Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-01-06 06:01:33

choctawgal
Website

Paralysis-2 adolescent Araucana and 2 half-Araucana 2-3 day old chicks

Please keep up in mind... We are having a rash of disquieting symptoms on our farm. 

I wanted to post in case anyone has had similar or had 1st/2nd hand experience accordingly....  You all have been such a source of help, strength, and support, that I wanted to share and pick your brains before (and after) the Board Certified Avian Medicine vet comes over tomorrow to examine the flock.

Turkeys: swollen sinuses on one, so badly one turkey's eyes are barely visible.  My Black Spanish tom has a moderately swollen sinus on one side.  Both have some rattle-chest and snotty nose sounds.

Egg Flock: a few rattle chests/snotty noses, also weirdly--STINKY breath in the ones with resp. symptoms.  One new bantam roo (was iso for a month prior to intro to flock) is hunched posture, dropped wing, and slow moving.  (Bantam White Faced Black Spanish)  He is Iso-ed again.

Back yard- (Where the Euskalk are)  I hatched 20 chicks from "Boomchickaboomboom" (the little red penciled black Sizzle I shared with you as last pic on:  http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=1337 .)  The Daddies could be Boy George (the Araucana roo prior to that pic), his brother--Sneaky Pete, or any of the three Euskal boys. 
-Well..... one needed euth. at 2 days because of a severe resp infection--so it was infected in shell.  Two had sudden onset leg paralysis.
-One LF Frizzled pullet, unknown parentage, became sluggish/unwilling to stand, and died.

Chick Nursery: One found dead, unknown causes. Two Araucana became sluggish and reluctant to move, the first one, cockerel, progressed to one leg paralyzed... then both in 48 hours.  The second sluggish with one leg paralyzed, found today in a separate pullet.

WARNING: My next post on this will be LONG and is a cut and pasted timeline of symptoms if anyone is interested at all.  Feel free to skip it if you don't want to have a headache. :banginghead::banginghead::banginghead::banginghead:  I know I'm frazzled and there are no more tears left in me... so it feels.

I hope and PRAY that my wonderful, sweet, Euskalk are untouched, and that they stay so.

Thank you!  Love you all!
Jenn the exhausted
:surfing:

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

2013-01-06 06:01:33

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-01-06 06:04:06

choctawgal
Website

Re: Paralysis-2 adolescent Araucana and 2 half-Araucana 2-3 day old chicks

Here is the symptom/happenings Log... we are in the middle of an escalation it seems.

April (?)- New rooster from feed store, placed in iso 1 month and placed in egg flock in May (sired many healthy chicks)

August-  Called VVS due to chick with lesions under its feathers.
        -Advanced Squamous cell carcinoma at 5 wks, retained yolk sac found on necropsy
4 birds, isolated, with URI, blood taken  **Egg Flock**
Pos antibodies to MG, M Synoviae, Newcastles (they were never vaccinated)

September-Araucana cockerel with rattles in chest noted, group placed on tetracycline in water x 1
         week.  Odd “rotting meat” smell noted on breath. (back yard)
        -Jughead, Polish roo, noted with same rattle and smell-Isolated because being picked on.
            (backyard)
        -9/22 went to chicken swap meet, brought new Araucana roo home.... went into isolation
        for one month and put in *front yard pen*, alone.
Oct-Nov   
    Oct-    -hens stopped laying  *egg flock*
        -Sinus swelling in Bourbon red started, *turkey yard*
        -2-3 Broad Breasted Whites started chest/nose rattle, by slaughter one developed swollen
         sinuses  *Turkey Yard*
        -Bourbon Red with sinus swelling put in *front yard* w/new in Sept Araucana rooster
    Nov-12  -All BBW turkeys and 3 Bourbon reds slaughtered... 1 Bourbon kept due to small size.
            -Bourbon w/swollen sinuses—put back in in *turkey yard* w/Black Spanish
    Nov ?-  Poultry mites/lice (?) noted in both *Egg Flock and back yard*
    Nov ?-  Started noticing occasional frank blood being passed in *“pool” chick brooder* 
        -don't know who it is.  TX: Sulmet in drinking water  *Chick Room*
    Nov 17- Poultry auction- sold several and came back with
        -one large Fowl frizzle (DIED 4 wks later!) &
        -bantam White faced Black Spanish (sick now!) ISOLATED in**GREEN HOUSE**   
December-     
    8th- Treated  *Egg Flock and back yard*  for mites/lice (?)
        using Frontline (2 drops sm and Bantam, 4 drops LF)
    11th- Dead chick found in *Pool Brooder in Chick Room*  cause unknown   
    18th- Many in *Chick Room* pale and skinny.  TX: added Red Cell at 1tsp./1/2 Gal H2O
        -used 2x/week added to Sulmet and water
    20th- CC found in *Pool Brooder-Chick Room* on his side, chicks on top.  ISO in my BR
        -Found to be paralyzed in one leg, progressed to both in 48 hrs
****    21st- LF Frizzle from Auction DIED IN ISOLATION- SLUGGISH CANT STAND!!!
    22nd-Black Span. Bantam introduced to EGG FLOCK
    25th- Babbs SKINNY, PUT IN WITH CRIPPLED CHICK IN MY BR
    26th- Hatched 14 chicks- 2 died from not able to defecate, (Araucana, too rumpless)
        12/27    1 w/SEVERE URI-Euthanized 1/2
((DURAMAX ADDED TO H2O (TETRACYCLINE) FOR ALL INDOOR CHIX))
****        1/3    1 w/sluggish/cant stand!!-Euthanized,
****        1/4    1 w/leg paralysis/SLUGGISH CANT STAND!!!-died on own
12/28 BIOSECURITY STEPPED UP TO “DEFCON 4”

