Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-10-22 20:53:56

NaturesPace
Website

backup Cockerel

hi all
This is my backup cockerel who i'm starting to like more than  my main guy. Yellow, was the cockerel i was going to use as my main man, but i'm not liking his personality. He isn't as protective of the flock and doesn't pass out tidbits very often.

Purple, my second guy has turned out nice, but has white legs and more grey. What do you think about if I used Purple with yellow legged girls?

Purple
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/Naturespace/purple_01.jpg

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/Naturespace/purple_02.jpg

Yellow
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/Naturespace/yellow.jpg

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

2012-10-22 20:53:56

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-10-22 21:09:26

Flat Rock Farm

Re: backup Cockerel

Purple is beautiful :love: I would breed him even with the white legs, he has good form, a very handsome fellow for sure :thumbs:

Last year I used a yellowed legged roo over all white legged hens and I'd say 90% turned out yellow :huh:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-10-22 21:10:15)

#3 2012-10-23 00:56:53

poplar girl
Administrator

I really like Purple, he reminds me a lot of my Pink! I think his type is very good as are his comb and tail barring. Do you know if he carries the allele for yellow legs?

Either way, honestly, I would use him for breeding for sure!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2012-10-23 00:57:53

Lisa

Purple looks good - he's got a lovely comb and good shape. If he's got a winning attitude, I would say Yellow is out of a job. I bred an eo rooster this year that was quite good looking but had a dicey attitude - which got passed on to some of his sons. With the roos, so much of their genetics goes into the birds....

You have to deal with him on a daily basis - pick the fella you like the best... =D

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#5 2012-10-23 20:27:53

NaturesPace
Website

PG, how would I know if he carries the allele? Would I need to know his parents? He is from eggs I got from James, so I don't know anything more about his lineage.

I'm also hopeful for my new little cockerel (4 weeks). He looks a lot like Purple at this age, so I'm hoping his coloring is at least as nice as his or even less grey! (his dad is Yellow)

I do think Yellow might be out of a job. We has such high hopes for him. MD was even looking into borrowing him. MD will need to meet him and decide for himself.

#6 2012-10-23 22:45:45

Maggiesdad

:roadtrip:

#7 2012-10-23 22:51:42

mikencarol

....Although new to EO's.......with alot of Roosters, there can be a very fine line between Protective and Aggressive.  I have a Black Breese that the previous owner thought was agressive.  He won't attack me or anyone that I have seen but he certainly will get in-between me and his hens and will warn another rooster if they come too close...I kinda like that edgeiness, for the lack of a better term, rather than a rooster being too passive.  I know we want quality more than quanity, but when I had Austrolops, my more agressive roosters had alot higher fertility rate. Both Yellow and Purple are good looking guys though...decisions, decisions, decisions!!!!  Thank goodness you have some good options :jumping:

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#8 2012-10-23 23:12:42

picis peeps

OOh he is definitely a beauty.  I am no expert but I would keep him.  Our first EO rooster is a real character, we call him 7 Up.  I caught him in the garage the other day with his head in the treats bag and when I asked he what he was doing he took his head out, clucked at me as if to say mind your own business, and got back to eating.  Boy did we laugh.

#9 2012-10-24 01:07:23

poplar girl
Administrator

NP there is a very high likelyhood he carries the allele for yellow shanks and skin if he is from James. I would guess all of James' roosters have yellow legs and he kept just a few really nice white legged hens. Either way white legs are pretty easy to fix in a couple generations.

I want the best of both worlds with my roosters: protect their hens from preditors etc but never attack me!! I am beginning to realize that might be asking a bit much.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#10 2012-10-24 01:54:39

dahlisgrams

He is so nice!!! Move over, there's a new main main in town! :excited:

Really, I like him a lot!

#11 2012-10-24 02:42:02

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Both handsome lads.  Sometimes that not sharing treats can be a little bit of immaturity.  There is usually a point where they usually realize it is in their interest to give out tibits as there are rewards from the hens... :thumbs:  I am sure it is desirable to have this behaviour kick in ASAP to protect the girls even when they are all young.  I guess the not sharing can also be a sign they are not up to the job and are more of a loner too.

#12 2012-10-26 02:40:39

NaturesPace
Website

Friday MD and CR will be over for a visit. If either of them fancy him (Yellow)  I will let him go with them. My youngster is looking more and more grey, but I do love Purple and his girls love him too. I guess it takes awhile to get to know everyone's personalities.

Thanks for all the info! This is such a great bunch of people!  :happycrowd"

Last edited by NaturesPace (2012-10-26 02:44:12)

#13 2012-10-26 12:11:59

Flat Rock Farm

Have a nice get together today you guys :happycrowd"

Wish us :Canada: girls could join you. =D

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-10-26 12:13:46)

#14 2012-10-26 13:46:13

NaturesPace
Website

Thanks! We wish you girls were here too. It will be a mini version of your trip. Cracker Barrel for lunch, then we will check out my flock and talk for a few hours about :chook:

#15 2012-10-26 14:36:03

Lindy Lou

Oooohhh Cracker Barrel, My favorite. If i was there I would order the Chicken and Dumplings Yummmmy :eat:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#16 2012-10-26 15:50:50

Flat Rock Farm

Oooh LL :love: the Cracker Barrel.  Must admit I enjoy eating there as well, they have good grub :eat:

#17 2012-10-26 22:43:33

NaturesPace
Website

Lindy Lou wrote:

Oooohhh Cracker Barrel, My favorite. If i was there I would order the Chicken and Dumplings Yummmmy :eat:

As long as it's not one of your chickens! :chairhide: :eat:

We had a great time. I ended up keeping Yellow for now, but will let MD have him in December. Sounds like someone is going to get "Lucky" if you know what I mean. (the pullet will be Lucky and he will get lucky... I didn't have to explain that did I?)

So many things to talk about, I don't think we were able to get it all in in 5 hours. In a couple months we will meet up again and talk more about our favorite subject. :chook:

#18 2012-10-27 00:01:19

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Isn't it amazing how times flies when in "chicken heaven"?  :chook:  So glad you had an awesome day!

#19 2012-10-27 01:01:25

Flat Rock Farm

Well I am glad "Lucky" with have a suitable mate and has some pretty babies :love:

No explaining needed NP :whistle:

Wow 5 hours yes time flies while talking chooks, next time I feel a :roadtrip: coming =D

Adverts

Board footer