Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-09-10 01:44:21

Susan
Administrator

Umm PG, It's not Just Your Water....

So I have meant to post this for awhile, but you know how I said I didn't know what side sprigs were and didn't have them? Well I did know after I looked at the pics Claire posted so I took another look- my fav rooster from this year has them. They are just a swelling on each side at the back of his comb. I'll post pics when I finally get time, but how serious do you think this is?  I love his colour, he's huge with bright yellow shanks, but a bit aggressive. So he scores 3/5 points for my criteria. Opinions?

2011-09-10 01:44:21

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-09-10 02:20:03

ipf

Re: Umm PG, It's not Just Your Water....

Clearly genetic, clearly more than one gene controlling.
A 1926 study (abstract at http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/conten … 81.extract ) suggests that it is a result of two loci, with dominant alleles at both, so it should be easy to select against. . . if the author is correct. Haven't seen anything more recent than that, though.

Last edited by ipf (2011-09-10 02:20:48)

#3 2011-09-10 02:53:04

Susan
Administrator

Select against as in don't breed him?

#4 2011-09-10 03:39:07

ipf

Not necessarily. Breed him with ones you like the look of, and select the offspring that don't show the trait you dislike.
It's a tough call, with a limited genepool. Remember that the genes you "see" (and that you care about) are a tiny % of the genes that the individual carries, and while you want some genes to be homozygous (to produce that true-breeding phenotype), at many other loci you want diversity in the population, which means heterozygosity in the individuals. If you lose diversity at all loci, you'll eventually lose the breed.

#5 2011-09-10 04:36:22

poplar girl
Administrator

Definately want to see pictures Susan. Compared to the sidesprigs on my other EOs the babies from your pair have very few side sprigs. I would not toss Sparkle on account of this finding by any means!

I am keeping and planning to breed some EOs with side sprigs. As ipf says, they are a very visual, but in the grand sceem of things small, trait. I will be trying to select against them as I go along. Lots of more important traits to worry about first though.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2011-09-10 04:37:48

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh and we should definitely add side sprigs to the list of topics for our Genetics Group! Or I suppose I can just read the article...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2011-09-11 02:22:10

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I totally want to know about side sprigs...and the difference between regular singles and the cluster in the clavell.

#8 2011-09-11 11:22:28

Flat Rock Farm

It's funny of ALL the roosters I had, I had none with side sprigs ,but have had my share of crooked toes and a few with green legs. :huh:

Adverts

Board footer