Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-12-02 20:14:59

poplar girl
Administrator

2013 Gorria Breeding Flock

I thought I would share some photos of my perspective 2013 gorria breeding flock. I am a bit uncertain if gorria is as simple as an unbarred marraduna as I am seeing some color variation in my birds. I unsuspect for the same reasons we see marraduna with too much grey, blondies, and other color variations I am seeing some variation in the gorria. All have yellow shanks, no side sprigs.

This hen I purchased as an adult so I think she is 3 now. Good size but not friendly and I suspect too much black in her feathers.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/e2d8770a825cad1ae8eac1ef4e57af3c.jpg

This hen (Cinnamon) I hatched last year, she may be the daughter of the hen above. She is not quite done molting so please excuse her feathers. She is friendly, but quite small and again I think too much black in her feathers.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/56340fa9fce669fdbe134e934a92b07e.jpg

This is a pullet I hatched this spring, daughter of Adonis and Gem. She is quite large, friendly, not much black in her hackles which I find interesting. Note the lighter red color of this pullet and the next two below in comparison to the above hens. She also has feather stubs, both parents had them and all of the chicks as a result do as well.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/e5c58ba55926f1e7b1ae1f252c45c38c.jpg

And these two I also hatched this spring. The darker red pullet on the left is daughter to Butterscotch and Adonis. She is a bit small. On the right is another daughter to Adonis and Gem. Big, friendly, way more black in the hackles than her sister but also has feather stubs. Notice the differences in the body and hackle color between the two girls.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/c24fbfe6e77cc4a36aceb4c18e43dba3.jpg

And this is Red, he is heterozygous for barring actually but very dark red with little barring. Hatched from Black Horse Ranch eggs this spring. He is on the small side and the two marraduna roosters he is sharing the coop definately have him hiding most of the time.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/520b327fabf248dfdfabaf76c0b6a024.jpg

I seem to have a range in color in my EO hens and pullets from very blond to dark red. With the girls I generally look for white bars in the hackles along with body color and if they are more red like these gals with no bars then I am calling them gorria. But it is less obvious to tell the difference than i expected it to be. What do you guys see when you look at these birds? What is a gorria supposed to look like? Would you use all (or any) of them for a gorria breeding project?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2012-12-02 20:14:59

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-12-03 00:04:18

Micah and Kiah

Re: 2013 Gorria Breeding Flock

Did I post my Gorria photos for you yet PG? I like the variety.  One of my three Gorria boys is as dark as your first two girls and I've decided not to use him in the breeding program because my other two boys are closer to your Red but still have dark on them too. I'd love to see the offsrping from Red and the lighter three pullets :excited: 

what is the story on feather stubs?

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#3 2012-12-03 00:21:27

poplar girl
Administrator

Well feather stubs are short feathers either between their toes or lower down on a birds shanks, or both. In non feather footed breeds including EOs they are something to select against as they are a disqualification when showing. I noticed quite a few EOs with them last year. This year i have only seen them on chooks where both parents have feather stubs so I suspect it is a recessive trait I will need to watch for for quite awhile. Unless you want to show your birds however, feather stubs are pretty minor in the grand scene of things in my opinion so I wont be worrying about them too much right now,. Or maybe more fair to say I won't choose not to breed a bird solely on the basis of a few feather stubs.

I think the lighter red girls are the right color for gorria but I am a bit unsure. I am surprised how much lighter they are than the two hens and at the variation I am seeing from bird to bird.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2012-12-03 13:12:09

gubi
Website

love the 2 pullets by the blue feeder

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2012-12-04 01:57:46

poplar girl
Administrator

What do you like better about them than the pullet in the picture above them hatched this year gubi?

#6 2012-12-04 02:05:26

gubi
Website

I just love the colour contrast of the hackle to the body.  All three are very nice and have a lot less black in their body then I have seen in other pictures.  I find it's really hard to compare type in pictures.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#7 2012-12-04 02:12:38

poplar girl
Administrator

I wish type were easier to see in photos as input from others would certainly be welcome. I also like to see more black in the hackles gubi, it's one of the traits I plan to select for although it really is just window dressing at this stage. The two sister pullets (the one without much black in her hackles and the girl on the right of the feeder picture) are big and I really like the look of them.

I will need to do some more thinking on how to mate these guys.

#8 2012-12-04 18:08:03

Maggiesdad

PG - email sent... check your trash in case it doesn't come through. :hohoho:

#9 2012-12-05 01:50:44

poplar girl
Administrator

:hohoho: :excited:

So I'm thinking the three pullets from this year are pretty close to the proper gorria color and their type and temperament seem good too. I think my roo has good potential as well. Oh I see hatching eggs and chicks in my future :chickout:

I am honestly starting to think that it might be easier to improve color on the gorria base, as without the barring to add one more level of complexity, it is easier to see what is going on. Cross a nice gorria back to a marraduna and in a couple generations you have marraduna again but with less color variation. Okay it probably won't be quite so simple but it does seem that the allele for barring is the only major difference so it may be an option.

#10 2012-12-05 12:44:26

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Lovely!  You have a great start there.  Red is very close IMO (ignoring the barring), but slightly paler belly than we had before, probably more likely to fade.  I have quite a few "faders" in my hens and roos, where the hackles are way darker then the body feathers fade. 

