Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-06-30 19:15:28

gubi
Website

Hi from southwestern Ontario

I currently have a trio of EO's that I was lucky to get last year through the ACE egg swap from Claire.  The plan was to keep the pullets of what ever breed I get to add to the layer flock.  Well that plan changed when we got EO's those rooster are the nicest roosters I have ever seen.  Unfortunately my favorite hen has crooked toes so I didn't really wanted to breed her.  But that wasn't a problem, it seems that every time Claire had extra eggs she was traveling my way so I ended up with getting EO eggs from her 3 times this year.  :thumbsup: I now have 3 EO pullets that are almost ready to lay eggs, 3 pullets, 5 rooster that are around 2 month old and a dozen that around one month old.  We :eat: the roosters to the oldest pullets. Two had crooked toes and the third white leggs.  The one rooster with the crooked toes was the biggest one and he was delicious! The EO's are great with the kids the only thing is for the younger kids the roosters can be a little intimidating because of their size and the fact that they show no fear from humans. 
:EO:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

2011-06-30 19:15:28

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-06-30 20:48:22

Susan
Administrator

Re: Hi from southwestern Ontario

Welcome Gubi! That's so true about the roosters having no fear. Even though my daughter carried Sparkle around for the fist 6 months of his life, she is now a bit intimidated by him. I keep telling her he bee lines it for her because he likes her, but it scares her a bit!

#3 2011-06-30 23:51:23

poplar girl
Administrator

:welcome: gubi!

I am a big chicken when it comes to roosters so I hope everyone is right about the EOs being friendly and brave but not aggressive. I think we will be :eat: some roosters this year as well just because there are so many. Of the 30 plus EO chicks I have hatched this year not a single one has a crooked toe though. Lots of other things going on but no crooked toes yet.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2011-07-01 00:14:13

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:welcome: Hi Stefan.  I am so glad to see you here!  Yep, it seemed to work out with eggs this year!  I knew you'd like these for the surprise swap last year anyway.  They certainly hatch well too don't hey? 

I have to look up some chicken smilies this weekend, think we need a few more  :whistle:

#5 2011-07-02 01:40:03

gubi
Website

I have hatched 4 with crooked toes this year.  It doesn't slow them down at all.  My hen roosts way up 6 feet high at the highest roost.  One of the roosters with a club foot was actually the heaviest of the group,  He made a nice meal for our meat loving family of 5 even gave some left overs at under 4 months of age.  In the last two batches I had a cockerel in each with both feet crooked toes.  They are both doing fine.  The 2 month old is free ranging and is one of the nicest cockerels if you don't see his feet in the tall grass.

Last edited by gubi (2011-07-02 01:41:12)

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2011-07-02 01:57:28

gubi
Website

Yes Claire I can not thank you enough for those swap eggs and the 3 times this year I got more eggs again.   I owe you big times!  I too will have a hard time getting my numbers down for winter again this year. 
Those EO's are always the first to hatch and they are such cute chicks.

#7 2011-07-02 02:15:22

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

You are so welcome, I am happy to share them and it helps the breed too having more people with them and enjoying them.  :EO:  I know they still need a lot of work, but at least we have the opportunity!  =D

Adverts

Board footer