Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-08-23 03:01:30

Susan
Administrator

Emergency! Ach!!! eech!! Help!!

So yesterday, I went down to the barn as usual to collect eggs from the little leghorn flock I rescued (last year). They are the only ones in the barn. My layer flock and EOs all have coops, though the leghorns also free range with them. I came out with little tiny grey specks crawling all over me!!!!! The only change is that there are barn swallows nesting I'm the barn. I'm not easily grossed out, but this little specks were crawling all over me and fast. I'm not one to use chemicals- prefer to be preventive by keeping things clean but do have an arsenal for emergencies. Got out the ivermectin and dusting powder and treated them. Can't have this spread to the others. I just want to bathe repeatedly and burn my clothes- have to admit, I dusted myself!  Is this Northern Fowl mite? Can I bring it into the house? How will I get rid of it?? I was contemplating using the barn for all the birds this winter, but read that it can persist for months even in cold climates so that may be out. Ach- I've had to stop writing to itch about 10 times now. And I sell chem free eggs- I never have had to use anyrthing like this on my layers- Not sure what to do. Help???

2011-08-23 03:01:30

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-08-23 03:40:12

Skylinepoultry
Website

Re: Emergency! Ach!!! eech!! Help!!

I'm not from the area and I couldn't tell u what they are. Id say that a good dusting should help out. Can't stand creepy crawlies. EkK!

#3 2011-08-23 04:18:24

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

Take a shower if they are really bothering you it help. Sorry lice powder is the only way I can think of.

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#4 2011-08-23 05:12:28

Island Girl

Some info I pulled off the net for Northern Fowl Mites

Distinguishing characteristics 
The entire life cycle is completed on the bird and consists of the egg, larva, nymphal stages and adult.   The eight legged adult is about 1/26 inch long and dark red to brown in color with biting mouthparts.   They appear as tiny, fast-moving white or dark specks in the feathers and on the skin around the vent area.

External parasite of poultry that feed by sucking blood.   Presence is indicated by black, greasy patches of feathers around the cloaca and vent of infested birds.   High infestations can cause anemia, lower egg production and even death.   The mites will also bite people (egg handlers) causing itching and irritation to the skin.

I think the dusting powder and Ivermectin should do the trick for you Susan. I don't like to use chemicals either but I don't want the mites etc even more. So everyone here will get done 2/year. I powder often and hang no-pest strips as well. I provide diatomaceous earth in tubs for them to dust bath in during our wet winters and use mite powder and DE on their perches and in their nest boxes. Sounds like overkill but I still found chicken lice on my girls (as you know) and nothing would keep them in check until I starting using the Noromectin. Unfortunately one of my girls pooped out a blasted round worm just 2 days ago and I have decided to go another round of Noromectin. I think I may have missed her during my treatment last time but can't be sure so would rather err on the side of caution and do everyone again! Last time I did a 4 week withdrawal for eggs but have read enough now that I am personally comfortable with doing a 2 week withdrawal. I will pm you Susan.

XOX Monika

#5 2011-08-23 11:16:27

poplar girl
Administrator

:sick: eewwww!
The crawlies are most probably from the swallows. As a kid I was tasked with repainting the barn. There was a swallow nest that had to be removed. I thought it was empty, reached in to be sure and there were baby birds. But then I looked down and my hand and arm were crawling with millions of little grey things.still makes me itch.

I use Eprinex and No Pest strips if I have a problem. Withdrawl would be less for Eprinex, it is registered for dairy cattle with no withdrawal on milk. I promise your birds from me were clean Susan, I have bees checking them every few weeks since I found and treated for mites last winter.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2011-08-23 11:35:09

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Susan, you could try dusting them with diotomacious earth and cleaning out nest boxes put new bedding in and putting Diotomacious earth  on roosts etc,  Try that first and no pest strips.  That's as chemical free as I can get here.  Give that a week and check, if not, then I dust with the carboxy stuff which seems to work.  I've never given eprinex here but it sounds like it should work. :thumbsup:

#7 2011-08-23 11:48:56

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh and don't abandon the barn on account of the creepy crawlies...you can get them cleaned out. You will want to get those swallows out I would say.

I tried the insecticide powder only...it did not kill my mites.
I tried the DE only...still mites
I tried the NO Pest only (even in a small space closed up)...still mites.

Even with repeat diligent applications.

Eprinex (bought mine online; or Ivomectin but it will have a longer egg withdrawal) plus No pest strips (I buy from Home Hardware) and get rid of those swallows.

