Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-11-06 01:42:29

workhorse
Website

Hello from WV.

My wife and I have a 74 acre farm in the mountians of WV. 20 miles north of Lewisburg. We plow and cultivate our garden with a team of Suffolk punch draft horsess. I am 54 yrso. and have had several different breeds of chickens, mostly dual purpose .While looking for a different breed to try I  discovered the EOs.Having liked the rare breeds of farm  animals I wanted to find out more about the breed and their availabilty. They would have a good place to range around the barn and pasture in the evening as they are put in the coop with a run at night and during the day. Our Bernese Mountian dog gets along fine with our existing flock of older hens :) (6 Barred rocks,1 Australorp and 2 EE ) but they will soon be replaced. Looking forward to visiting on this site!..............Mark Gillenwater,  Renick,WV.

If this is not that
I'll keep this till that comes

2012-11-06 01:42:29

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-11-06 02:02:42

Maggiesdad

Re: Hello from WV.

:welcome: workhorse!

Awesome that you found this place! I think you will be well pleased with how the Euskal Oiloak will fit in to your farm.
James at Skyline poultry has chicks and hatching eggs, and others will probably have birds and eggs next spring.

Welcome to the EOCF!
Glen

#3 2012-11-06 02:04:50

Flat Rock Farm

Mark, :welcome: from north of the border :Canada:

You have picked a great dual purpose breed in the EO's plus they have the added advantage of being friendly :EO:

Glad you could join us :happycrowd"

#4 2012-11-06 02:08:49

poplar girl
Administrator

Welcome Mark! I think the EOs will make a very good addition to your farm, never yet have I met a friendlier breed and good for eggs and meat too. I would love to see a picture of your draft horses sometime as well.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2012-11-06 03:09:05

NaturesPace
Website

Welcome. Several of us in Virginia.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#6 2012-11-06 03:24:00

NaturesPace
Website

I think you messaged me on my blog. "Greenbrier co. WV"  I don't have any chicks for sale and only have half breeds mostly for hatching eggs, come spring. Maggiesdad on this forum, might be able to help with chicks or eggs this spring... Not sure if he is up to that thou. Otherwise, skyline is your best bet for chicks or eggs now.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#7 2012-11-06 03:28:12

picis peeps

Welcome Mark, sounds like you have a great place just perfect for these friendly chicks.  You will have many moments of laughter at their antics and this forum is a great place for help and advice.

#8 2012-11-06 04:34:10

Lindy Lou

:welcome: to our Forum. You will find the people here as friendly as the EO's only funnier. So have fun Enjoy and look forward to hearing more from you :Canada: :union jack: :group talking: This is usually us at our breakfast get togethers

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#9 2012-11-06 10:56:24

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

:hi: and welcome aboard.  Great people and a great place to find yourself.  :EO:

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#10 2012-11-06 12:31:10

Susan
Administrator

Welcome, workhorse! I hope enjoy this forum, it's full of lovely people. I look forward to hearing more about your horses and gardening as well :)

#11 2012-11-06 16:39:05

Lisa

:welcome: WH! :pics: please of the horses!

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#12 2012-11-07 00:11:29

workhorse
Website

What a warm welcome! A draft horse pic should be on the way :thanks:........workhorse

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/misc/e5b6b72fbf9443568e8776fc1fd5a9c7.jpg

If this is not that

#13 2012-11-07 01:29:03

gubi
Website

Welcome to the EO forum from south western Ontario.  I think the EO's will be great chickens for you.  I have sold some EO's to a lady that works her farm only with horses last spring.  I'm still waiting for her to introduce herself here too.  :EO:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#14 2012-11-08 00:34:17

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:jumping: Welcome, we are so pleased to have you here!   Love the pic! Gorgeous horse and big for a Suffolk, they are small here when you do see them.  i think you have found a great breed, we have had many many chicken  breeds here and  :EO:  I am sure you will find some close by, I think you are in the Euskal Oiloa epicentre of the USA there :US:

#15 2012-11-08 02:52:43

Maggiesdad

:thumbsup: Next year's gonna be a good year if I can keep the coons at bay. :gunslinger:

#16 2012-11-08 04:00:15

mikencarol

........:thumbs: Yesterday the coons posted on here that it was going to be a Great year if they can just keep Maggiesdad away  :shock:  :shock:  I run a double electric fence wire, close togeather.  Ground one side and hook the charger to the other...skunks and coons only need to get tangled-up in it once :thumbsup:  Has your weather straightened up????

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#17 2012-11-09 23:32:03

workhorse
Website

Hey everbody ,I really appreciate the way you all have me feel at home on this site :jumping: :jumping:  A good place to share life in the country.:thanks:.    workhorse

If this is not that

#18 2012-11-10 01:58:59

poplar girl
Administrator

We are glad to have you join us workhorse. It seems the people owned by EOs (it's true...you'll see) have a lot in common. Many of us take great prided in raising our own food, enjoy animals and the land. It is a smallish forum but with some amazing and dedicated members and...well...stick around workhorse, I think you'll like it here and enjoy your EOs when you get some too :love:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#19 2012-11-10 13:40:57

Flat Rock Farm

Yes workhorse, we are so very glad you could join us.  PG said it all :happycrowd"

#20 2012-11-11 00:48:21

riverbendfarm
Website

:hi: Wow Workhorse, he's a big lad! If my wife wasn't severely allergic to horses I'd have a pair in a flash! Many farmers around here in southern Nova Scotia use oxen for working in the woods and on fields, or just for fun to pull with. The preferred breeds here seem to be Herefords and Durhams, with Herefords the old-time favorites. Perhaps I'll learn to drive a pair eventually =). For now my farm is small as we're just starting our homestead of 10 acres. We keep EO's free range during the day on our property and let me tell you they are AMAZING foragers. I hardly have to feed them at all when there's bugs about! They'll turn up their beaks at a pile of grain if they can find an anthill to tear open any day. You'll never find a nicer rooster who is still protective of his girls than an EO. My two boys are real gentlemen, and my 9 year old daughter carries them around the farm all the time. Welcome to our forum, and good luck finding some EO's!

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#21 2012-11-13 23:43:39

workhorse
Website

Hi Riverbend, my Suffolk probably isn't as big as the camera angle makes him seem. He is about 16.2hh ,near 1700lbs,24in. collar and handles very well. I have a friend in Quebec,Owl Hoot maple farm.  :Canada:   Haven't heard from him in a few years but he is a good Sufflok man. The maple syrup we had from there was very delicious.Have you heard of Berry Brook oxen supply in New Hampshire owned by Tim Huppe? My wife and I visited there in 2004 ,a fine set up for oxen supplies. ..............workhorse

If this is not that

#22 2012-11-28 00:01:37

Maggiesdad

Hey, workhorse! How high up the ridge are you - or are you in the valley?  I was just scoping Renick and see that you are just a hop skip and a jump from Lexington. My oldest boy is in his rat year at VMI, I make runs up there 'bout once a month.

#23 2012-11-28 06:02:50

dahlisgrams

Hey Mark! :welcome:

Adverts

Board footer