Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-02-04 17:40:05

NaturesPace
Website

Lethargic pullet

3 days ago i notice one of my Orpington pullets sitting in the bedding f the coop. i thought she might have been ghere because it was cold or she didnt like the nesting boxes that were unoccupied at the time. But thenext day she was doing the same thing when the rest of the flock was free ranging.

First, i thought she might be going broody, but when i approached her she didnt growl or fluff up at me. Then I thought she must be egg bound. I brought he inside and filled pan with warm water to let her soak in. She didn't fuss too much and stayed in the water for about 15 minutes. My DH set up a cage with water, food and bedding in a spare bathroom. I put her in there with the room heated. She is not eating too much and I don't think she is drinking much at all. I got her to eat fermented food and some sprouts and she liked eating sunflower seeds, but not too many.

She has not passed an egg and I don't feel an egg near the end of her vent. She was my best layer this winter and I think she stopped laying a couple of weeks ago. I thought she was going to molt, but she doesn't seem to be doing that either. She is almost a year old.

I don't hear and difficulties beathing, her feet seem fine and she can walk.

Any ideas? Should I keep her isolated longer?

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

2013-02-04 17:40:05

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-02-04 17:45:39

Island Girl

Re: Lethargic pullet

If you are ok giving her the extra tlc and she can stay in the heated room, I would continue to do so.  Maybe encourage her to drink using an eyedropper full of water. Its tough to decide how much to help and whether to break out any meds. Is she a special girl for breeding or a pet?

XOX Monika

#3 2013-02-04 17:47:01

dahlisgrams

Does she seem thin? I would keep her separate for a while longer and watch her. Maybe try putting some vitamins in the water and giving her some with a small dropper. I hope she's okay... :huh:

Last edited by dahlisgrams (2013-02-04 17:47:43)

#4 2013-02-04 18:01:05

NaturesPace
Website

she is not thin. she is huge english orpington and very heavy. i have ACV in her water, but i could give vitamins too.
Thanks

#5 2013-02-05 03:28:23

Micah and Kiah

Try a vit/min mix.  Is her crop ok?  are her nostrils clear?  How about her eyes and skin... are her waddles or comb lighter than normal?  You might want to do a prophalactic treatment for parasites too.  Hope she is feeling better soon!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#6 2013-02-05 03:51:00

NaturesPace
Website

Micah and Kiah wrote:

Try a vit/min mix.  Is her crop ok? Crop feels good. are her nostrils clear?  Clear. How about her eyes and skin... are her waddles or comb lighter than normal?  Bright red. You might want to do a prophalactic treatment for parasites too.  Hope she is feeling better soon!

She drop a few HUGE poos today. Kind of like a broody. I gave her some wooden eggs to see if she puts them under herself.

IG, somehow I missed you comment. She is special, but I feel that way about most of my :chook:
She is one of my favorites thou. Big, friendly, lays lots of nice eggs and is splash, in color. I was going to breed her this spring for more EO/Orpington mixes.

Depending on how she looks tomorrow I might let her out with the flock and see how she acts. If she is still blah, I bring her back in. Should be warm tomorrow afternoon here.

#7 2013-02-05 14:50:29

dahlisgrams

Why is it always the special ones? I hope she recovers and it turns out to be nothing. :hug:

Adverts

Board footer