Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-10-24 01:50:22

Susan
Administrator

Euskal Oiloa a la Stir Fry

On Saturday, we butchered 9 Roos. They varied in age between 20weeks and 1 1/2 years. Not all were Euskal Oiloak. I found this awesome girl to come and do them for $5/ bird. A good deal I think, as she did them here, and parted or left whole whichever I chose. So I gave a roasting bird (EO) to my friend. She loved him! Said it was the best roast chicken ever. Ok, back to my point. Tonight I made a stir fry. I am looking for different uses for my heritage boys. I love roast chicken and chicken pot pie etc but I need diversity if it will be my main source of chicken. Tomorrow I hope to can some. Here is what I did tonight- super easy and fast!   
  Slice 4 raw breass diagonally across the grain. Let sit for 20 min to come to room temp. Heat evoo in fry pan to almost smoking. Place chicken in carefully to not burn yourself. ( it will spatter a lot a first). Keep pieces moving around the pan and cook until just cooked through (about 4 minutes). Remove from pan to a plate to rest. Add a bit of water to the pan and lots of veggies - all different types ( peppers, carrots, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, onion, cabbage, boy Choy ( you get the idea). I cheated and picked up an awesome stir fry vegetable mix my grocery has. Cook veggies to tender crisp. Stir in some stir fry sauce ( again took the quick route tonight, using bottled) and let cook down for about two minutes. Add chicken back in to warm. Serve over rice or noodles. Voila. Dinner in 15 minutes and THE most tender breasts I have ever eaten. They were amazing!!!

2012-10-24 01:50:22

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-10-24 02:35:50

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Euskal Oiloa a la Stir Fry

:thumbsup: :eat: Sounds great!

#3 2012-10-24 21:44:54

Maggiesdad

That does sound great, Susan!  :eat:

:applause:

#4 2012-10-25 16:16:38

picis peeps

Yum, think I will come to your house for supper.  We cooked up Dr Pecker last week and I tried to eat the meat but found I couldn't and ended up with indigetion all night from what little I did manage to get down.  Can only put it down to the emotional tie as he was our first roo.  Still got one in the freezer, he was one of Dr Peckers sons. Dont know if I will be able to eat him either but we will see.  Will have to try your recipe and that may help.  Any hints for getting beyond the emotional bit?

#5 2012-10-25 18:02:44

mikencarol

:wine:   :wine:   :wine:

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#6 2012-10-25 18:11:52

Lindy Lou

I have a very hard time eating the meat birds we raised. I don't think I will be able to eat my EO Roosters when the time comes. I know that they had a good life and that is what we kept them for but Geezs..... i watched them fight their way out of their shell and now they are supposed to be dinner. :sick: I will just have to turn vegetarian.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#7 2012-10-25 18:39:03

Maggiesdad

mikencarol wrote:

:funny: That'll do it!

Give'em a couple more weeks in the freezer, or better yet,  skip the three meals prior... =D They'll be some kinda good! :eat:

Seriously, make sure you are handling and cooking them according to what they are...  http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/cooki … hicken.pdf

#8 2012-10-25 20:09:14

Susan
Administrator

It's never easy. I did, however grow out twenty roos specifically to butcher. I didn't name them, spend time with them etc. I only brought in food and water to the coop and pen and would watch to make sure all was well. I also had help with the butchering, which made it easier. I am better now than I used to be. I felt good knowing they had a good life if even for only about 6 months.

#9 2012-10-27 21:52:22

ChestnutRidge
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

Seriously, make sure you are handling and cooking them according to what they are...  http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/cooki … hicken.pdf

Great article, MD.  I see the part you were referring to on Friday about how the traditional meat breeds used to be competetive with the egg laying breeds.  That is great to know!  It will definitely affect the way I select breeders.

Thanks!

#10 2012-10-27 23:03:54

Susan
Administrator

Maggiesdad wrote:

mikencarol wrote:

:funny: That'll do it!

Give'em a couple more weeks in the freezer, or better yet,  skip the three meals prior... =D They'll be some kinda good! :eat:

That's funny, MD, I read that article too about a week ago- some great info there!

Adverts

Board footer