Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-01-21 05:44:20

Island Girl

Early spring fertility rate

So of the 24 eggs that I had collected for incubation and then opened up instead, 19 had the telltale bullseye and 5 did not. That is a 71% fertility rate, is that acceptable fertility rate this time of year with a young roo?

XOX Monika

2013-01-21 05:44:20

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-01-21 12:39:16

Maggiesdad

Re: Early spring fertility rate

Hmmm, so a maybe a hen has problems or is just not getting covered?

Roosters definitely have favorites, and maybe the larger size flock has left somebody out.

This is another plus for the smaller trio or quad set up, it's easier to pinpoint where there may be problems, and his attention is more focused.

With the four days rain I got last week it was easy to see who the favorite girls were, their backs were extra muddy, and several were clean. I should have checked comb size against muddy backs, I read somewhere recently that roos pick the bigger, redder combed girls...

Of the 5 eggs not fertile, how did the yolks compare in structure, color and strength to those that were fertile?And could you judge by the outside shell were all 5 from the same hen? Also remember egg shaped eggs hatch best, don't be setting torpedoes and golfballs, they don't hatch as well and for those that do, those characteristics are highly heritable.

I think. Remember, I'm still a noob! =D

Adverts

Board footer