I think your first hen is quite dark and Adonis and gems daughter and the latter 2 are closer to the colour we had in the Gorrias, but the first hens have a deep rich colour all over too so are worthy to go with that roo. They will likely get you more black in the chicks too, but time will tell.

I think your left pullet by the blue feeder is closer to what we had color wise. They were really bright ginger when young, and I think faded almost to a wheaten with red hackles, we were not sure what we had in the hens (due to blue legs) or if it was pure, though the roo was spot on I think looking online at pics since. 

Here's some old pics of what we had to give you an idea, but

The ham when young, maybe 5-6 weeks
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/babies009.jpg

Almost a year old, I think his hackles had that gold in that you see around the columbian black in your pics
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/chicksPPmay017.jpg

Young pullets (my Blondie on the left) 5-6 weeks.  The Gingernut was really red, I can't find any adult pics but will check again
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/babies001.jpg

All were friendly, hopping up on the brooder side, they got up there themselves to see us! :love:

#11 2012-12-05 16:35:33

mikencarol

....:thumbs:  WOW Claire....that is a nice looking rooster.......I would have never guessed he would color up like that......  :thumbsup:

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#12 2012-12-06 01:53:27

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Thanks.  He just glowed, even on that dull day with no sun!   He was called "the Ham" as he always showed up for pictures and looked straight at the camera!  I love the little baby clown faces these boys have with the big bubble gum combs at that age!  :love:

#13 2013-01-16 01:07:30

Island Girl

I am bumping this back up as I would like to partake in this discussion of the Gorria's now that I have Mr Or and will breed him. I have a question or maybe more of an observation of the two girls by the blue feeder. The one on the right looks to have a very wry tail. Is it just the way she is standing? I would also like to post some oictures of the girls I would like to match him up to, should I start another post? Man oh man I love this :cheer:

XOX Monika

#14 2013-01-16 01:54:56

poplar girl
Administrator

Monika, feel free to post on this thread if you wish but you may want to start your own, up to you.

Regarding wry tail. I have been watching my EOs fairly closely the past couple months for wry tail. I have one marraduna pullet, sister to the two girls by the blue feeder actually which makes this even more alarming,  that I have decided may have wry tail so I won't be breeding her. I don't think these gorrias do, they carry their tails straight most of the time although they do seem to have a tendency towards "tail mobility". I need to watch them a bit more before deciding. Is there something specific i may not be aware of that is a clear give away it is wry tail? It is just the tendency to hold their tail at an angle most of the time is it not?

#15 2013-01-16 02:26:10

Island Girl

My understanding is that if the bird is at a relaxed state like your girl is at the feeder, if the tail veers off to one side it is wry tail. Rico showed me at the show in Coombs last yesr and said to be very careful when breeding when it it comes to wry tail. I have a number of EO girls that have it in the egglaying flock.

XOX Monika

#16 2013-01-16 04:06:49

NaturesPace
Website

I have asked this before, but I think it got lost in the thread. Do these Gorria's come from Marraduna parents? I know we said both colors were imported. I didn't think anyone had the Gorria original stock still. Did they get breed to marradunas or do all Marradunas have the ability to throw Gorria? I don't remember seeing any Gorria in the U.S. birds.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#17 2013-01-16 04:51:43

poplar girl
Administrator

Black Horse Ranch here in Alberta still had (has?) a few gorria NP so in 2011 and 2012 i ended up with a few with my marraduna hatching eggs. Since it is just the barring gene that is diferent I have and will continue to cross them with the marraduna and select. I think the solid color will be much easier to work with in quite a few ways which will be helpful.

As far as I know the gorria have not made it to the US but I am not sure about that.

#18 2013-01-16 04:57:06

NaturesPace
Website

Thanks PG.
So, some EOs from CA could carry the non-barring gene and Gorria could pop out of, what appeared to be, a Marraduna pair?

#19 2013-01-16 04:57:58

Island Girl

Don't quote me on this one but I am sure all Maraduna's have the ability to throw Gorria, for now :P I should probably leave this one up to the genetic people to explain but I can tell you that I received eggs that hatched into Gorria type birds from Claire and Susan sent Debbie eggs that were marked Gorria, we hatched those out  and that is where my Gorria type roo MrOr is from as well as a few of the Gorria type girls. Does this help at all?

XOX Monika

#20 2013-01-16 05:05:29

poplar girl
Administrator

You can see gorria, it does not hide and just pop up. EOs barring is sex linked. So roosters have 2 alleles for barring, hens only one. So a hen is either gorria (not barred) or marraduna (barred). With roosters there are three possibilities: 2 alleles for barring (marraduna), 1 allele (heterozygous barred, my rooster in the picture above is like this) or no alleles for barring (gorria). Sometimes the heterozygous barred roosters are a bit tricky to tell but you can tell if you know what to look for, they are a darker red and have some almost entirely black tail feathers.

No time to write out the percent of each color you should get mating marraduna to gorria but it is in the genetics topics from last year.

#21 2013-01-16 05:22:32

NaturesPace
Website

Thanks to both of you. I'll look it up.

Adverts

Board footer