bite my hand at this point. I carry him around under my arm for a bit. Sometimes he will try to wiggle away but will never try to peck me once I am holding him.

Last weekend a friend who paints was over taking pictures. (aside here, she is an amazing painter and my birds are highly likely to be immortalized in her paintings!). I took him out of the pen (she had sandals on so I would not let her go in) and I set him outside. He stuck with us, danced and strutted around for a good ten minutes. No attempt to leave us. He IS friendly, just aggressive. At the end, I picked him up and put him back and he stuck to my legs like glue.

I would like to keep him but I will not deal with a rooster that i have to fight with every day. Over winter conditions will be cramped (especially with one more rooster) and he will need to be handled alot. I am planning to keep 3 other EO roosters.

So does he stay or go tomorrow?
I will try to find a picture...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2011-09-15 11:43:22

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-09-15 11:54:34

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Does he stay or does he go?!?

Okay, here is a picture taken last weekend.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/9b8785b3.png

I need to leg band the ones who are staying today so we can find them in the dark tomorrow morning!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2011-09-15 12:50:36

Susan
Administrator

PG he is very nice. I know what you mean about pain in the butt boys. I have 2 and they are both well built and colored. One has the hint of side sprigs. I am having the same dilemma. 3 out of 5 on my scale: leg colour, markings and size good. Comb and attitude, less so but not horrible. Its a tough call, but I know I do want friendly birds. Maybe that answers my question and yours too (?)

#4 2011-09-15 13:58:25

poplar girl
Administrator

Maybe it does Susan :(

I am wondering if he will act differently once not in a big group of other roosters? This thought is making me think that I will keep him for a few more weeks and see. The problem is what to do with him if his attitude stays poor.

#5 2011-09-15 20:08:48

3riverschick
Website

poplar girl wrote:

Tomorrow morning is Dday for all the extra roosters. They will all be packed up first thing (as in at 6am, before it is even light) for a two hour trip to St Paul and come back in body bags :sick:

I would like to keep him but I will not deal with a rooster that i have to fight with every day. Over winter conditions will be cramped (especially with one more rooster) and he will need to be handled alot. I am planning to keep 3 other EO roosters.

So does he stay or go tomorrow?
I will try to find a picture...

===================
Who cares how good he is, if he's territorial?  :huh:  Has a side sprig anyway, cull him. I agree, roosters with attitude which goes beyond friendly and gallant are a huge pain.  :banginghead:  Esp. when temperament is such a hallmark of this breed. I spent over  a year with 2 marans  rooster in 2 flocks in separate pens..each time I wanted to work in the coop, they had to be in the yard and vice versa. What a pain!  :banginghead: I finally culled them this summer, and life is much better. :thumbsup:
Best,

Last edited by 3riverschick (2011-09-15 20:09:47)

Karen Tewart
"The present is best served when we remember the past."

#6 2011-09-15 20:41:35

Susan
Administrator

Is he Sparkle's son?  He looks a lot like him. My 2 that I am debating about are also Sparkle's sons. As a cockeral, Sparkle nipped a bit but nothing serious. He was carried around constantly by my daughter. He is now a gentleman though I find that as the next generation of boys is growing up, he is getting annoyed. The other day he pecked my leg. I picked him up and carried him around a bit and now all seems okay again. I think with these guys, they are naturally alpha males but are smart enough to respond to reminders that they can rule the roost, but not us. I've had nasty roos before and these guys are nothing like that. The other thing is that my 2 boys are by far the best choice to keep other than this behavior. They are much better coloured, their shanks are bright yellow and they are big. Its a tough call. Not easy at all.

#7 2011-09-15 23:48:48

Island Girl

pg, I am just curious, you say that he has no white in his tail ... I see white and black barring and also white fluff where his tail starts. Am I looking in the wrong areas? Also my laptop pixels are really off color in places, this may be the problem :P I just want to make sure I know what to look for when we are talking about good color traits.

