Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-01-13 06:43:36

thefishery

questionable breed rooster

I am having the hardest time figuring out how to put a picture in here so I hope it's okay to put a link up.

This is the post I made on byc asking if my rooster was a mix breed or an unknown to me breed.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/71944 … st_9856795

What do you all think?

2013-01-13 06:43:36

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-01-13 12:36:45

Flat Rock Farm

Re: questionable breed rooster

Yes he does look some of the EO roosters that we see.  I think Poplar Girl on this site has one with very similar colour.  If he has a great personality then I bet he is :thumbsup:

Anyone else??

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2013-01-13 12:37:28)

#3 2013-01-13 13:35:30

Maggiesdad

http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/0/07/900x900px-LL-078ea9c7_4053.jpeg
http://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/8618988/width/900/height/900/flags/LL

#4 2013-01-13 13:51:05

Maggiesdad

I see you on BYC, Susan! :funny:

thefishery, take your photo that's hosted online somewhere else, (like BYC) and right click the photo, select 'copy image location', then paste it here, select that text you just pasted and click on the 'img' button above the smiley list. voila!

my two cents - yes he's a mutt - and a very handsome one at that!

But I'm thinking a RIR picked up a single barring gene over behind the woodpile... since there was no mention of Basque Hens before, and given his striking darkness and absence of black on the chest, the brick like shape and carriage of the body, and the dropped wing, I'm thinking he's not a Euskal Oiloa. But there again, I'm just a beginner... so I'll defer to others.

Cheers
Glen

more EO forensics... judging by his spurs, he's at least a year old,  which would point him to Skyline stock, not GFF. I haven't seen anything come out of James' flock looking like this. Also his tail feathers, while it's interesting he has a white tail feather(Like our EO's tend too!), the coloration of the little feathers at the root of his tail and the lack of fluff there is different.

#5 2013-01-13 14:35:36

poplar girl
Administrator

MD is getting :wise:

I would have to agree although he is beautiful he is a mutt. A Rhode Island Red crossed with something barred. His hackle feather should have columbian (black), his beak has too much pigment, and his feather color is very dark red (mahogany) even for an EO heterozygous barred rooster (meaning he has only one of two alleles for barring).

Add to that his age as MD pointed out which would have made there only a few places it would be possible to find adult EOs that he could have come from. Does anyone know if Skyline or Greenfire had gorria hens or gorria or herterozygous barred roosters :huh:

Sorry! But if you like his looks you could consider getting some EOs. They will knock your socks off with their looks and personality I'm pretty sure =D

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2013-01-13 14:59:44

Maggiesdad

Ack! I missed the beak... :funny:

#7 2013-01-13 16:49:03

Flat Rock Farm

Me too :oops:  Now that you posted the pictures here MD I can see him more clearly.

He is beautiful though :love:

#8 2013-01-13 18:00:04

Micah and Kiah

"Add to that his age as MD pointed out which would have made there only a few places it would be possible to find adult EOs that he could have come from. Does anyone know if Skyline or Greenfire had gorria hens or gorria or herterozygous barred roosters "
thefishery, are you still in touch with the person you got him from?  I agree that the most likely answer is that he is a RIR/EO cross BUT   It would be amazing if you discovered a hitherto unknown line of E.O.s, we could use the genetic material as these lovely birds are so rare!  Gorria hens covered by a heterozygous barred rooster could produce an offspring like this, right?  I live in hope!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#9 2013-01-13 18:04:03

thefishery

Ah thank you so much!! He was given to us by a man my husband worked with. He came with 6 RIR hens. I don't know where on earth he got them from. I thought it was a little odd for a mutt to come with the RIR hens because I was assuming he got these as a group. I'm kind of bummed that he isn't an EO, he is the sweetest fella. The man moved to KY from MI so this group could have come from anywhere here, there and in between. I have hatched eggs from this guy and I hope that any roos in the future are just like him. We've had him for a year and he was full grown by then. He's got to be at least 2 years old. Thanks for all the help.

#10 2013-01-13 19:30:46

mikencarol

.........He is possibly a Rhodebar.  I have about 20 of them and one or two of the Roosters are colored simular to him.  Mine came from Greenfire and are about a year old.  I don't know what time frame they began selling them.  Several people that have them describe them as barred RIR's.......????????Maybe?????????......Mike  :huh:

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#11 2013-01-14 03:11:46

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Handsome dude :love:  His chest is a little round too, even with a full crop!  The EOs seem to have a big flat front.  He looks like a sweetheart, I honestly think I like the roosters more than the hens, they are so handsome and it is a real treat when you have a friendly one that is good to the hens.

Adverts

Board footer