Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-02-02 02:52:18

mikencarol

Fumeigating Hatching Eggs

..:huh:  Does anyone fumeigate their hatching eggs before incubating.  I didn't write down the numbers but in my Humidaire and my Spoetsmen incubators last summer...it seemed to help the hatch %.....????   Mike

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

2013-02-02 02:52:18

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-02-02 04:53:48

Maggiesdad

Re: Fumeigating Hatching Eggs

Haven't heard of this. How could this be good? :huh:

#3 2013-02-02 08:13:07

Island Girl

Fumigate, I have visions of body armour with a backpack spray attachment and a facemask, lol. I hardly even wipe my eggs as its important to keep the eggs natural protective coating intact. Bacteria has a tough time getting through mother natures natural barrier. Tell us about this mikencarol I am curious.

XOX Monika

#4 2013-02-02 15:12:07

Maggiesdad

I don't even wipe the eggs I set. I have scraped some chunkys and pineflakes off with the edge of a knife... I do strive for clean nest boxes and non muddy feet but I want the natural bloom on there. There again, I only got 50% hatchrate last year, too :whistle:

My broody girls (6) had 100% hatch excluding those that were stepped on and cracked... one thing I noticed - after 16-18 days under the hen, those eggs were polished like gemstones!

#5 2013-02-02 22:46:30

mikencarol

........Mississippi State University has a pretty good article on it or you can just search 'Fumigating Chicken Eggs'...I am not advocating this...I just know of people doing it.  Of course they are setting eggs from who - knows -where and there is no telling about the health of the embro or the condition of the egg shell.  All they are looking for is big numbers to be able to sell day-olds......?????? I am curiopus about some of your opinions?????

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#6 2013-02-02 23:30:24

Flat Rock Farm

I have heard of people making up dips for their eggs either from Tylan or diluted bleach.  I have never done either, I just pick off the chunkers and set them :huh:

#7 2013-02-02 23:37:12

Micah and Kiah

I now do the bleach thing, started it with the first expensive batch from B.C.  I follow the directions Claire posted on her website.  I finally clued into using distilled water when I do finally add water to the bator (very humid where we hatch)  Three little incubators going now!  Would love to learn more about the fumigating process, how does it affect the hatch rate?

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#8 2013-02-03 03:33:16

riverbendfarm
Website

My broody girls (6) had 100% hatch excluding those that were stepped on and cracked... one thing I noticed - after 16-18 days under the hen, those eggs were polished like gemstones!

Get your feather duster out MD! You could do an experiment. If you dust them vigorously both top and bottom at least 6-8 times a day and cluck at them in a motherly tone I'm certain your hatch rate will skyrocket! :thumbs:

Last edited by riverbendfarm (2013-02-03 03:33:44)

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#9 2013-02-03 15:39:38

dahlisgrams

Interesting.. I've done mild oxine dips for other hatches but for the hatch I just set I only rinsed the dirtiest egg in very warm water and sprayed it quickly with oxine. The others I did nothing to whatsoever as most of them looked great. I do use a bit of oxine in the water in the incubator so nothing nasty grows in it and also use it to clean it up after the hatch is over... :sick:

It's a test to see if I get better hatch rates. :whistle:

Adverts

Board footer