Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-02-07 15:37:46

picis peeps

Home Made Incubator

My DH made his own incubator with automatic egg turner and successfully hatched 6 eggs.  We think we have 3 EOs and 3 EO/Cochin mixed.  The other 5 eggs did not hatch methinks because they had gotten too cold before we brought them in from the coop as we had below -40 for a few days that week.  We had listened to your  advice and only tried eggs that were 1-5 days old.  The EOs were the first to hatch and are so inquisitive.  They are now just over a week old and are starting to get their feathers.  The little cochin x are so cute with their little feathered legs.  Our cochin hen is a little shy of us so we are hoping that crossing her with an EO will produce some friendly little ladies.  Once again I have tried to copy and paste a picture on this forum but you know how good I am with these technical thingummybobs!  Bear with me, if I don't succeed today I will keep trying.

/Users/m_picton/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Masters/2013/02/06/20130206-210752/DSC03031.JPG

2013-02-07 15:37:46

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-02-07 16:17:10

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Home Made Incubator

:congrats: on your hatch with the homemade incubator :cheer:  If you have trouble attaching pictures you can email it one of us and can attach it for you.

#3 2013-02-08 01:50:43

choctawgal
Website

:congrats:

I'm excited for you! 

I'm going to have to live vicariously through everyone elses' hatches.  I got rid of my Hova and Little Giant because all the nooks and cranies were worrying me about infection control, since we are currently fighting Merek's and Mycoplasma Gallum.  I'm holding out for anything with non-porous surfaces that I can disinfect and not have my "hospital infection control brain" bother me.

I can't wait to see your EO/Cochin mixes!  They sound like the potential for cuteness is there for sure!  ;)  I'm in love with my Frizzle Cochin/EO, "Brillo."  He is coloring out to be Marraduna!  LOL

Anyway... WHOO HOO!  So happy for you and the new chickies!!!!!

Jenn

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

#4 2013-02-08 02:36:33

Chrish

Cool I like the idea of an home made incubator. I did an home made hatcher i just put eggs in for lock down. :thumbsup::congrats:

Hobby farmer raising food the way nature intended. Dexter cows, Berkshire pigs, heritage breed Chickens,
Euskal Oiloa, Barred Plymouth Rock, and a wish list as long as my arm. Twitter @crookhousefarm

#5 2013-02-08 05:39:57

Micah and Kiah

What is Mycoplasma Gallum?

Looking forward to seeing photos of the incubator and the chicks!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#6 2013-02-08 21:42:58

choctawgal
Website

Micah and Kiah wrote:

What is Mycoplasma Gallum?

Its a chronic respiratory disease that can pass from the hen through the egg and infect the chicks before hatch.  I had 3 born with goopy eyes and snotty noses.. really struggling to breathe and couldn't keep their eyes clean often enough for them to see where to eat or drink.  It was very heart wrenching! :sad:

After that I got rid of the Styro 'bators.  My hospital/infection control mind has never been 100% okay with all the pores in the Styrofoam.  The next bator I will get will have smooth surfaces I can disinfect with confidence.  I have a feeling it will e a while, dagnabbit!!

Jenn

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

Adverts

Board footer