Did someone say to check the base of the feathers near the vent area of your birds for mites or eggs? If they have them that will be where you see them.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#8 2011-08-23 13:36:39

Susan
Administrator

Thanks everyone. I really think it was the swallows who brought them- poor birds- how do they live with that?  I want to clean (burn down) the barn but don't even want to be in there. They cover me. I'm only going in there last at night as I don't want to spread them- but am afraid it will spread anyways. I wear boots, pants and a jacket  dusted with dusting powder and the are still getting on me. The swallows are about to fledge their nest so I am going to let them. What a mess. And PG, of course I know this didn't come from your birds- and they are safe- so far- in the coops with the others

#9 2011-08-24 01:11:28

poplar girl
Administrator

Susan don't leave the chickens with mites too long, if the numbers are as high as they sound they will be sucking alot of blood from your chooks that might start to cause problems. Pale combs are a sign. Maybe you can Eprinex the baby swallows :P

#10 2011-08-24 01:28:24

Susan
Administrator

2 days ago I used ivermectin and dusting powder on the leghorns in the barn. Also dusted the nestboxes, roosts and litter. Today I found some pour on lice liquid for horses(1 percent pyrethrin in an oil base) and painted the walls of the barn and around the swallow nest.  I'm keeping a close watch on the other coops and my paint the sides of their nestboxes and coop walls with it tomorrow. Don't worry- I'm Soooooo on it!! Ach!!

#11 2011-08-24 03:44:09

poplar girl
Administrator

You TOTALLY have it cased Susan. Mites beware!!!

#12 2011-08-24 14:26:07

Susan
Administrator

:sick:  I sure hope so!

#13 2011-08-24 14:40:01

ChickieBooBoo

Good luck!

#14 2011-08-24 16:20:33

Flat Rock Farm

It's one of the unfortunate things that come along with keeping birds :sick:.  Almost impossible to keep them totally creepy crawly free.  I use Ivormectin twice a season, once in the spring and once in the fall, use DE a lot or spread some Carboral Powder to dust birds and pens.
Hope you are winning the battle!!

#15 2011-08-24 16:21:26

Island Girl

Susan, what a good idea to paint around the nest boxes etc Very smart! I just heard yesterday about a product called Zodiak that a couple of 'experienced' chicken people here have started using. I believe it is a spray and also used for fleas. I have not even googled it yet but they are quite taken with the product, although i heard it was expensive!

If anyone can beat this I believe it is you, go Susan  :cheer:

XOX Monika

#16 2011-08-25 01:10:28

poplar girl
Administrator

Wanna know what's just as bad as mites? FLEAS! I just had one jumping on ME in my house! I just came from the animals and petting the dog so I do believe the dog has fleas :(

Chickens don't get fleas do they!?!

Ewwweeee :sad:

#17 2011-08-25 02:14:49

Susan
Administrator

Another Ach!! And yes, I do believe they can get fleas. I use a product from my vet for my dogs- forget the name right now, but you just apply it on their shoulder and keeps the ticks and fleas etc away for a month. The ticks are so bad here now that I start using it in May.

#18 2011-09-05 13:03:31

Susan
Administrator

Just an update on the mite situation. Its now 15 days later and not a mite to be seen. I have cleaned out the entire barn (was going to anyways) and stripped everything, swept and dusted. The leghorn stall is all fresh with new bedding and I repainted the nest boxes with pyrethrin as well as the bottom of the roosts. I'm thinking of doing the "pyrethrin paint" on all nestboxes and roosts in all the coops. Seems to work like a charm.

#19 2011-09-05 13:07:29

Island Girl

Island Girl wrote:

If anyone can beat this I believe it is you, go Susan  :cheer:

XOX Monika

Told you so :P

XOX Monika

#20 2011-09-05 13:14:10

poplar girl
Administrator

Well that's great news Susan! Does the paint leave things oily or does it dry completely? I've never heard of it. I wonder how much goes into the air, you wouldn't want to OD them on it. Pyrethrins are natural but still very toxic to animals, just less toxic than to mites.

#21 2011-09-05 13:58:48

Susan
Administrator

LoL IG :)! Its actually a pour on for horses PG, I really don't know how volatile it is. It has no smell at all, but that may not mean anything. By putting it under the roosts, not on top, the birds aren't in contact with it so that's good. You can tell its on there, but it isn't sticky- kinda like any oiled wood. I am leary of pyrethrn. Even being "natural", I know its toxic, but this seems to balance its good properties with the risks. I guess I'll see how it goes.

Adverts

Board footer