Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-01-18 19:40:35

riverbendfarm
Website

Frostbitten Feet!

I found that my little millie pullet has frostbite on her feet today. It has been as low as -17 around here and there is a heat lamp in her coop, but she isn't very big. She had been standing strangely for a bit and when I inspected her I found this:

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj587/riverbendfarmss/81B3A586-5A7C-46B1-8901-D3EF015E3A54-38103-000032F5EE9D043E.jpg

I moved her inside and warmed her up, but she appears to be entering shock (closed eyes, listless, no sounds) I already lost one bird to cold this winter and I don't want to lose Zipper. What should I do now?

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

2013-01-18 19:40:35

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-01-18 19:47:01

NaturesPace
Website

Re: Frostbitten Feet!

sorry i don't have any ideas. poor thing.
:hug:

maybe check out one of the chicken forums to see what others have done.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#3 2013-01-18 20:33:24

riverbendfarm
Website

Update on Zipper:

We took her inside and washed her feet gently with warm water after she warmed up a bit. A lot of the black was dirt, but she looks as if she may lose a toe or two. We smeared Polysporin all over her feet and gave her something to eat. She began to walk around, but is obviously in some discomfort and very wobbly on her legs. When she started to perk up a bit we placed her in the broody pen with the hatchlings, hoping that she wouldn't peck at them. Well, lo and behold she fluffed up her feathers and they all snuggled in around her under the heat lamp. We're watching the situation closely but it looks as if she may decide to adopt the whole bunch! I'm hoping for the best. :please:

Excuse the infared heat lamp =P
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj587/riverbendfarmss/D81715FF-B74E-4DA7-A36B-FBBDBF7787CB-38103-000032F94EC83B86.jpg

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#4 2013-01-18 21:33:43

Susan
Administrator

Oh the poor sweetheart! It would be wonderful for her is she could could recoup with the babies but also watch that she isn't getting her toes pecked by them too. She will be in a lot of pain if she is suffering frostbite. I would keep up with polysporin and also consider wrapping her feet for a couple days if she will tolerate it. I would also give her some pain meds. Either meloxicam or aspirin. Do you have access to a vet? They might tell you over the phone what dosage to use. If not, I will look it up for you. I would also look at your roosts. Eos have good feather cover and will cover their toes if they have the right sized roost. Many people give them a rounded off two by four with the flat part horizontal.  I like to use wooden poles with about a 4 to five inch diameter. Best of luck with her. Keep us posted.

#5 2013-01-19 01:38:53

Micah and Kiah

Zipper is such a sweet heart.  I am so sorry! We are only just starting to have those kind of temperatures and I admitt, I am quite worried.   I totally agree with Susan's advice and would only add that we found a brand of Polysporin ointment with a pain killer in it.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#6 2013-01-19 02:51:23

Island Girl

rbf I hope Zipper is doing ok. I agree with Susan about the babies possibly picking at her toes, that could be problematic. How sweet that she wants to adopt the babies. A good future mama for sure.

XOX. Monika

#7 2013-01-19 08:34:14

Island Girl

Just wanted to mention that I have been using Petro-Carbo salve for my chickens, well actually my two little banty boys that decided they no longer want to live together :banginghead: after washing away all the blood and finding the wounds on their wattles and combs, I slathered them up with this pain relieving salve. Both boys actually fell asleep in my arms while I massaged it in.  The wounds are healing fast, highly recommended! Its kinda like polysporin with a kick! It is a Watkins product, flat round red tin with gold, black and white lettering. Have seen it for sale at the grocery store and at the pharmacy. I have even used this in the past on legs that have scaley mite issues.

