Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-04-12 15:27:46

Island Girl

Can we talk about plucking and skinning?

A few of you had mentioned on another thread that you had skinned your birds especially if they didn't need to look pretty for the table. I can definitely see the benefits of this as the dry plucking did take awhile and my thumbs are a little tender this morning. If you were to roast the bird did they dry out? Also wondering if anyone else has pressure canned their roos. Debbie and I did a few months back and I have already consumed all my jars of chicken stock. It was sooooo good. It gelled so nicely and had a beautiful golden color. So I am wondering if I skin the birds will I get the same results? I know pops does a lot of canning, hoping he'll have some words of wisdom here too. Also for those of you who do dry pluck are you suppose to pull the feathers in one direction vs another? I found that I was tearing the skin a bit but never thought about which direction I was pulling the feathers at the time :duh: Any insight here would be great!

XOX Monika

2012-04-12 15:27:46

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-04-12 17:56:30

Prairie Chick

Re: Can we talk about plucking and skinning?

I have never dry plucked.  I use a turkey deep frier but fill it with water, add some dish soap and heat to about 130.  Dip chicken in water for about 30 seconds lifting it up and down to make sure water gets to the skin.  Then the feathers pull off with ease.
I did a goose last week but that was a totally different story.  I couldn't get those darn feathers off for nothing!  So i skinned it but the skin didn't just pull off, I had to use a knife to cut it off as i pulled it.

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#3 2012-05-20 19:14:30

reereechickens

Hi, I have not processed my EO roos but other breed roos. I skin mine and they will dry out baking or BBQ on the grill. But if I bake at a lower temp or boil then BBQ for a very short time then it is not that bad.  I use the pressure cooker to cook my chicken and it is better that way cooked with BBQ sauce and I'm trying other ways. One of these days I would like to boil the water and hand pluck or eventually have a plucker.

EO's have started laying! My EO flock: 4 hens 2 roos

#4 2012-05-20 23:55:57

Susan
Administrator

Dunking them on boiling water makes plucking so easy. Done in under 5 minutes. Monika, would you share you canning recipe/ method? I might like to try it.  :eat:

#5 2012-05-21 11:43:22

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

We crockpot cook our skinned ones or roast in the oven with bacon on the breast.  :eat:  Looks like we have two people from 2 different families wanting to help us next "harvest" day which will be in the next few weeks as we have about 8 roos that can go. We will likely pluck some and skin some just to show them how.  Hopefully we'll have the mechanical plucker this fall. :jumping:

#6 2012-05-21 13:56:11

Prairie Chick

Nice to have ppl wanting to help =D  I pick up my 75 meat birds on Thursday so you can send them my way in a few months Claire :funny:

I have a turkey with a bad leg that I am going to have to butcher, I think I will partly skin him and just cut off the meat as I am going to grind it.  Do I need to gut him doing it this way or can I get away without gutting?

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#7 2012-05-21 14:38:04

gubi
Website

PC when we do the Spitz or Silkie roosters we just remove the head and then pull the skin apart by the breast and cut out the meat.  I would think you can get away without gutting a turkey for how you are planing on processing the meat.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#8 2012-06-01 13:31:03

Island Girl

Susan wrote:

Dunking them on boiling water makes plucking so easy. Done in under 5 minutes. Monika, would you share you canning recipe/ method? I might like to try it.  :eat:

Must have missed this somehow before, sorry :P I will post my recipe as soon as I find some time Susan. I am almost ready to do another batch as I have some more roos in the freezer now.

XOX Monika

#9 2012-10-18 17:16:18

dreamergirl

Dunking them and quickly swishing for about 10 seconds in a pail of boiled water has always been the best method for us.  Be careful not to leave them in the water for long, because if it's extremely hot, it iwll start cooking the bird. 

You can tell that you've left it in too long if when you go to pluck the feathers, the skin tears easily. Another tip is to be as quick as possible when plucking the major amount of feathers, because if the bird cools off too much you will have to dunk it again.

#10 2012-10-18 22:57:37

picis peeps

I was wondering about skinning instead of plucking.  We did our first processing last weekend (still trying to catch Road Runner!) and we used boiling water with a little dish soap and found the feathers came off a lot easier than I thought they would.  But next time - if/when we catch Road Runner I think I may try skinning.  I did cut my finger on a bone when I was pulling all the gunky stuff out of the old bird we had processed.  I assume I wouldnt have to gut the chicken if I skinned it, just cut off the meat portions instead so there would be no need for the band aids.

#11 2012-10-19 13:03:41

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oh dear, I guess it is the birdy's last revenge!  Maybe some lung pullers may help with the really tricky "internal debris".  They look like eyelash curler tongs (not that we own any :funny:), but if you have small narrow birds and big hands, they will save your knuckles getting scratched up at the end!

We have been skinning all of ours for the last 3 years (still haven't got the Whizbang plucker built yet and we both hate plucking) and as long as you have plenty of added fat, or moisture for moisture control while cooking, the result is a tasty dinner :eat:  We will still gut and leave them whole or part them out (with no gutting), but if we leave them whole and crock pot them, there is lest waste as you get stock that is thick and out of this world for soups.

Easiest way to skin them is cut the skin down down the front as the skin is impossible to get off the back unless you already have a start.

#12 2012-10-19 14:21:09

dreamergirl

I just can't get my head around eating blue meat!!:nervous:

gubi wrote:

PC when we do the Spitz or Silkie roosters we just remove the head and then pull the skin apart by the breast and cut out the meat.  I would think you can get away without gutting a turkey for how you are planing on processing the meat.

Adverts

Board footer