Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-10-19 15:32:20

Lindy Lou

Baked Beans

In my quest to get away from buying canned foods I got a recipe for Baked Beans. Boy do they take a long time to make and probably not cost effective to make in small batches. Does anyone know if you can freeze or bottle them? Or even a recipe to make them in a slow cooker?

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

2012-10-19 15:32:20

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-10-19 15:54:06

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Baked Beans

Oh no not beans!!! :nervous:

Sorry LL I can't help you with a recipe but you know how the song goes, I try and stay away from the darn things :whistle:

Although my neighbor makes them every year for her annual Halloween party, I even have some they are REALLY good.  I know she does them in the slow cooker,  I will have to ask her recipe :thumbs:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-10-19 15:54:23)

#3 2012-10-19 17:09:29

Lindy Lou

Thanks Paula and yes I do know the song. :funny: The fibre is good for you so they're worth the rsik.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#4 2012-10-19 17:28:45

Flat Rock Farm

:funny: Well I will ask Joanne for the recipe and get back to you, I know she uses Maple Syrup and they have a real nice flavor :eat:

#5 2012-10-20 01:56:45

dahlisgrams

Oh yummy! I'd love a good recipe for baked beans! When I make black beans and rice I rinse the beans and pick out anything broken and then I cook them at a low boil for a good fifteen minutes, drain and rinse them again. They get fresh water and go back on the stove on low until they're simmering again at which point I turn them off and let them sit covered for a few hours or overnight. They are drained and rinsed again before I add them to whatever I'm cooking until they're ready to eat. We have no side effects *ahem* when I cook them this way. :whistle: It takes a little more planning and time, but I don't mind. We're setting the pens up so I can watch the chooks out the kitchen windows that are over my main work counter so I can prep, cook and see them all at the same time. :cheer:

We adore beans and brown rice.... mmmmm...... :eat:

#6 2012-10-20 15:03:16

Micah and Kiah

A question a vegetarian can help with!:excited: Beans are a type of pulse and are gluten free as well as a great source of fibre   protien.  My mennonite mother in law lets her beans dry naturally in the pods in the garden. Then she shells them for storage. When you are ready to us some soak them in water for 12 hours. 

Here is a recipe for molasses baked beans that I found in Canada's Best Slow Cook by Donna-Marie Pye.   We like maple baked beans here though so I will look for that recipe tonight.  The recipe below allows you to add the beans dry:

4 cups water
1 Ib white pea beans or navy beans
6 cups of cold water
1 onion chopped
1 can of tomatoe paste
3/4 cup of ketchup
2 cloves of minced garlic
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp pepper

1. In a large pot over medium high heat, bring water to a boil.  Add beans and simmer for 10 minutes.  Drain and rinse.
2. Transfer beans to a slow cooker and add about 6 cups of cold water or enough to completely cover the beans
Cover and cook on low 10 to 12 hours or until tender with a fork.  Drain but reserve 2 cups of the ooking liquid

3.  In a bowl combine onion, tomatoe paste, ketchup, molasses, garli, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper.  Stir well.  Add to slow cooker with the beans and reserved liquid   cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours until beans appear hot and bubbly

Instead of ketcup you can use salsa

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#7 2012-10-20 15:09:32

Lindy Lou

Excellent Thank you my Vegetarian friend. I was looking for recipes yesterday but all I could find was with pork in them and we don't like that. Then the Lightbulb came on and I tried Vegetarian Baked Beans and Voila!
I will certainly give your recipe a try :eat:

#8 2012-10-24 03:09:37

Lindy Lou

I made baked Beans today. I followed the  recipe that came on the bean package as it was my first try. Apart from taking 7 hours in the oven at 250 they were quite easy to make and tasted wonderful. I froze the bulk of them and can now scratch one less canned thing we will be eating.
Now what's next. Oh I made homemade doggie treats. With all the bad press about treats from China i knew I could do better. I used Whole Wheat flour, Soya Milk and Unsalted Peanut Butter for some and my own homemade Cheese in some others. I have got a recipe for some using \brown Rice Flour for dogs with Grain allergies.
Could be the start of a GREAT at home business. I call it Bake a Dog a Bone   :Canada:

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-10-24 03:11:24)

#9 2012-10-25 22:38:15

debbiej

LL you can can your own beans  :)

#10 2012-10-25 23:57:12

Lindy Lou

I don't have a pressure canner and I read that is the only way I could safely can them

#11 2012-10-26 00:56:02

Susan
Administrator

That is true LL. I made a batch this year- they were good! You put dry beans in with the sauce and the pressure canner cookers them perfectly in an hour and fifteen minutes. :)

#12 2012-10-26 02:02:03

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Sounds great Lynn.  After a  day riving about outside (cutting grass for a second viewing on Sat and tidying the veggie garden), we had home-grown omelettes with veggies from the garden, home made molasses wholewheat bead and Nathan's home make ketchup - we have loads of tomatoes :whistle:  It actually tastes like Heinz.  I like my Bisto and Paxo and Heinz and I was a bit hesitant to try it (miss picky) but I'll post the recipe of anyone wants it.  He did make beans years ago but they weren't like Heinz.  He has been making hot sauce and we have salsa coming out of our ears,  It is so nice to produce your own condiments too.  Having an extensive veggie garden drives you to it as you don't want to waste any!

#13 2012-10-26 02:17:58

Lindy Lou

We thought ours were better than Heinz!! I'm like you I usually only buy brand names like heinz beans and Ketsup, Birds Custard . I would love a recipe for homemade ketsup. Anything to get away from store bought with all the preservatives and salt.
We have plans to buy a couple of goats in the spring so then I would have my own milk to drink and make cheese with. Problem is we are tying ourselves to the land and it would be more difficult to go away. That's the only thing that is stopping us from jumping right in.

#14 2012-10-27 00:14:12

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

OK it's from a 1963 book called Freezing and canning cookbook (from the food editors of Farm journal)  it is on page 310 and is called Western Gourmet ketchup, did I mention I collect old canning and jamming books :whistle:

7 Quarts of tomatoes pureed - 18lbs - we roasted them for an hour first (we use a Victorio strainer thingy, http://www.infobarrel.com/Victorio_Food … _Strainers)
3 tablespoon salt
2/3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon of whole black peppers
1 tablespoon of whole allspice
1 tablespoon of mustard seeds
4 bay leaves
4 chili peppers
1 tablespoon of dried basil
2 cups white vinegar

Add all the ingredients (Spices in a cloth or muslin bag) (except vinegar) to the pureed tomatoes
Cook until thick about 1.5 hours
Add vinegar in the last 10 minutes of cooking
Remove spices
Pour into hot sterilized jars, seal at once
Makes 4 pints

We made it because we thought it might be barbequey and spicy but it is just like heinz tomato sauce.  :thumbs:

#15 2012-10-27 00:30:18

Susan
Administrator

Ooh! I'm canning more tomatoes tomorrow- I think I need to try this!! Did you pressure can it?

#16 2012-10-27 01:10:02

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Apparently he didn't process it at all, we'll be keeping it in the frige.  If we had, it would have been 40 minutes in a regular canner, we don't have a pressure canner but would love one, what kind to you have Susan?  For roasting the tomatoes, we just put them whole in a  pyrex bake them 1 hour, let them cool (often overnight) then mill them.

Adverts

Board footer