Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-01-05 20:43:12

Micah and Kiah

What point are we at in getting into the A.P.A.?

Well my holiday is over and I won't have much time to be on the site, or read about chickens for the next several months so I thought I'd ask a question that has been on my mind, "What point are we at in getting into the A.P.A.?"

I was reading my 2010 A.P.A. learning about feather types and combs... and I read page 5 Admission of Breeds and Varieties. 

Here is my condensed/paraphrased version:

a) petetion of recognition ( here is where we describe E.O.s in the standard of perfection format)
b) affidavids from no less than 5 breeders stating they have bred EOs for no less than 5 years and that it produces not less than 50% true to type, color, size, comb
c) certificates showing 2 or more specimens have been exhibited in EACH of cocks, hens, cockerals and pullets classes in each of the preceding 2 years at shows officiated by a liicensed A.P.A. judge. "the secretary shall contact the judge to for his or her confidential opinion of quality and uniformity
d) money to pay for cost of putting into the book
e) petetion referred to a committee and they'll set a date for a qualifying meet with an A.P.A. judge
THIS WILL TAKE ALOT OF US!!!! At this meet there will need to be at least 50 specimens of Maradunas exhibited by at least 5 exhibitors in all classes: cock, hen, cockeral, pullet
f) after all of these requirements are satisfied the comittee might reccomend approval of acceptance into the APA.  However the Directors get final say
g) The A.P.A. doesn't accept petetions for subdivisions of any poultry other than turkeys

What countries already include E.O.s in their standard of perfection?
How long have you been breeding EOs?
Would you say that when you are breeding Maradunas you are getting no less than 50% true to type, colour, size and comb?
What location would there be enough EO breeders to have at leat 5  exhibitor with at least 10 birds total to go in pullet, cockeral, hen, roo?
Do the other colours of EOs have the same comb, leg/beak colour... so that when we are ready we could classify them as different colours?

Long post!  Hope this is a useful start to this topic:huh:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

2013-01-05 20:43:12

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-01-06 13:20:14

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: What point are we at in getting into the A.P.A.?

Last year I read about this and I think there was a thread on it at that time but it is definately worth opening up discussion on this topic again.

What countries already include E.O.s in their standard of perfection?
MD may be better able to answer this. I am only certain for Spain but I suspect other countries in Europe also include the EO.

How long have you been breeding EOs?
I only obtained my first EOs (eggs) in 2011 from Susan, Claire and Black Horse Ranch. I obtained more from all 3 in 2011 as well as pair mated my birds to breed my own for the first time.

Would you say that when you are breeding Maradunas you are getting no less than 50% true to type, colour, size and comb?
No I don't think so if you consider all the disqualifying faults. Side sprigs, feather stubs, wrong shank color, mottling, white feathers in the cock's tail and one or more other disqualifying traits occur pretty frequently. On top of that I think there is too much variation in size.

Also I would suggest the gorria will be an easier variety to have recognized by the APA first or at least at the same time as marraduna as the barring adds another level of complexity to the color. If you have a good line of gorria and then add back the barring I think you will have good quality marraduna in a couple generations.

What location would there be enough EO breeders to have at leat 5  exhibitor with at least 10 birds total to go in pullet, cockeral, hen, roo?
I think we are a few years (more than 5) away from this personally but I would suggest Ontario. That puts a large number of breeders in the US and Canada within driving distance of one another. Ideally a few of us from farther way would make arrangements to enter birds. We would need to be planning for this well in advance and working very closely with the APA by that time.

Do the other colours of EOs have the same comb, leg/beak colour... so that when we are ready we could classify them as different colours?
Gorria and Marraduna are very similar, it seems the only difference is barring. I think the other varieties such as Zilarra and Beltza would be more challenging as we would need to recreate those colors through selection and breeding. Belza also differs in the genetics of base color (e-allele), not sure about Zilarra. Naked neck, well they are a possibility I suppose but the ugliness factor might inhibit their chance of success :P

If this is a common goal we should identify what we should be doing right now to work towards this. An obvious one I can think of would be the need for record keeping of breeding results. I think another good step in the next year would be for people to start showing a few birds in APA sanctioned shows, start getting the judges awareness of the breed as well as their feedback.

:goodthread: M&K

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2013-01-07 00:10:10

Micah and Kiah

"If this is a common goal we should identify what we should be doing right now to work towards this. An obvious one I can think of would be the need for record keeping of breeding results. I think another good step in the next year would be for people to start showing a few birds in APA sanctioned shows, start getting the judges awareness of the breed as well as their feedback."
Yes, that is a great idea!  Even if some people aren't interested in record keeping hopefully enough of us are interested in A.P.A. recognition that we can start working toward this by making sure we have all our criteria met when the time comes.

Should we start contacting A.P.A. directors now to get advice or just start by showing? 
I hope this thread will interest many of you.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#4 2013-01-07 00:58:08

Island Girl

I did take a Maraduna roo and hen to our APA sanctioned show in Coombs, BC this past summer. I put up some info sheets and copied out our working SOP from this site. The birds had lots of people looking at them =D but of course they never even came out of the cages for the actual judging. I will do the same again this year and hopefully get some judges feedback this time. Rico offered to look at them with me, one on one after the show last year, but we were not able to get together as I was volunteering in the teahouse when he was available :banginghead:. This year I will be much more organized and not miss that opportunity again, if the judge is willing.

XOX Monika

Adverts

Board footer