Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2013-01-16 02:58:16

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: What might the future of EOs in North America look like?

dahlisgrams wrote:

:surfing:  I can absolutely see both sides of rapid distribution and look forward to hearing more viewpoints.

I think getting numbers up initially was important, but now the real work begins. If numbers are the only concern, the breed will surely suffer and perhaps already has to some extent. My wheels are turning... :goodthread:

Exactly dahlisgrams! If people continue to distribute EOs without breeding and selection then it will be exactly as MD fears. Going forward I think it becomes more and more important that the EOs being distributed are from flocks that have been carefully bred and selected so that the chicks resulting are close to the SOP. We can't continue to have traits that will DQ the breed being perpetuated. and we can't loose the type and productivity (and temperament!) traits that define the EOs. The bar has to go up or the breed won't be taken seriously, the wonderful traits that define it will be lost and in the end our North American EOs will just be a pale shadows of what the breed should be.

More to the very valid points MD made, the rapid distribution of EOs by Greenfire has stopped. Is Skyline Poultry still selling them? Are there any other major distributors of EOs in the US or Canada that others are aware of?

The continued high volume distribution of EOs could be a major concern going forward. My personal opinion is we do need to raise the bar when it comes to the quality of EOs being distributed. To do that the quantity of birds being sold over the next few years may have to go down. I do have trouble with this as I understand some people are happy to have a few just as pets, what does it matter if they match the SOP? But The numbers of EOs being put into these situations would likely be fairly small and not really a risk. A much bigger risk is the wide spread continued distribution of EOs that are not good examples of the breed or variety they represent.

My opinion? It is not possible to stop people from selling EOs. Individuals or groups can recommend but there is not way to police it. So I think instead we need to counteract. Educate people, through the forum, by going to poultry shows, by word of mouth etc. And we also need to breed for better EOs and then start to make them available to people. 

And that leads us back to how do we go about advancing EOs in North America...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2013-01-16 02:58:16

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2013-01-17 12:57:38

poplar girl
Administrator

I seem to have killed this thread.
Are my comments out of line?
Do members have different views but not wish to voice them in order to avoid conflict?

I feel some good points were made but I have to say i don't know if i have a clearer picture on the future of EOs at this point.

I would say with the amount of response we have had it is unlikely we have enough members to go forward with having the breed recognized by the APA in a few years. Perhaps the number of responses is not indicative of the interest that is out there?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#28 2013-01-17 13:21:17

Maggiesdad

:hug:

I don't think you killed the thread. These are just sobering thoughts. :( When I joined over a year ago, every one knew that the pool we had to work with had problems. And it would be foolish and naive to think that by haphazard breeding the problems would fade away. It's a years long challenge, one that will take love and dedication. :group talking:

#29 2013-01-17 13:47:09

poplar girl
Administrator

Well thank you MD, i was (am) worried I did.

I think you summaried where we are and what we have ahead of us in the short term very well. I think we have some very dedicated members though who are up to the challenges that will be faced with EOs over the next few years.

And maybe what you are saying is recognizing the challenges and working to improve the breed over the next few years is our united goal? I think that might be enough of a goal for now, a great goal in fact.

#30 2013-01-17 13:48:45

gubi
Website

I'm not interested in showing chickens but do like to breed them towards the SOP which does includes production and health.  It is much easier to identify the correct colour then the correct type.  I think we should be selecting size at 13 weeks and not mature size because it doesn't really matter how large they get but it does mater that we can get a good meal sooner rather then later out of the boys.
  I think we are very far away from getting APA accepted.  As far as I know we don't even have a single bird that meets all the SOP requirements yet.  I'm still a big fan of the EO's, the boys are soo tasty but do need more time then 13 weeks to get there still.  They lay a lot of eggs and are just great personalities to have around.  At this point its their character that sets them apart from all the other chicken breeds. 

When I breed my cows I have so much more information available to me.  I do evaluate each and every cow but besides that I have Classifiers come in every 4 months to officially evaluate any animal that hasn't been previously evaluated or has changed for the better.  I'm not sure how much of a help it would be to get the EO's to a show only to get them DQ'd?  It might be better to hire a judge to come out to your place and help you evaluate your birds?

I have seen it with my Spitzhaubens when in the early years I sold a couple of guys some of my culls hens and roosters and I see them advertised now still.  One guy has his "breeders" for sale right now and the other has been selling chicks the last few years.  It does bug me to see the lesser quality out there especially knowing that I am the one responsible to put them out there! Now I mostly just sell pullets for pet layers.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#31 2013-01-17 16:35:19

NaturesPace
Website

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#32 2013-01-17 16:41:46

NaturesPace
Website

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#33 2013-01-17 18:36:16

Island Girl

I think all this discussion is great with no thread killers among us, lol! There is a lot to think about and lots to read with great links added, I really like that. I am however still uncomfortable with selling eggs at this point, maybe it will change maybe it will not. I think if someone was serious enough about wanting eggs to hatch and contacted me, there would be a lot of discussion going on and I would take it from there. This will only be my first go at hatching my own babies from adults that I have raised so I have no idea of what the results are going to be. Others here are further ahead in there generations and have a lot more knowledge and have seen their results already, so this is a good thing. Please everyone keep sharing your ideas.

XOX Monika

#34 2013-01-17 18:48:24

mikencarol

...and YES to what MD said.  NO you didn't kill this thread....at least not me.  And who cares if its awhile before we get an APA SOP....that won't stop us from having fun and raising some good chickens and eggs.  I've been around this bird thing for awhile...over 50 years.  I have seen alot of "Fads" come and go...now they are saying that 'Duck eggs' are the in-thing.  I have several Fad or Novelty breeds myself...but Basque Hens are certainly not one of them.  These things are for real and with a little more education, work and dedication...I think this breed will be around forever.  They just have sooooo many good qualities, most of which you can't even see.  When I got started with chickens, White Leghorns were the Latest and Greatest thing.  Here it is 50 years later and I'm sure the quality of WL's is way ahead of what it was in the 50's.  PG....everybody may quit except me and you...but I'm IN this thing TOTALLY.  When I read this thread, I feel so proud to have EO's and to associate  with all the people on here.  I personally spend more time on this thread than I should....but I don't think I'm in that boat alone........that's my 2 cents.........now get off here and go feed your chickens..........  :thumbs:  Mike     :goodthread::goodthread::goodthread:

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#35 2013-01-18 01:40:59

poplar girl
Administrator

Okay I have gone from feeling a bit overwhelmed and very discouraged to feeling like we can do this. "This" is get to a substantial number of EOs in North America that are good examples of the breed. The rest will follow from there. It will take time and it will take a lot of effort but we are gonna "git r' dun".

I gotta say I am very proud to be part of this forum and be working on this project along side such amazing people. :EO:

#36 2013-01-18 04:48:13

mikencarol

:thumbs:....at the risk of sounding like the Mutual Admiritation (SP?) Society...I think we are all lucky to have each other  :applause::applause::applause:           Mike

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

Adverts

Board footer