PS active ingredient : Phenol (carbolic acid 1.5%)
:happycrowd"
XOX Monika

#8 2013-01-19 15:28:26

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Poor little Zipper.  Sorry to hear that.  Could she have roosted in a metal roost or had her feel wet?  We have never had toes frosted, just combs and we just try not to touch it.  Feet is different as they are down on the ground getting more poop and stuff all over.  It sounds like the right idea.  Moderate temps are good for here now or gentle warm. I would bet the cold will make it feel worse.  If the chicks are all getting under here you do not need the 90 degrees either.  I think it was a great idea putting them in with her, it will distract her and get her going.  D'uccles make great moms, just keep an eye of on them, I am sure you are =D

I used watkins petrocarbo on our lawnmower girl (2 years ago) and you'd never know she has a run in with it.  She (I) shaved the top off her wing when I drove over her on the rider mower ( I know it sounds awful, but I had no idea she was there), it was an open wound for  2 weeks an I just put some on every few days, I left her in with the other young 2-3 month old siblings, free ranging, who left it alone (I have a feeling the don't like the smell, as I use to used vicks at other times with other birds for feather pecking and they hated the taste) and can't even tell which one she was.  Polysporin is great too.

#9 2013-01-19 18:41:46

Flat Rock Farm

Oh poor Zipper, frostbite is an awful thing.  I agree with Susan to try some Meloxicam if you can get a hold of it.  It's a great pain reliever and anti-inflammatory.  For sure check your perch's if they cannot cover their feet properly with their body or of they are sleeping on the floor this can cause it.

Sounds like she is on the mend, keep us updated :thumbs:

#10 2013-01-19 20:51:22

riverbendfarm
Website

She is just a little mite, I hatched in fall when I shouldn't have :banginghead: Lesson learned there. I think she was sleeping on the floor, but am not certain. The more I deal with here the more I learn, but its hard on the animals when the farmer is a novice :chairhide:. Zipper is still in with the babies, and seems to be doing ok.

I culled a BP rooster today and made a chicken stew, he is delicious I might add! Trouble was, when I went out to get him dispatched, I noticed Ham's comb was bloody again and saw one of the hens pecking at it! The scabs were coming off and she had him all bloody again. (You may remember that he was the loser in the falling out with his brother.) I had him in the layer coop with the girls and had separated my other roos from him/them. Apparently that didn't work...We took him inside and washed him down, applied the polysporin and he's perched in the living room in a rubbermaid bucket watching TV with Sam. I tell you if its not one thing its another with these birds. He appears to have that weak leg problem I read about. He has not stopped limping since fall. If he were not my son's favorite pet I'd have culled him long ago.

As a precaution I slathered Petroleum Jelly on all the other Roos today, comb and wattles. Hopefully it will help get them through. I also shoveled out the bedding and applied fresh dry stuff as I heard that moisture makes it worse. I relocated a heat lamp to over the perch and we shall hope for milder weather. Forcasting -18 in the next week. If I were still in Alberta that would be nothing, but with the humidity at 85% its killer cold. Some days are mild and it melts and gets foggy, then snaps cold and the dampness cuts right through you. I used to love winter before I had chickens...

Here he is recovering from his most recent trauma, such a beautiful guy despite all his problems:
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj587/riverbendfarmss/02108E06-5A63-4C5F-A9BF-298BDFB95EE8-38637-000033C82DCFFB71.jpg

Last edited by riverbendfarm (2013-01-19 20:53:36)

~Heraclitus

#11 2013-01-19 20:56:45

poplar girl
Administrator

Poor Zipper and Ham, winter can be very hard on animals. Once you get them fixed up in the house you will need to be careful shipping them back out as they will getnusednto the warmth of the house pretty quick.

I hope everyone recovers and pulls through your cold snap riverbend.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#12 2013-01-19 21:21:37

Micah and Kiah

Great idea with the petrolium jelly on the combs, i've read about that as a good protection. Wonder if Beeswax wold work too?  Hope the two of them recover quickly.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#13 2013-01-19 23:20:01

NaturesPace
Website

What does he like watching? My dogs like programs with other dogs.

Also, -18 is celsius, right? :US:

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#14 2013-01-20 00:21:27

Flat Rock Farm

Yes that is celcius. So 4F  brrrrr

Adverts

Board footer