Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-09-14 05:57:34

Island Girl

Day 21 is tomorrow, not a pip or peep yet!

Will I sleep or keep running downstairs to look through the incubator window at the non-hatched eggs? Usually I have the 'bator set up in the spare room next to the master bedroom but for some important reason (at that time) which I can't even recall now ... I decided to put it downstairs. When the hatching took place upstairs I would always hear the first peep in the shell and then of course start the 24/7 vigil of 'watching the hatch', now I am making myself :Crazy: wondering whats going on down there? I am freaking out because there isn't even a pip yet and who knows if there has been any peeping going on ?? I am so excited I can hardly stand myself and so worried that I can hardly understand why I do this to myself. Oh yes, I know I am rambling but its the best I can do for now. Usually I bake muffins when the hatch starts to distract myself, but my back and wrist and shoulder hurt so much from canning non stop this week that I can't muster the strength to bake. Old dental assisting injuries (SLF, take care of those body parts) 20+ years of repetitive strain hurts when you are old and cranky like me :P OK rambling again ... think I'll go downstairs for a quick peek, don't worry I won't open it up!

XOX Monika

2011-09-14 05:57:34

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-09-14 11:39:33

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Day 21 is tomorrow, not a pip or peep yet!

:cheer: GO little EOs GO :cheer:

Hey, you had asked about how I like my humidity pump and I got distracted and didn't respond. So now to try to distract you...I do like it, alot. I only have to fill the tank once or twice during the incubation. But I do watch the tubing carefully to ensure it doesn't get holes. It is a little peristalsic pump so where the tubing wraps around gets worn through. The best part of the humidity pump is during the hatch, if it is a long drawn out process I don't have to worry about the water going dry.  The chicks have been so nice and fluffy and dry no mater if they hatch early or late. With the hovabator I found the later chicks never really fluffed up like they should, sort of sticky. Not sure though if that is a humidity think, I thought it was.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2011-09-14 17:03:34

Island Girl

heehee thanks for the cheering squad =D I am still feeling a little stressed because I have never  tried to hatch out eggs from so far away, and the wonky air sacks are well ... wonky! Still no action as of this morning, thank goodness I have a clogging class at noon to keep me occupied for a few hours! I guess I am used to seeing something at this point, if not just a little pip. Maybe these guys plan to just pip and zip and have a 'short labor' for me :P

XOX Monika

#4 2011-09-14 21:53:25

Susan
Administrator

Maybe your temp was a bit lower and therefore they are slow. I bet they all pip and hatch quickly once they start. Go babies!!

#5 2011-09-14 23:05:18

gubi
Website

good luck with the hatch.  Lets hope for lots of EO babies in BC.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2011-09-14 23:19:43

Lisa

IG,

Hang in there!!! I know it's nerve wracking, but once it starts you'll be happy!!!!

Go chickies Go!!   :cheer::cheer::cheer:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#7 2011-09-15 00:07:03

poplar girl
Administrator

My Brinsea was calibrated about 0.5C too low. Have you checked yours or used it before?
:cheer: GO EOs GO :cheer:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#8 2011-09-15 02:07:45

Island Girl

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone, I raced home after clogging lessons and still nothing. Oh there will be lots of coffee and 'bator watching tonite. You will probably hear a sigh of relief all the way to Ontario if they start to pip. I have used the incubator before and had a successful hatch. The 2 brinsea spot checks are reading 100.2 & 100.3 at the same area and the incubator thermometer is bang on at 99.5 at a slightly different height/area than the 2 digital spot checks. So I think the temp is fine and the humidity is reading at 65%, a little higher than I am used to but the basement is more more humid than upstairs. :whistle: time to be patient!

XOX Monika

#9 2011-09-15 02:39:24

Island Girl

OK so bare with me here and before you ask .. no this is not my first time hatching, although its beginning to feel like it. :P  If I set these eggs at 10:30am on Sept 25th would you count the 25th as day 1 or would you count the 26th at 10:30am day 1? Cause ... if the 26th at 10:30am is day 1 then day 21 would be tomorrow at 10:30am not today, hmmmm :oops:. Feeling like a newbie here!!

XOX Monika

#10 2011-09-15 11:32:52

poplar girl
Administrator

I think today will be THE day!

#11 2011-09-15 12:56:44

Susan
Administrator

If it makes you feel better, a lot of my hatches were late this year.  Breathe. Those are big chicks about to hatch. They need time :)

#12 2011-09-15 14:30:35

Flat Rock Farm

IG I always count the next day as day 1, I agree with PG I think you will see something by today.  I love to hatch but yes it is a bit stressful, you will love these babies they are so friendly and curious right from the get go.
Keep us updated!
Paula

#13 2011-09-15 16:02:13

Island Girl

:jumping: one pip! Yup today is the day =D

XOX Monika

#14 2011-09-15 17:37:27

Susan
Administrator

Yay! Bet you'll have all your babies out by tonight! :happybday:  EO babies!

#15 2011-09-16 00:03:18

gubi
Website

IG I have made that mistake too.  I guess we are all just too impatient and want those chickies NOW!  Congrats on the first pip.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

Adverts

Board footer