Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-08-30 02:28:22

Lisa

Chickwatch..... Week Two

Well intrepid EO'ers, here is the update!

So far Mother Nature is winning.... because the hen isn't making any mistakes! =D

Sweetpea is continuing to sit placidly on her 6 eggs, all of which look great (except that the air cells are all in different places. Don't know why I was surprised by this - she isn't using an autoturner!!) Her habits are very predictable - she leaves the nest and goes outside to her run about 2:00 every day. There is some squawking, a large deposit onto the grass, then she zips back onto the nest. I'm leaving a small dish of food in the nest (which she is eating) because she's not leaving the nest to eat! Sometimes she deigns to take a few sips of water if I hold the waterer in front of her.....

Of the eggs in the hova, two of Blondie's were non-starters (leaving 4 that look good). All of the remaining Jim eggs were good - except that I DROPPED one, trying to move too quickly to get it back in the incubator! :sad: I was too upset to clean it up, so Doug did it. He said it looked like the chick was developing normally - at least the loss of temp last week doesn't seem to have slowed down the EO's! :)

Of the d'uccles, one has clearly died. So one is hanging on by it's lonesome, along with the random Americauna egg (I think).

Hatch is due Sunday/Monday. Waiting with anticipation.....

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2011-08-30 02:28:22

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-08-30 02:41:36

Helliefant

Re: Chickwatch..... Week Two

Noooo!!! Not the D'uccles....:(
Spot and Baby are also due Sunday/Monday......Labour Day.....hmmm...
Don't forget pictures....!!

#3 2011-08-30 02:45:20

poplar girl
Administrator

:thumbsup: great update! I am now living vicariously through those hatching. Sweetpea sounds like she is doing so well!! And the extra tlc you are giving her surely can't hurt :)

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2011-08-30 03:35:57

Island Girl

Thanks for the update Lisa, I am glad that Sweatpea is doing so well. I tried to keep my Silkie going on a brood but she just up and decided she was done! Thank Goodness that I had all the eggs in the incubator, just had a feeling! Sounds like Jim is pretty fertile...=D

XOX Monika

#5 2011-08-30 13:39:02

Susan
Administrator

Yay Sweetpea! Glad yours are doing well in the incubator too IG! :cheer:

#6 2011-08-30 13:50:26

Flat Rock Farm

Oh sounds like they are well on their way, thanks for updating us all!  I do that with my broodies as well I put food and water just outside of the box as they will get themselves so emaciated.  The poor d'uccles :(, well you will have one.
Keep us updated and... pictures  :happycrowd"

#7 2011-08-31 01:04:08

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:jumping: Glad they are all still growing well.  Sorry about the broken one, what a shame.    Sometimes the D'uccles do give up, they are a much smaller egg and the cooling down would have effected them more, but I think it is partly due to the closely related parents as they really could use some new blood.  Mind you, I mailed 8 to Della in the spring in Orangeville  and she got 8 chicks under a broody!

#8 2011-08-31 02:52:14

Skylinepoultry
Website

Lisa wrote:

Well intrepid EO'ers, here is the update!

So far Mother Nature is winning.... because the hen isn't making any mistakes! =D

Sweetpea is continuing to sit placidly on her 6 eggs, all of which look great (except that the air cells are all in different places. Don't know why I was surprised by this - she isn't using an autoturner!!) Her habits are very predictable - she leaves the nest and goes outside to her run about 2:00 every day. There is some squawking, a large deposit onto the grass, then she zips back onto the nest. I'm leaving a small dish of food in the nest (which she is eating) because she's not leaving the nest to eat! Sometimes she deigns to take a few sips of water if I hold the waterer in front of her.....

Of the eggs in the hova, two of Blondie's were non-starters (leaving 4 that look good). All of the remaining Jim eggs were good - except that I DROPPED one, trying to move too quickly to get it back in the incubator! :sad: I was too upset to clean it up, so Doug did it. He said it looked like the chick was developing normally - at least the loss of temp last week doesn't seem to have slowed down the EO's! :)

Of the d'uccles, one has clearly died. So one is hanging on by it's lonesome, along with the random Americauna egg (I think).

Hatch is due Sunday/Monday. Waiting with anticipation.....

Claire,
   What do think about a nesting box for broody hens that has a small food and water slot built into them? I've been pondering building some for some time now. What's Your thoughts on this?

#9 2011-08-31 10:46:22

Flat Rock Farm

Skyline:
I think that is a great idea putting a slot for feed and water, they would still have to come out to defecate though.  They just get themselves so emaciated after hatching, my cochins once setting do not move out of the box, they look awful.  So if you do make something up please share some photo's :thumbs:

Adverts

Board footer