Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-07-28 01:21:11

NaturesPace
Website

Electric netting fence

We have been using the premier one electric netting. Our Marraduna pullet insists on jumping over it every day and free ranging. She now has a crew that follow her. So we have half the birds in the protective fence and the other half free ranging. We end up letting everyone out and they free range as a flock. Everyone goes to bed at dusk and gets locked up safe.
I think the reason the first one was escaping was because the cockerels were trying to cover her and she is low on the pecking order, so even the girls chase her. By making the two groups we took the most eager cockerel and the girls that were the most pecky out. They girls seem to be really happy I their new coop. The cockerel paces a lot, because he can see the other chickens from his new home.

Problem number one is that they are unprotected out of the fence. Not too big of a deal yet, but I'm sure one day a fox or other varmint will discover them.

Second problem. We are trying to keep three roosters and two different groups. one rooster with 3 of the Orpington girls and the two EO cockerels with the EO, Welsummer and olive egger pullets. When one group is free ranging the pen group paces back and forth wanting to get out too.

Three, when the girls start to lay eggs they might start laying in the woods or some other place that we will not know about.

Any ideas on keeping them in the netting? Or do you think we need some taller fencing? We wanted to use the movable netting to keep them moving around the property. If we can't solve this we might need to just get a few chicken tractors. :banginghead:

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

2012-07-28 01:21:11

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-07-30 13:47:52

NaturesPace
Website

Re: Electric netting fence

Bump. I know a few of you are using the same fencing.

#3 2012-07-30 18:31:46

gubi
Website

Try trimming the feathers on one wing.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2012-07-30 19:12:39

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I agree with Stefan, I have never done it, but I think it might fit your situation.  You can find diagrams online of how to trim them so you do not cause the feathers to bleed.   

Ours don't go over, though the young Black pennies were going through but have grown too big now and the bigger roos that chased them are in their own tractor now.

#5 2012-07-30 19:27:13

NaturesPace
Website

great. I'm going to try this with my worst offender first.

#6 2012-08-01 14:18:56

NaturesPace
Website

I clipped one side and she got over yesterday and a bunch of others followed. Today, no one has flown the pen!!! hoping things stay this way.

#7 2012-09-03 11:35:16

Chrish

i tried clipping one wing but EO's can fly just fine clipped or not i had to put an 8 foot fence between my hens and roosters. Now they just get under every now and then :duh:

Hobby farmer raising food the way nature intended. Dexter cows, Berkshire pigs, heritage breed Chickens,
Euskal Oiloa, Barred Plymouth Rock, and a wish list as long as my arm. Twitter @crookhousefarm

#8 2012-09-03 13:07:30

NaturesPace
Website

Update, all mine seem to be staying put except for the occasional jumper. I think that happens when they get scared by one another. We also got rid of one of our roosters that I think was very tempting to the pullets.

#9 2012-09-03 13:12:16

gubi
Website

Since I have moved, I do have some that like to jump the fence too.  One young Spitz pullet decided she likes the one young Spitz cockerel and hops over 2 fences to get to him and one of my EO pullets jumps the fence to get into the main part of the coop to lay and egg.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#10 2012-09-03 13:46:32

poplar girl
Administrator

I still haven't located any electric net fence...still want some!

Our permenent fence is 5 feet. Will be replaced with chain link next year I hope.

Yesterday two of my friendliest EO pullets tried SO hard to fly over to get to me. I felt so bad as they came up flying against the fence at about 4 ft but couldn't make it over.

My little Spitz trio has stayed put so far. They are so tiny compared to the EOs and I'm sure are light enough to fly over but haven't yet. They do stick together though and I think if I separated them they would find a way to get back to one another.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Adverts

Board footer