Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-09-17 20:46:14

TicketyBoo

Wellington Poultry in Arthur, On.

Has anyone taken their meat birds to this place?   I'm leery about what I'm getting into :huh:

2012-09-17 20:46:14

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-09-17 22:20:08

Lindy Lou

Re: Wellington Poultry in Arthur, On.

Haven't tried that one Boo. We go to Country Poultry in Wallenstein. Found them to be really good.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#3 2012-09-18 12:50:55

Susan
Administrator

I wish we had somewhere to take them. Here we do it ourselves :(

#4 2012-09-18 12:53:02

Lindy Lou

There's less and less of them around here so at some point we will end up having to process our own. Can't say I like the thought of that :sick:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#5 2012-09-18 13:00:29

poplar girl
Administrator

Mine have an appointment in St. Paul for October 5th. 2.5 hour drive each way but WAY better than doing it ourselves. Really pleased with the results last year.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2012-09-18 13:11:22

Flat Rock Farm

Hey Allie:

I have never heard of that one.   Most people I know go to the one in Wallenstein.  One of the Veterinarians where I work on the side goes and inspects poultry processing places around Southern Ontario.  I know she said the one outside of Elmira, which would be Wallenstein??  She has never found anything "sketchy", she said she could not say that about a few others.  She wouldn't divulge any names of the "not so good" places.

#7 2012-09-18 13:54:32

Maggiesdad

Lindy Lou wrote:

There's less and less of them around here so at some point we will end up having to process our own. Can't say I like the thought of that :sick:

AH-HA! At least you're thinking about it!!! I knew you'd come around. =D :excited: :hi: :hug:

Wup! She's after me!  :excited:

Halp! :chairhide:

#8 2012-09-18 14:20:19

Lindy Lou

Oh MD you misunderstood. I didn't say I would do it or eat it after it had been done. John has no problem eating his share and mine too. Me I'd rather have an Omelet :eat:

#9 2012-09-18 18:41:41

Flat Rock Farm

Maggiesdad wrote:

Lindy Lou wrote:

AH-HA! At least you're thinking about it!!! I knew you'd come around. =D :excited: :hi: :hug:

Wup! She's after me!  :excited:

Halp! :chairhide:

:funny: You better run MD :excited:

#10 2012-09-24 16:29:57

TicketyBoo

Thanks for the input :)

We do usually frequent Country Poultry (Wallenstein) but it didn't work out - to save from going into too many details. 
Regardless, this one near Arthur is much closer. It's between Arthur and Teviotdale.   I'm looking into the packaging thing, it might be as simple as dropping them off at a local butcher shop to bag/weigh/label.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=7514+Well … m&z=16

I'll be sure to report back once they're done!

#11 2012-10-24 20:31:51

TicketyBoo

Here's my overall impression of this place.

Fortunately it is much more convenient for us to get to, and they did get the birds done fairly quick.  The downside is that they definitely do not package them. The birds are put in plastic bag lined cardboard boxes, which is still relatively neat and tidy and easy to pick up, but a real PITA because I can't sell unpackaged birds!  I took them to a local butcher who vacuum packed them (for $1/ea) but I still had to weigh and label.  :sad:

I was missing 3 birds with no explanation - they just didn't have them.  DH and I both counted all the birds the morning of so we know exactly how many were dropped off.
Also we have a customer who really REALLY likes getting all the feet so DH was sure to request that we get the feet back as ours are on grass and quite clean. When he dropped them off, they told him there's no way they can keep the feet.
When I picked them up, I double checked this info and the person I was talking to said of course we could have gotten the feet! :duh:   He did end up giving me a bag of feet, but they weren't from our birds.

Several of the birds had ripped breast skin and some were not plucked all that well, but that part wasn't any better/worse than Wallenstein or the old Dundalk place.

I doubt I'll ever take birds back there for the packaging reason alone, nevermind the missing birds.

On the other hand, I've been given 3 of someone else's birds at Wallenstein before...  Obviously there needs to be a better system in place at any of these plants to identify who owns which birds.

#12 2012-10-24 21:49:27

Maggiesdad

:funny: Somebody said they saw three chickens headed to LL's doing the quickstep with their wings out! :net:

#13 2012-10-24 22:10:19

Lindy Lou

Well Like George Washington I can not tell a lie....................

#14 2012-10-24 22:43:45

Maggiesdad

Then there were reports of strange doings down south...

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/KFC+Witness+Protection+Program_cbaea4_3238744.jpg

Adverts

Board footer