Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-08-24 22:59:18

Susan
Administrator

Mange!

Ach!! I am pretty sure the last fox I shot had mange. It had crusty lesion all over though not the hair loss normally seen with the disease. Tempest touched it, so I am treating all of the dogs today. I am totally itchy too lol and the thought crossed my mind to tell the vets I had 4 dogs not 3 lol.
What have you experienced with mange in wildlife? Has it affected you other animals? I am assuming it is present in the fox and coyote population here. Is it always present? We have a lot of foxes this year. Wondering if it is due to overpopulation. Any experience would be great to hear about! (I'm going to have a shower now!)

2012-08-24 22:59:18

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-08-24 23:08:38

choctawgal
Website

Re: Mange!

Oh, Susan!  ARGH!!!

I'm so sorry to hear of that!  I'm itchy, by proxy!  ;)

Conditions, as such, from the parasites on *any* wild critters are of GREAT concern... My first job in an ICU was in a very rural area.  Each year we would see bubonic plague (I'm not kidding) in at least two hunters.  It was almost always passed on to the hunter through the bite of a deer tick!

Good thing you are so pro-active!

Stay well!
Jenn

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

#3 2012-08-25 01:10:51

Flat Rock Farm

Oh Susan!!  :sick:  From what I have understood that it is the same mange that can be passed onto domestic dogs as well.  By your description it sure sounds like it is mange.  Did you just treat them with Revolution or something else.  Tempest should be fine if he is treated.

I with Jenn, I'm itchy by proxy as well, yuk.  Fleas creep me out more :sick:

#4 2012-08-25 01:53:22

Susan
Administrator

I'm treating the with "Avantix multi"  Called the vet and he recommended it. Will treat again on 2 weeks and if any symptoms, again in 2 weeks after that.

#5 2012-08-25 21:56:09

Flat Rock Farm

Sounds like you got him protected :thumbs:

#6 2012-08-25 23:27:35

Susan
Administrator

I'm actually wondering how prevalent mange is in wildlife. It kinda got me thinking. Maybe people (farmers) are just used to seeing it. I checked and I don't think it is reportable. I wonder if anyone monitors it or it is more things like distemper, rabies etc that they monitor. I dodn't thinks he would be present in otherwise healthy animals. It is pretty serious for wildlife without treatment.

#7 2012-08-26 01:01:57

Flat Rock Farm

You right I think it's more the distemper and rabies that are reported not mange.  We have had a few reuse dogs come into or clinic with some bad demodex/mange the one Boston Terrier was so bad her skin was red, hardly had any hair and little bumps all over :sick:.  It must be soooo uncomfortable, sever cases they treat with Ivormec.

Adverts

Board footer