Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-10-08 21:55:59

Chrish

is this dark for an EO

Is this normal

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q637/crookhousefarm/IMG_0292.jpg
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q637/crookhousefarm/IMG_0300.jpg
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q637/crookhousefarm/IMG_0306.jpg
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q637/crookhousefarm/IMG_0307.jpg
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q637/crookhousefarm/IMG_0315.jpg

Hobby farmer raising food the way nature intended. Dexter cows, Berkshire pigs, heritage breed Chickens,
Euskal Oiloa, Barred Plymouth Rock, and a wish list as long as my arm. Twitter @crookhousefarm

2012-10-08 21:55:59

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-10-08 22:21:39

NaturesPace
Website

Re: is this dark for an EO

WOW! another new color for us. I never saw one that dark. Very handsome. I'm glad I don't have him, because I would want to keep him and breed a new EO. I'm quite taken with him. Is he nice? Is he big type-wise? Side springs?

The other one, in the second photo, looks dark too. Those burgundy colors are not Marraduna.

:love:

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#3 2012-10-08 22:23:06

Susan
Administrator

:shock:  I've never seen one so dark! Any chance of another breed in there?

#4 2012-10-08 23:03:29

poplar girl
Administrator

He is the darkest I have seen as well but look how nice and yellow his beak and shanks are! I had one this spring that looked like a barred rock on his hackles and body accept his wings were more a dark red gold. Your fellow doesn't even have lighter wings.

Very interesting, on the way to being a a beltza (black) EO without the barring perhaps if you were to start selecting for that.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2012-10-08 23:26:00

Chrish

I unfortunately put 4 roosters in with all my hens (27) then after I butchered the roosters so there's not much chance off repeating :duh:. The one rooster I used were quite dark but in a very red way. I only really noticed today how dark he was getting. I have one more but just dark gray I have had a few of them before. This one is dark in a black way.

Hobby farmer raising food the way nature intended. Dexter cows, Berkshire pigs, heritage breed Chickens,
Euskal Oiloa, Barred Plymouth Rock, and a wish list as long as my arm. Twitter @crookhousefarm

#6 2012-10-08 23:29:31

Chrish

I forgot to mention he was born Aug 5th

#7 2012-10-08 23:40:16

Chrish

Susan
There is no chance of any cross breading. I only had EO's at the time. I have now got 20 Laying hens in the past month and 25 Barred Plymouth rock chick's that are a week and a few days old. If I was going to cross bread it would be for Columbian color I love the white. Even Peter that I got the originals from would not have crossed them.

#8 2012-10-08 23:50:44

Flat Rock Farm

Wow he is dark, even darker than the usual grey's are.  I agree he is very handsome and almost "blue", very interesting colour.

#9 2012-10-09 00:47:11

Susan
Administrator

Chrish wrote:

Susan
There is no chance of any cross breading. I only had EO's at the time. I have now got 20 Laying hens in the past month and 25 Barred Plymouth rock chick's that are a week and a few days old. If I was going to cross bread it would be for Columbian color I love the white. Even Peter that I got the originals from would not have crossed them.

Well how cool is that? :love:

#10 2012-10-09 01:28:28

Micah and Kiah

Handsome and unique.  I love him and hope he sires what he is...

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#11 2012-10-10 02:23:44

Chrish

Susan is it worth breading him ??? I'm not interested in the color but

#12 2012-10-10 02:33:29

Susan
Administrator

I would say so! You may be on to Beltza eventually. Regardless, he is stunning :) Give him a girl with a really good comb (5-7 points, no side sprigs) and maybe the least barring. See what you get!

#13 2012-10-10 04:45:44

WorthItFarms
Website

Ya know, if you aren't interested in this project :whistle: ... PM me  =D

Located in Chattahoochee Hills, GA. http://worthitfarms.com

#14 2012-10-10 12:38:53

Susan
Administrator

Sorry, off topic here for a second, but WorthaitFarms, would you please put your location in your profile? It helps everyone know where you are from. Thx! :)

#15 2012-12-15 14:31:48

Chrish

My little black one is getting much bigger and also another rooster one of his brothers is almost has dark but not has much black. I'm wondering do I do anything with them ? if so what color hen would i put them with. I have quite a few deer color EO's. Not sure what to do if anything. Please help

#16 2012-12-15 14:45:24

poplar girl
Administrator

The beltza variety of EO is unbarred black. I honestly know very little about the genetics behind that color so can't be much help in saying whether your dark little roo is on his way towards that.

There are some gorria (unbarred red) EOs that I would personally consider putting him with. Do you have any in Manitoba Chris? If this is the right direction to get beltza a cross with a gorria would get rid of the barring and then you would need to keep selecting for darker and darker....

Not sure if I am on the right track with that :huh: Little Boy Blue on here seems very knowledgable in that regard so may be able to provide some insight if you asked him?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#17 2012-12-15 14:58:07

poplar girl
Administrator

This (very well put together and useful IMO) article by Chestnutridge goes into the history and genetics of the EOs a bit. It has a picture of the beltza as well.
http://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/reso … sque-hens/

Maybe little boy blue could weight in with some thoughts...such as the importance of the E allele (your boy will be ewh) and probably more that I am not even thinking of.

#18 2012-12-15 16:12:37

Chrish

Thanks for the input. I do have some gorria (unbarred red) I think. That's what I called the deer color but i'm not so sure I know nothing about it really as you can tell. Ill check out some gorria and see if they match my red ones. Ill try get a few pictures and post them. Thanks

Adverts

Board footer