Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-09-14 19:23:13

TicketyBoo

Hello!

I finally made it!
Thanks to Lindy Lou and a few others, I found where all the cool kids disappeared to! :)
I've been lurking a bit over the summer and just got a roundtoit to register.

Afraid I don't have any EO's (yet) but I have a small assortment of Wyandottes, Orpingtons, call ducks and Bourbon turkeys. Until this past weekend I had WAY too many birds and something had to give, so now I have just enough for house eggs (fortunately we eat a LOT of eggs :thumbsup: ) and a wee bit of breeding next spring.   It was really difficult to make that decision so I made sure everything was re-homed quickly before I changed my mind!

In addition to my beloved poultry, my husband and I have a modest sized flock of 100ish dairy sheep, yes - we're a little crazy and we milk sheep. I also enjoy gardening, canning, sewing, baking pies and raising our 4 children (ages 5.5yrs, 4yrs, 2yrs and newborn).
Oh, and we're near Mount Forest, Ontario!

Seems like a nice group around here, both names that are familiar and new ones too, thanks for letting me join in!

2012-09-14 19:23:13

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-09-14 19:33:11

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Hello!

Hey Boo :hi: :welcome:

I am so glad you could join us :jumping:  Yes this is were a few of us have crossed over from the "other" site.  Much nicer bunch here :thumbsup:

Well you know a few of us close by that have EO's so I am sure if you want to get started with a some we can get you "hooked" up.

Again glad you are in :happycrowd"
Paula

#3 2012-09-14 21:34:25

Maggiesdad

Wow!  :hi:

Sounds like you've just hit 'slightly busy', with what all you've got going on!

#4 2012-09-14 22:04:55

Susan
Administrator

Nice to meet you Boo! I guess I'd be one of those "new to you" faces! I'm excited to hear you are a canner. I have been canning like crazy this year and just bought a pressure canner. Looking forward to do chicken this fall. Do you make cheese with your sheep milk?  Looking forward to chatting :happycrowd"

#5 2012-09-14 22:26:46

poplar girl
Administrator

:welcome: Ticketyboo! Always happy to have a new member join us and it sounds like some of the Ontario folks already know you!

I would love to hear more about your sheep =D

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2012-09-14 23:42:02

Lisa

:congrats: on the new arrival Boo! And :welcome: to the forum...

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#7 2012-09-14 23:58:35

Prairie Chick

:welcome:

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#8 2012-09-14 23:59:33

Lindy Lou

Hey Boo what's this about a Newborn? The last time I saw you our "Rose" was the youngest of the gang at your house. Anyway congratulations on the baby and crossing over to the Dark Side as once you have EO's no other chicken will do. Unless it's TPC that is.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#9 2012-09-15 00:45:29

gubi
Website

:welcome: :EO: you still haven't got any EO's yet?  You were thinking about them already at the EO breakfast.  I still have my EO's in a separate pasture if you want some hatching eggs. 
Stefan

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#10 2012-09-15 14:30:21

dahlisgrams

Hey Boo! Welcome to the party! :hi:

#11 2012-09-15 14:56:33

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Hi TicketyBoo.  How wonderful that you made it here.  Another baby?  Boy am I out of the loop. Congratulations!  Perhaps we will see you in Mount Forest in a few weeks.

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#12 2012-09-15 14:57:21

NaturesPace
Website

welcome! if you have all that milk you should be making cheese!!! :eat:

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#13 2012-09-15 15:04:00

Amblecroft
Website

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#14 2012-09-15 22:04:00

Flat Rock Farm

NaturesPace wrote:

welcome! if you have all that milk you should be making cheese!!! :eat:

Or send it to LL she's great at the cheese making business :eat:

#15 2012-09-25 23:37:09

Chrish

Hobby farmer raising food the way nature intended. Dexter cows, Berkshire pigs, heritage breed Chickens,
Euskal Oiloa, Barred Plymouth Rock, and a wish list as long as my arm. Twitter @crookhousefarm

#16 2012-09-26 19:28:45

TicketyBoo

Lindy Lou wrote:

Hey Boo what's this about a Newborn? The last time I saw you our "Rose" was the youngest of the gang at your house. Anyway congratulations on the baby and crossing over to the Dark Side as once you have EO's no other chicken will do. Unless it's TPC that is.

What is TPC? :huh:

Yep, Rose is a big sister now. Which has ups and downs since she is pretty self centered :) I will bring him to the next breakfast!

Gubi - No :sad: but with the recent downsize, perhaps I will have room for something new in the spring :whistle:

Susan - Oh canning chicken, that sounds like fun!  My mom did some when I was a kid, it made excellent soup. I am jealous of your pressure canner!

Our milking season is almost over, and I still haven't tried my hand at cheese from fresh milk. We do stock the freezer for the winter so hopefully I'll have a chance soon! LL sounds quite successful with hers :)

Thanks for such a warm welcome, you all seem like such a great group! :applause:

#17 2012-09-26 20:32:44

Lindy Lou

It stands for Tiny Purple chickens. It seems if you have EO's you must also have TPC's aka Lavender D'Uccles. I look forward to meeting the newest member of your family. I hope you get a chance to try your hand at cheese. It's a bit time consuming but I love it. So far I made Feta from Sheep which John loved and hete it all, Farmhouse Cheddar, Colby, Leicestershire and Herbed Cream Cheese. Next on the list is Caerphilly.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

Adverts

Board footer