Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-09-05 14:00:21

Island Girl

Please point me in the right direction

I have been trying to absorb as much as I can by reading as many posts as I can digest in a given amount of time. Is it just me or is difficult to figure out all the varieties within this breed? Even after all my reading the best I can come up with is ... look for yellow beaks and legs and no side sprigs as combs develop. :whistle: OK I understand that there is a whole lot more to it but I have to admit I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed! For now I just want to check out how friendly these lovelies will be and am hoping for largish abundant eggs. BUT I don't want to mess up either by :eat: the wrong bird, lol!! Maybe my best bet will be to post chick pictures and have 'those in the know' help figure it all out. I am hoping ipf is interested and that debbiej will want to try them too. How soon are they sexable? The first of many questions I am sure!!

XOX Monika

2011-09-05 14:00:21

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-09-05 14:43:34

Susan
Administrator

Re: Please point me in the right direction

You're not alone IG. I am still uncertain and sometimes afraid to post my thoughts/ critiques of other's birds (and mine) as I just don't know enough. I think we are all still learning and I love that this site is so supportive and friendly. It allows us to learn together and be able to make mistakes without being ridiculed. Don't worry, we'll figure it out. In the meantime, I just enjoy my birds- faults or not, I love them all. :). I should also add that I often think of what Lys said- not to cull too heavily right now.  The numbers of EOs are so low, we don't want to accidentally lose genes by selecting for only certain traits. Basically enjoy your birds and don't worry too much about screwing anything up!

#3 2011-09-05 15:04:16

poplar girl
Administrator

Well Island Girl, what to look for depends a bit on your personal goals. If you just want healthy, productive, friendly chooks then look no further than the regular vigor traits such as a nice wide body and head, alert and active, and no defects that may affect health such as poor eye site or really crooked toes.

If you or someone else is looking to use them for breeding to the proper standard of perfection of the breed, still look for the above first and then start to look for characteristics specific to the breed such as side sprigs, feather color, shank color, etc. Here is a link to some info: http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=69

I think some of the most beautiful EO flocks may end up being those backyard flocks where the owner allows diversity in the "paint" and just makes sure the "frame" under it is strong :)

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2011-09-05 15:07:00

Island Girl

Thanks Susan, you have no idea how reassuring that was to hear. =D Are your lines the same as SLF ? I am wondering if I should get more of another line right off the bat so they are similar in age (in case I decide to breed in spring). But if I remember correctly you are not doing eggs right now? Also, OK get ready for this question .... are they a recognized breed? :oops: maybe this has already been asked on here.

XOX Monika

#5 2011-09-05 15:09:46

Island Girl

Lol, thanks for that pg! You anticipated my next question :lol: I will study this link

XOX Monika

#6 2011-09-05 15:16:21

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh! And sexing them takes me personally at least a month. I have to wait until the little red comb starts to come in to be sure. Might just be I am bad at it though.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2011-09-05 15:32:05

Island Girl

When I look at my American SOP I will not find them correct? So does this mean that they are not an accepted bird like the Blue Laced Red Wyandottes?

XOX Monika

#8 2011-09-05 15:49:35

Susan
Administrator

That's right, they are not recognized in North America. I have birds originating from SLF, Black Horse Ranch and my own breeding. I am not separating them right now, but will be early in January or February so we will get a nice early start!

#9 2011-09-05 17:38:32

poplar girl
Administrator

One step further IG, the breed wyandotte is at least regognized although the blue laced red color is not yet recognized by the APA. In the case of the EO, not even the breed is recognized let alone each color.

So if showing chickens is your greatest passion I would call the EOs a long term project. I think there is an "all other breeds" category or something like that that would be the only class you could enter them in.

#10 2011-09-05 18:18:54

gubi
Website

At 3 weeks you can sex them based on the combs and maybe a bit earlier already based on the feather color. The pullets from Claire are mostly reddish at the start.  The leg color will take a couple of months before you can tell for sure. 
I would select them based on why YOU are getting them.  You probably wont have too many pullets to select from anyways so that mainly leaves roosters to select at this point.  I put emphasis on color and size on them.  I don't see it as a problem if we all select a little different it will help keep a bit of diversity in the breed.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#11 2011-09-05 21:50:19

Susan
Administrator

gubi wrote:

I would select them based on why YOU are getting them.  You probably wont have too many pullets to select from anyways so that mainly leaves roosters to select at this point.  I put emphasis on color and size on them.  I don't see it as a problem if we all select a little different it will help keep a bit of diversity in the breed.

I agree very much Gubi, I think that is a very worthwhile point to note :)

#12 2011-09-06 13:31:51

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Monika, you've had some great advice here.  None of us are experts, we are just doing the best we can and enjoying our birds while trying to of them justice.  :EO:

By teaching ourselves genetics, or even just the basics, maybe we can head off mistakes in logic and not repeat breeding "mistakes", saving the breed years or beign off track.  There are enough of us with Euskal Oiloak now, that the pressure is off a little :whistle:  Imagine having just 3 of these and realizing what a treasure you have.... talk about pressure!   I am so glad they are so long lived and hardy, I still have 2 of those originals who are over 3 years old now!  I haven't had to select technically, they are still 1st gen Canadian....

I love the idea of the group effort or collective knowledge, we don't all have time to research or learn every little bit of EO info, but between us, we can come up with a big picture that works.  That's why I started the site, so we don't feel stressed and responsible for the whole future on one rare breed, so we can share the responsibility and learn from each other.  Please don't feel overwhelmed, chickens are supposed to be fun :happycrowd"  All the information is here when you are ready for it!  Hope those chicks are growing well...not much longer now!

#13 2011-09-06 14:12:50

Island Girl

Thanks everyone, you are right SLF there is a lot of great advice here. Whew, I can only imagine the pressure you felt in the beginning! I am very pleased to be able to be part of this group and hope that the EOs will be that bird that I have been searching for. The eggs seem to be doing great, 8 more sleeps but whose counting ;)

XOX Monika

Adverts

Board footer