Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-11-05 16:00:50

Micah and Kiah

Ivermectin

In the horse part of my llife, we deworm horses weither they show signs of needing it or not a minimum of twice a year.  The first time is in the Spring when they are out on new pastures with short grass and the ground has thawed.  The second time is after the first killing frost has killed any parasites hiding in poo we might have missed cleaning up.

How often do I ivermectin the chickens?  How many drops do I use for a big cockeral versus a D'Uccle?

How long should we throw out the eggs after treatment?

Will internal treatment get rid of any external problems too?  (Got a couple in one area that have mites.  I bathed them throughly only to discover I am allergic to the shampoo and now I am covered in hives :stomp::banginghead:)

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

2012-11-05 16:00:50

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-11-05 17:29:01

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Ivermectin

Hey Kathy, here is a post by Darren Smale from PSO.

Ivermectin or Bimectin is my choice for this. Can be bought in either 50ml, 100ml or 250ml...watch the expiry dates though.
Depending on what breed you are doing, we give ours all orally, rids works and also kills lice as well and we have seen it work and birds clean for up to a year.
Dosages would vary according to bantams, std and waterfowl (which is all we use it on)
btms might get 3-4 drops down the throat, same as btm ducks, std would get 4-6 drops.

I typically do them the same as you treat your horses in the spring and fall and at the fall dose I trim breaks and toe nails at the same time if they need it, hope this helps :thumbs:

#3 2012-11-05 22:33:28

Micah and Kiah

Thanks Paula!  How long do we have to throw away the eggs?

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#4 2012-11-06 02:06:52

Flat Rock Farm

I usually give it a week before I start using them again.

#5 2012-11-06 04:31:05

Lindy Lou

The cheapest place I found was at the feed store in Owen Sound that Claire uses. It was so much cheaper than the FS. If I remember rightly is was almost $40.00 cheaper

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#6 2012-11-06 12:20:28

poplar girl
Administrator

My own experience is that a similar product, Eprinex, does not work on mites. Maybe Ivemectin does but I would suggest checking your birds with mites about ever week for at least a month after you treat to see if they are really gone.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2012-11-06 20:44:16

Micah and Kiah

poplar girl wrote:

My own experience is that a similar product, Eprinex, does not work on mites. Maybe Ivemectin does but I would suggest checking your birds with mites about ever week for at least a month after you treat to see if they are really gone.

Thanks everyone.  These two little ones have been isolated since getting into bad feed.  I'll keep them isolated for another month and watch carefully for any new mites on them.  I don't want to use the shampoo on them again, I'm still all covered in hives!  The two youngsters however LOVED getting a bath!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#8 2012-11-09 16:01:18

debbiej

Monika got a large bottle of Frontline, she used that on the flocks. One squirt on the vent and you're good to go. No withdrawl and it kills lice and mites, worms for at least 6 months, could be longer. Check back with Monika to be double sure

#9 2012-11-09 17:10:45

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Ok, revolutionary (read desparate) treatment here! Try ShopVac-ing them! :shock:  Seriously!  I have never Ivormectined, of given them oral medication, I really don't to use that when we rae selling and eating eggs, we just used the No pest strips (that quietly expired hence the treatment needed - so now we write when the 3 months is up on them with a sharpie) and the no pest usually are Ok, though you have to keep a close eye on the bachelor pen roos as they barely let their guard down to dust bath.

Anyway I decided I wanted the *@!ckers off my poor  roosters right there and then, so tried this.  Get ready for some imagery....  =D

So you you sit on a  low stool near the plugged-in shopvac, :net:  up-turn the chook and trap them between your legs with vent up, with good light overhead.   My vac had a drywall bag for the chook dander anyway. Make sure there are not feathers with eggs (Brazillian time)  pluck the offending feathers into a cardboard box headed for the burn barrel) then use two hands to control the vacuum as it is strong (and I imagine it can give the chook a thrill if it "connects") and vacuum the rest of them off :sick: (the chooks don't move a muscle, seriously) then dust the birdy's bot in cabaryl powder/ash or whatever.  It has worked in one go!  :jumping: 

