Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-01-05 21:37:37

Micah and Kiah

Black Sumatra Mom and Wheaten Ameraucana Dad...

I wasn't expecting eggs from a half Sumatra in the middle of the winter!  Dennis saw her lay this egg so there is no doubt!  The shell is a lovely true light blue and has white spots!  Likely the spots will fade as her egg factory gets use to production?

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/P1090248_zpsca417c15.jpg

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

2013-01-05 21:37:37

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-01-05 21:50:30

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Black Sumatra Mom and Wheaten Ameraucana Dad...

Very cool!!! :thumbsup:

#3 2013-01-05 21:55:18

Micah and Kiah

Kinda looks like little paint splashes

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#4 2013-01-06 03:28:36

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Cool. :jumping:   I think her bearded sisters started to lay this week, but we never saw the event, so weren't sure but they have white spots so we thought they weren't likely from the propercauanas, who are a bit older anyway.  They are a smaller eggs, so far, deep minty blue and a minty green with light white spots too.  One of the Sumatra moms (very occasionally, ever)  lays creamy white with white spots, the other lays white with occasional white spots.   Thanks for posting.  It helps us out, though I still want to see one laid!

#5 2013-01-06 14:57:42

NaturesPace
Website

Congrats! That's a pretty egg. I have an Orpington that lays a light brown egg with white spots every time. So it might not go away.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#6 2013-01-07 00:36:13

Micah and Kiah

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

Cool. :jumping:   I think her bearded sisters started to lay this week, but we never saw the event, so weren't sure but they have white spots so we thought they weren't likely from the propercauanas, who are a bit older anyway.  They are a smaller eggs, so far, deep minty blue and a minty green with light white spots too.  One of the Sumatra moms (very occasionally, ever)  lays creamy white with white spots, the other lays white with occasional white spots.   Thanks for posting.  It helps us out, though I still want to see one laid!

I was glad Dennis saw the egg laid.  It was nice to know for sure! She is still quite a talker and will chatter away to us as we do the chores.  The Sumatracauna boy is handsome and quite a ladies man.  He is a great escape artist but can always be found at the door of the hen coop.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#7 2013-01-12 00:53:50

Chrish

cool egg I like it :thumbsup:

Hobby farmer raising food the way nature intended. Dexter cows, Berkshire pigs, heritage breed Chickens,
Euskal Oiloa, Barred Plymouth Rock, and a wish list as long as my arm. Twitter @crookhousefarm

#8 2013-01-12 02:19:00

Micah and Kiah

This young hen is VERY funny!  She chatters to us all the time, so does the male.  They have both decided to be truely free range they leave thier pens whenever they wish without permission!  All the other boys and girls stay happily in their pens but not those two!  When I came home from work today she was in the middle of a huge puddle in the garden! :chook: I explained to her that chickens aren't to get cold and damp but she does what she wants. Talk about hybrid vigor!

Curious if yours are similar Claire?

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#9 2013-01-12 04:29:03

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Mine are really chatty, they come when called.  One flies onto my knee when I sit down out there were they are.  She barely lets me sit before she is up! :love:  They all flew up from the barnyard up the hill to the top one day this fall.  They seem to fly better than the sumatra Moms (whi woudl have flown down the hill but not up) which is suprising as the hybrids are a bit heavier.

Their roomies have been mostly EOs and they are slighly more polite than our young greedies this year, but just as affectionate! :thumbs:

#10 2013-01-12 18:30:01

Micah and Kiah

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

Mine are really chatty, they come when called.  One flies onto my knee when I sit down out there were they are.  She barely lets me sit before she is up! :love:  They all flew up from the barnyard up the hill to the top one day this fall.  They seem to fly better than the sumatra Moms (whi woudl have flown down the hill but not up) which is suprising as the hybrids are a bit heavier.

Their roomies have been mostly EOs and they are slighly more polite than our young greedies this year, but just as affectionate! :thumbs:

I am glad to hear from you Claire! It sounds like the siblings have very similar personalities; talkative and cuddly!  Yes, it is great how well they fly.  In the Fall Sue liked to sleep high up in trees!  We had to keep a ladder handy and just at dusk Dennis would climb the ladder and fish her out of the tree.  She'd snuggle in his arms and chatter away!  She is a very regular egg layer too and the hybrid vigour is amazing.  The boy is gorgous but girl crazy.  It is a lot of work to keep him away for the hens.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

Adverts

Board footer