Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-11-27 16:44:26

Little Boy Blue
Website

How do you identify EO's with ressesive e+ and eb?

poplar girl wrote:

LBB...might be time for a new thread as when I get going on genetics....well....not everyone will want to keep reading :oops:

There is some info on here already on the e alleles and the EOs from our genetics discussions last winter. At that time I wasn't able to conclusively tell from the underluff color of any of the birds whether we had eb showing up. I observed my chicks as they matured fairly closely this year however and I believe some of my birds are ewh x eb. As adults the underfluff is all white/cream but as chicks some had some pretty grey fluff not just the chick down but as they feathered out, those I strongly suspect are ewh x eb although I can't be certain. To confuse thing though, I have never seen and EO adult with anything but cream underfluff as of yet though and I do keep checking as I think that is what the homozygous eb birds would have.

Okay...no more about that on this thread from me....I promise.

What do you need to look for to know if your birds are complete [eWh/eWh] vs incomplete [eWh/e+] or [eWh/eb]?

We know what pure e+ and pure eb chick down looks like but incompletes tend to lay the two colors over the top of each other making colors and patterns that aren't easy for the amature to predict or identify  We know that early on the incompletes are easier to pick out since the juvinile feathers don't take the dominante color as well as the mature feathering do making ressives colors more visable on the Juvies.  We are not familiar with the half dozen or so other color modifier in the EO lines, so knowing what to look for at this point is a challenge.

Those with practise and knowlege with this please share your tips and discoveries.

Last edited by Little Boy Blue (2012-11-27 21:23:40)

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

2012-11-27 16:44:26

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-11-28 00:13:19

Maggiesdad

Re: How do you identify EO's with ressesive e+ and eb?

Little Boy Blue wrote:

Those with practise and knowlege with this please share your tips and discoveries.

Amen to that!  I know I need all the help I can get. :oops: PG, don't hold back.  I'm looking forward to when y'all crank the geneticspeak back up this winter...

Adverts

Board footer