Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-10-18 16:39:18

dreamergirl

Feeding Fermented Feed

I've been reading with interest the posts on feeding your chooks Fermented feed, so I thought maybe starting a thread would be a good place to start, so it's easier to find. :)

How many of you actively use this method and what do you add to it?  Last winter, I made an unfermented wet mix of scratch, layer crumbles and added alfalfa pellets to it for added greens..  Now, I'm not sure if adding ACV  would be good, as I've never tried fermenting this mix.

I also found a post by galanie on BYC about saving money by making your own ACV. You do however, need to start with one bottle of natural ACV (with the mother), unless you want to wait 6 months.

"Making your own ACV is child's play. Of course you'll need a start of it by getting Braggs or similar. Or if you want to wait for 3-6 months you don't but... Best juice to use is frozen apple juice WITHOUT added calcium. It's ok if it has the "Added Vitamin C" but not the calcium. Just mix up the frozen juice, glugg in some Braggs, cover with coffee filter (held by a rubber band) and sit the whole works in the pantry for a month. Only use a glass or ceramic jar. You'll end up with a slimy layer on top that is tan to cream colored. That is the real "mother." You can taste it with a straw or with litmus paper to see if it's done yet.

Take out the slimy thing and plop it into the next batch instead of glugging in Braggs and you're off and running.

PS - there are more than one reason why the frozen juice is best, the main one for me being that it's only going to cost you $2 a gallon that way if you get the generic. But besides that, the frozen is not pasteurized and so the enzymes you need to make the ACV are still present."

Last edited by dreamergirl (2012-10-18 16:44:36)

2012-10-18 16:39:18

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-10-18 17:21:19

mikencarol

Re: Feeding Fermented Feed

50 something years ago, my Dad made us soak our hog feed for a couple days before we fed it.  I thought it was crazy then. :duh: Little did I know how smart it was.  Although we didn't add yeast or ACV...when we fed feed that we  sat in our hot barn, there was fermentation taking place. I soak mine in 5 gallon buckets...with a shake, from a shaker filled with bakers yeast of brewers yeast and a large gulp of ACV....I also feed the majority of liquid in the bucket and use a small ammount of it to start the next batch. I personally like to let it soak for 3 days so I use 3 buckets and use the oldest to feed and start a new one in the empty.  I use about 3 to 1 ratio of Scratch to Grower or layer pellets.  I don't even stir it....the yeast and ACV get mixed in when I fill the bucket with water.  I know it is relative to the ammount of feed/type and the yeast/ACV added, I just wish we could determine how we are changing the protein content...I know it helps....my birds on it all look great.:jumping:

Last edited by mikencarol (2012-10-18 17:57:08)

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#3 2012-10-18 19:31:53

dahlisgrams

I've been feeding this for almost a month with great results. I have two 5 gallon buckets with two different blends. Both have regular feed and one has additional crimped oats, ground flax seeds and a small amount of alfalfa and the other just has the same but less of it. I give the second bucket to the chicks. They all look terrific with this as their main diet though they never looked poor. I also use the Bragg's ACV in both. I add to the buckets daily and add enough water to keep it moist. So far so good. In addition to the mash, they also have access to the dry crumble though their consumption of it has greatly decreased.

There is ACV in their water as well though only a little. It takes a little more time but I don't mind it. The added benefits seem worthwhile to me.

#4 2012-10-19 14:10:46

dreamergirl

I was reading that once the fermentation starts, the mixture produces it's own heat, so doesn't freeze and can be kept in an outside building in winter temps?
Our winter temps can get pretty cold here, so I've been keeping my unfermented mixture in the house, which isn't a pretty sight (or smell :lol:)

#5 2012-10-20 01:35:50

dahlisgrams

dreamergirl wrote:

I was reading that once the fermentation starts, the mixture produces it's own heat, so doesn't freeze and can be kept in an outside building in winter temps?
Our winter temps can get pretty cold here, so I've been keeping my unfermented mixture in the house, which isn't a pretty sight (or smell :lol:)

Mine is in the kitchen too... Along with most of the grain! It looks more like a feed room but I think it smells good. It may not come mid summer though.. :whistle: I'm trying to keep from feeding rodents so it'll have to do for now. Even the week olds love this stuff!

It really seems to have an effect on the smell of their poop. It is much less stinky! :thumbsup:

#6 2012-10-20 12:20:37

dreamergirl

I think adding the ACV would actually make mine smell better ;)

When I think back to the days on the farm when I was growing up, I used to actually like the smell of the "pig slop" that my dad used to make up for the pigs.   :huh:  Go figure.

#7 2012-10-20 16:37:03

NaturesPace
Website

I have been using layer feed that as some probiotics and active cultures. I have added some ACV in the past but don't do it anymore. I keep a bit of the liquid each time some I know it has all the makings for the next batch.

I don't feed it regularly. It is more of a treat. They do love it. Maybe I should consider using it as their only feed.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#8 2012-10-20 17:00:13

dreamergirl

I think what I am going to do is start by just keeping a bowl of it in the coops to supplement their layer crumbles and see what happens.
I take comfort in knowing they have a choice. :)

#9 2012-10-20 22:10:13

mikencarol

:thumbs:I bet ya a Coke that bowl won't last long.  Mine prefer it WAY before anything dry!!:wine:

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#10 2012-11-03 17:20:07

mikencarol

.....:net:  I have a question for some of you real Chicken/Turkey folks......In between the time you load birds in your pick-up to take them to a sale, and when you get to the sale barn....how many times can a bird CRAP??  From expierence thismorning....I think it is somewhere between 1000 and 1500 times....:shock:  :shock: !!!!And I quit feeding yesterday morning...good thing they don't sell by-the-pound  :eat:  :turkey:

Adverts

Board footer