Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-01-21 03:13:25

Island Girl

The eggs are NOT in the 'bator

Yes I said Not :( I actually  woke up with a start at 4:45am yesterday morning realizing that I had inadvertently added a hen that Debbie had returned to me, into my breeding flock. She is a gorgeous, yellow legged, friendly, heavy set hen with lovely color, perfect for the breeding flock. :banginghead: but she had been with MrOr previously and my breeding hens had been with the breeding roo for a month. I completely overlooked this and started collecting eggs. :duh: I made the decision to stop incubating the eggs that I had started the night before, they were checked for fertility and then scrambled for the dogs. I can't believe that I did this and yes I could have continued incubating and I still would have had beautiful pure EOs but I want to be 100% sure of which chicks are from which roo. Oh well I will wait the required time again and then start collecting again...just a delay,  the good thing is I can read "The Call of the Hen" some more and maybe make some breeding hen modifications!

XOX Monika

2013-01-21 03:13:25

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-01-21 03:38:21

Maggiesdad

Re: The eggs are NOT in the 'bator

Argggh! :(

#3 2013-01-21 04:29:31

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh how disappointing Monika. But as you say the girls will make more eggs.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2013-01-21 12:29:43

poplar girl
Administrator

Monika are all the hens you are collecting eggs from the marraduna color?

If they are all marraduna you should know that you would be able to tell Mr. Orr's chicks from the rest. The pullets will all be gorria and the chicks will all be heterozygous for barring, both traits you wil be able to see as they feather out. And if Mr. Orr were in with only gorria hens you could very easily tell those chicks from the marraduna as all will be gorria. So if it helps with your breeding plans you could set eggs from both roosters at the same time in either of those two cases.

If Mr. Orr has some marraduna girls or you young rooster has some gorria girls than the above will NOT be true and you will need to keep the hatches separate.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2013-01-21 18:01:39

Island Girl

Hi pg :group talking: Mr Orr is actually housed with my layers. I have two main outdoor runs at this time. One is for the breeding flock and one is for the layers. My plan was to switch roos after I have collected enough from the younger roo mating (he really needs a name) and then breed Mr Orr to the breeding girls, of course after waiting the appropriate amount of time. My breeding flock has both the Maraduna and the Gorria as well as a couple Mille Fleur girls as they are hefty, friendly girls with thick yellow legs. I actually didn't think that I would be able to see the differences as easily as you described. For some reason it is stuck in my head that both roos would throw both Gorria and Marraduna regardless of which hens they were with :oops: now you have me thinking that I could actually rearrange my coops with more specific mating plans. Hmmmm...

XOX Monika

Adverts

Board footer