January
    2nd- Hatched 5 chicks
    3rd- Slightly Goopy eyed chick from 1/2 hatch—left with group.  Duramax added to water
NOTE: 1/3       2nd hatch group: 1/3 evening, chicks walking “DRUNK”  balance poor.
        (TX:changed water, diluted Duramax... 6 hours later balance just fine!)

****    4th- Found Female tufted Araucana paralyzed in one leg not wanting to move!!
        -came from older Adolescent cage;  SLUGGISH CANT STAND!!!!!
            FIRST SICK CHICK FROM THAT CAGE
            SECOND PARALYSIS FROM **CHICK ROOM**

5th- NOTED: Black face white Spanish: droopy wing, slow moving, hunched back.
        ISOLATED from *EGG FLOCK*

So far, that's it.
Thanks all!

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.

#3 2013-01-06 06:38:55

Island Girl

Oh no, I am reading this and feeling so much pain and fear for you. I want to say so much and yet I can not think of anything that feels right. I have gone through bouts of 'things' and have sent birds to the animal lab in BC for examining. Waiting for results and what it all means is one of the most difficult things I have encountered in my chicken experiences. I want you to know that you are in my prayers and if there is anything that I can do to help you in any way please let me know. :hug:

XOX Monika

#4 2013-01-06 11:42:58

choctawgal
Website

Island Girl wrote:

Oh no, I am reading this and feeling so much pain and fear for you. I want to say so much and yet I can not think of anything that feels right. I have gone through bouts of 'things' and have sent birds to the animal lab in BC for examining. Waiting for results and what it all means is one of the most difficult things I have encountered in my chicken experiences. I want you to know that you are in my prayers and if there is anything that I can do to help you in any way please let me know. :hug:

XOX Monika

Thank you, Monika.   Your love and prayers mean more than you will ever know.  :hug:

I've cried so much--and just when I think there are no more tears left, events take another turn and I find there are more.  However, sad times and terror are so much easier to handle when others are there to hold you up.  :sad:  :chairhide:

If necessary, I am prepared to 100% "depopulate" the property... if directed to do so by the advice of the Avian Health Division and my Avian vet.  I pray that it not be needed, but if required, I know that the special babies are special because of our love, and there WILL be more.  I've learned much that I will do from this point forward... 1-birds from KNOWN/proven healthy sources, 2-NO MORE feed store and auction poultry, 3- STRICT bio-security, 4-CLOSED flock.  :shock:

I know that doesn't even guarantee 100% health, but my odds will be much better.  :gunslinger:

Thank you again.  Time to get back to bed... maybe I can get a few hours of closed eyes before my vet gets here at 1000.  I have a feeling I'll be taking specimens up to the Seattle area State Poultry Diagnostics Lab again, on Monday if I can get a ride.  (Where I took the 5 week old RW Euskal cockerel to get the Carcinoma diagnosed in August.)  :nervous:

My very best... Thank you again, Monika!  :thanks:

Jenn

#5 2013-01-06 15:12:47

NaturesPace
Website

:hug: this is so horrible. My thoughts are with you. I appreciate you outlining the events. This could help someone else in the future. I hope you will not need to 'depopulate', but I understand that might be the best option if things are really bad. :hug:

Let us know what the vet says.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#6 2013-01-06 15:48:12

Flat Rock Farm

Jenn I am sorry you are going through this along with your birds.  I know here I have had issues over the years I usually find it happens more it in the fall when the weather changes from warm to cool or damp.  Get the coughing chickens but only seems to be a couple of the breeds and Tetracycline usually clears them up or adding some apple cider vinegar to the water.

I hope the Avian Vet will be able to shed some light as to what is going on with your flock.