XOX Monika

#8 2011-09-16 00:20:50

gubi
Website

I know exactly what you are talking about with the attitude.  My first EO batch roosters where that way too. it was cute when they were chickies in the basement when they pecked at the hair on my arms not so much when they got bigger.  We ate all of ours but none of them where keepers.  I think the EO's are a smart breed and learn very fast,  these roosters are not mean aggressive and can be taught to behave, but since you already have 3 others to keep and he does have some white in his wing too?  Your other option is to wait and see and possibly process him yourself later if he's too much of a pain, he is a very nice looking rooster and I would have a hard time making the decision too.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#9 2011-09-16 00:24:12

gubi
Website

IG most Eo roosters end up with some white or partial white feathers in their tail like my avatar where the main sickle feather is partially white.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#10 2011-09-16 00:50:53

poplar girl
Administrator

All good points. He does have white on his wing and a side sprig. He has white "fluff" but no white sickle feathers yet. Susan he is not Sparkles son, he is from Claire's direct. Wellington is Sparkles son and seems better behaved than this guy but is also smaller. Two of four of my roosters are Black Horse Ranch. All have faults

I banded him. I can still put him in a box though tomorrow morning. One of his brothers attacked me today little monster. That attitude is sure going to make them taste good :eat:

I may give him a few weeks...or not :banginghead:

#11 2011-09-16 01:27:44

Island Girl

This doesn't sound like an easy decision for you to have to make. If you can give him a few more weeks and it won't hurt anything then why not wait. For me, there is usually a defining moment and then I know which way to go. Good luck!

XOX Monika

#12 2011-09-16 01:39:55

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Island Girl wrote:

This doesn't sound like an easy decision for you to have to make. If you can give him a few more weeks and it won't hurt anything then why not wait. For me, there is usually a defining moment and then I know which way to go. Good luck!

I agree.  No white yet, sometimes it takes a bit longer to show up.  He is nice and big and wide and not completely evil, if he steps over the mark or white feathers come in on the tail, then maybe that is strike 3?  He looks a lot like his dad, but your boy looks thicker set, and smaller comb, a nicer bird.  I can always send more eggs next year too of that's any consolation if you do have to let him go... :oops:

#13 2011-09-16 01:57:22

poplar girl
Administrator

Ah Claire that does help. I may want Specky eggs if you will have some.

I am leaning toward the give him a couple weeks. Thing is I am in Germany for the first week of October so a couple weeks is all he can have.

#14 2011-09-16 02:22:16

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Well he is top roo in the layer coop right now, I will certainly send some if he is still going strong, he'll be 4 by then! ;)  i think soem of his sons might be OK, there's 3 I have my eye on!

#15 2011-09-16 11:15:09

poplar girl
Administrator

Well I think I have decided.

He will go.

Headed out (into the rain :( ) very shortly to start loading birds.

#16 2011-09-16 12:29:54

poplar girl
Administrator

27 roosters and 2 turkeys loaded. The boy in question is in one of the unmarked boxes. On our way...

#17 2011-09-16 15:37:20

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Good luck and enjoy all that fine roast chicken! :chook:  I personally don't fancy chicken for about a week after, but we usually do our own and the smell gets in your nose! :eat:

#18 2011-09-17 00:26:54

poplar girl
Administrator

Letting him go was the right decision for me. When I got home and headed out to the chickens it was really a great feeling to be down to only roosters that are respectful.

1 silver grey dorking rooster about 15 months, has always behaved
1 grandpa EO, again has always behaved
Wellie, 4.5 months, snuggled in my lap for cuddles
Oliver (how does the name fit?) only a couple month old EO so far very nice little guy.
And three tiny purple rooster. Two are super friendly, the third is a bit standoffish but has been fine

Yep, Peace in the coop for now :thumbs:

#19 2011-09-17 01:12:10

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:thumbsup: Great!  What a nice feeling!

#20 2011-09-17 03:20:42

Island Girl

Glad to hear it pg, peace in the coop is a good thing! :thumbs:

XOX Monika

Adverts