You have to vacuum a bit where the epicentre of the crawlies was, :shock:  stop, take a look, then look again, they sometimes run up onto the belly and the chook armpits.  I usually vacuum up any extra spilled carabyl powder or some sulfur into the bag to kill them in there :whistle:  As far as the cruelty factor, I love my birds and wouldn't harm them, and they walk away like nothing happened :funny: and they still come to see me after! :love:   So for what it's worth, it's a way to get rid of most of the lice in one sitting even if it seems :Crazy:

#10 2012-11-09 23:49:07

Flat Rock Farm

OMG Claire that is too funny, but guess if it works and your a whizz bang with the shop vac.  I don't think I would have enough hands to control the bird and the shopvac all at once.  Think we are going to need a youtube video for this :funny:

#11 2012-11-10 02:02:47

poplar girl
Administrator

:shock: shop vac eh?

I also acquired Frontline (spray on) and my mite problem is a not so distant bad memory now.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#12 2012-11-10 13:37:45

Flat Rock Farm

Hey PG where do you buy Frontline spray on??  I work at a vet clinic I have only ever seen the topical individual doses, I was wondering how many drops you would put on a chicken???
I am in the US now visiting my Mum so am wondering if I can't get it in CA then maybe I have to purchase it here.

#13 2012-11-10 14:26:48

poplar girl
Administrator

It is a US product so definately buy it while you're down there. I order mine through Cutler Supply. I am told the spray-on is a better formulation for poultry than the drops as the drops are pretty concentrated but I know people use both. Last show I took my birds to was where they picked up mites and they were very hard to get rid of. This year I will treat them before we go with Frontline as it lasts 30 days.

#14 2012-11-10 18:29:45

Lisa

Claire,

I would LOVE to see a video of the vacuuming procedure!!!! :lol:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#15 2012-11-10 19:17:48

mikencarol

......well Claire....you did it now!!!!! I thought a hen only laid one egg per day....but with your Shopvac method, you can suck several of them things out!!!!!!!  :funny:  :funny:                                    I really didn't do that but....the visual was hilarious..............Shopsuck scrambled eggs!!

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#16 2012-11-11 01:11:09

Flat Rock Farm

:funny: Good one Mike!!

Good to know PG about the Frontline spray, there is a vet clinic down the road from my Mum so I am going to check with them.

#17 2012-11-11 14:24:02

Micah and Kiah

Frontline sounds awesome!  I wish I could get some.  We are using the ivermectin for now and today will finish treating everyone, even though they don't all have signs.  I don't want the mites to leave one bird and go to another!  Oddly, the problem started with the fall of the giant willow. It had always been full of wild birds.  i suspect the mites came from there.  :stomp:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#18 2012-11-11 14:34:55

Maggiesdad

OMG Claire you're the best!!! :funny:  :jumping::jumping::jumping:

oppa gangnam style?...  Passé.

Skeflin Lavenda Style? The new way to raise chooks!  :excited: :excited: :Canada:

:)

#19 2012-11-11 18:14:26

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Hey, I was mad with the mites and knew upside-down the birdies go trance-y, so why not? :chairhide:  All ones I have done, I did single handed, so no Nathan helping.  Hold the bird between your legs, put the shop vac within reach and brace one heel of hand (my right) on right side of birdy's bum/leg and hold the hose into the fingers and use leverage on your wrist to keep the vaccum hose off their skins, and use the other hand to part feathers!   Likely it is easier with two people, but the lice hee-bee-jee-bee Nathan out :shock:  so I am on my own!  Best I can get is him to hold a flashlight if needed.

I tell you what, I need a shower after,:sick:   imaginary or real crawlies, makes no difference :nervous:

#20 2012-11-11 18:33:05

Maggiesdad

I'm itching just thinking about it! :funny:

#21 2012-11-12 02:38:52

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I was itching just writing it..... :shock:

#22 2012-11-12 03:11:48

mikencarol

....OK NOW..........That's alright...just as long as you don't scratch each others itch  :shock:  :funny:

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#23 2012-11-12 13:23:08

Flat Rock Farm

:funny: Ah Mike, that would be taking the fun out of it.  We would look like the monkey's picking ticks off each other, minus them eating them afterwards :sick:

#24 2012-11-12 13:57:50

Lindy Lou

Enough you guys already!!! :sick: :sick:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#25 2012-11-12 14:40:38

Flat Rock Farm

Come on LL it's just protein =D

Adverts

Board footer