Prayers and thoughts go out to you!!! :hug:

#7 2013-01-06 16:18:55

Lindy Lou

Jenn I'm so very sorry to read of your flock problems. I know how heart wrenching it can be to try your best and still have bad things happens. Sending big :hug: and positive thoughts your way.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#8 2013-01-07 00:27:45

Micah and Kiah

I am so sorry!  I hope and pray that whatever is happenning is curable and everyone is going to be well.  The photos you post make it clear how precious and loved your poultry is!  I'm too new to have advice to offer other than borrow some baby monitors so you can peak often to see if wild birds or animals are interacting with your birds and/or their feed and water. With horses, they can become quite ill if they eat hay that a possum has peed on!  There is something in the pee that is toxic for horses.
  It must be terrifying!  We'll be keeping you and the flock in our prayers and we are sending you big hugs.  Keep us posted as your results come in.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#9 2013-01-07 06:03:07

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oh Jen, I am so sorry to hear you are going through this.  We had a similar awful bout in 2010, starting with fowl pox.  I worried myself sick and cried for months waiting for results and getting them back in dribs and drabs :sad:  I have forgotten much of what I learned back then, but the avian pathologist told me if your turkeys are housed with the chooks, the turkeys can pick up a type of mycoplasma from the aerosol and dander that the chickens carry that causes the cheesy/solid sinus infections in the turkeys, that is impossible to budge once it sets in.  Ours never had that (but got the turkeys blackhead that same year for the same reason-housed and free ranged with chickens) and we said we will only ever have turkeys if we can house them separately.

It sounds like you have a few things going on which is typical.  The chook carry a lot of things in the background every day and when they are at an even keel keeping 2 or 3 things at bay, and conditions get cold/hot/they are crowded/moved/stressed etc etc they can succumb especially if exposed to some new disease as well.  Our Quaratine for respiratory diseases cannot truly protect the birds unless they are houses miles apart (literally) and you shower between visits.  Some of the mycoplasmas can live in the human nostril for 24 hours.   The results you get back may show 3 or 4 things going on.  Your new birds from outside flocks may be carrying some the others didn't get, as well having some respiratory type ones in common.  What the bugs are and the overall condition of the individuals and flock will dictate what you need to do.  But I am really sorry your are going though this grief.

Mycoplasma synoviae can give a Mareks lookalike (IMO) messed up joints where birds "go over" and can't stand (another sign is bags of fluid within the top layer of the skin about 1-2 inch diameter-mostly on the chests-we saw it on the odd male), we had a 4 month Dorking pullet autopsied at that time too who went over an couldn't stand about 3 days before the autopsies, and she had terrible osteoarthritis in a fused hip joint, that they fractured trying to separate in the autopsy.  We thought that was Mareks but they never detected it in our flock at all, after we had a few like that over the year.  Their joints can look and feel swollen and hot, nothing you'd notice til you start comparing them.  We sent 5 birds in for autopsy out of about 250.

Mycoplasma can go though eggs and Ms is the least likely to be transmitted though eggs compared to other species, but the rate goes up (from about 5% to 15%) when a hen shows symptoms.  Same with IB (infectious bronchitis) if I remember rightly.  If you have had wobbly looking walnut eggs, and crackly breathing that is IB.  It could be your hen passed whatever it is through the eggs.  Another possibility is it takes 3-5 days for newly hatched chicks to contract MS via the hatching chamber if the eggs had any on the outside or were not washed.  There are quite a few studies out there that you start to morbidly hunt down :sick:

We have never had a terrible smell with ours just "a bit off", but it sounds like your birds immune systems have been taking a hammering this fall, and this has been building, so could well be something we haven't had here.  We have found the problem is the symptoms don't make sense til after you get the results back (months later) and start to piece it together in your mind, and you just go round and round trying to make sense of things til you get all the facts, that is what is exhausting.

The uncertainty is the worst, as to the flocks future. We were told to euth ours by a vet who knew nothing about backyard flocks.  After that I called the pathologist to make sure, and she said the only way to keep any of them bug free is to keep them in a  bubble which is not why people usually have backyard flocks, and that what we had was "relatively normal" for a backyard flock! 

But in 2010, our hot summer (brought out the mosquitos who spread fowl pox by biting wild turkeys who carry it first then biting our birds) and getting a few new birds (we quarantined here-some died in quarantine) added together to create enough stress that the Mycoplasma got going, and IB.   The birds are more susceptible to lice and other parasites so keep a close eye on that.  Things they usually deflect, start to take hold.

I hope all goes as well as it can.  Email me if you need to.  I can't remember everything from before, but I can tell you, as horrible as it feels, this too shall pass, and there will be a time when you can sit on a bucket or lawn chair watching your happy chooks and not worry or wonder or look for signs and symptoms as I know you must be doing.  You'll be able to look at your birds,  love them, and enjoy them again.  Trust me.  Hugs to you at this awful time. Claire

#10 2013-01-13 22:17:33

NaturesPace
Website

Hope all is well, Jenn. I've been thinking about you and your flock.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#11 2013-01-14 03:08:29

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Me to, :happycrowd" I just wish we lived closer so we could help you.  Sometimes just a nice cup of coffee together will take your mind off things like that.  :thumbs:

#12 2013-01-14 08:26:31

Island Girl

Me three!!:happycrowd":group talking:

XOX Monika

#13 2013-01-14 15:40:43

Micah and Kiah

We'll keep sending thoughts and prayers and hope to hear from you soon with good news.  :happycrowd"

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

Adverts

Board footer