Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-08-20 20:01:10

choctawgal
Website

Recessive white pullet in route to WA epidemiology lab

Hi friend, I'm sorry that it's been a while since I have updated everybody.

Right at this moment I am taking 1 of my recessive whitehall it to our states epidemiology lab for blood work.... possibly a necropsy.  Keep her in your thoughts she has postules all over her body but seems to be doing well otherwise

I will update you later with love jen

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

2012-08-20 20:01:10

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-08-20 20:27:37

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Recessive white pullet in route to WA epidemiology lab

Oh Jen I hope she is alright :hug:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-08-20 20:27:52)

#3 2012-08-20 22:15:43

Susan
Administrator

Oh my. Hope it turns out alright! Yes please, keep us posted!

#4 2012-08-21 02:55:39

Micah and Kiah

Sending good thoughts and prayers

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#5 2012-08-21 11:53:02

choctawgal
Website

Thanks for the support...

Its been a harrowing week since finding "her" with large, crusty, multiple, bubble like lesions under all of the feathered areas... and screaming when handled... very uncharacteristic for her.

I have pictures of the lesions--both the un-popped ones on her back and neck and the popped ones along her underside that I will share after I get a bit of a nap.  They are not pretty!  The material within them appeared to be an almost dry, fibrous, keratin like material... not the icky/gooey you would expect to see from a pustule-looking type lesion.

When I got to the lab, Dr. Crespo immediately identified them on sight as Squamous Cell Carcinoma, apparently she has only seen that in commercial broilers, so I feel it is important to let everyone know--just in case any genetic "switches" pertaining to this show up later.  Since it was an advanced carcinoma, I didn't ask if I could "get her well" at home... like I'd planned... I knew I couldn't.  It also made sense as to why this outgoing little one started to avoid touch, as well as scream at being touched.

Before I finished the 3 hour drive home, Dr Crespo had already emailed me a copy of her preliminary necropsy report.  It was *VERY* interesting.  Not only was the diagnosis further confirmed, "she" was actually an under developed (regarding the internal sexual anatomy) male, and that he STILL had a retained yolk sac, at five weeks of age. 

Further histology and bloodwork will be following, with an official final necropsy report, some time in the coming week.  I will keep you updated, since it may be important to our breed, later down the line... you never know!

I'm sad to lose this sweet little RW fledgling, but very happy he suffers no more.

My love and all my best!
Jenn Nashoba-Brown

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.

#6 2012-08-21 12:16:04

Maggiesdad

Sorry to hear that, Jenn  :hug:

Did the Dr. say if it was rare or fairly common with commercial broilers? Do let us know what else you learn - I've never heard of that one...

#7 2012-08-21 12:18:40

dahlisgrams

I'm so sorry.. but glad he isn't suffering any more! :hug:

I think you're right, it may be important down the road. Necropsies are useful in so many ways but it's sad that you had to go that route. Thanks for sharing this.

#8 2012-08-21 12:59:51

Micah and Kiah

Very sorry for your loss.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#9 2012-08-21 16:23:24

Susan
Administrator

Wow. Poor guy. I have never heard of that either. I'd also be very interested to hear more about this. :hug:

#10 2012-08-21 17:53:00

choctawgal
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

Did the Dr. say if it was rare or fairly common with commercial broilers? Do let us know what else you learn - I've never heard of that one...

I have to admit, this is new to me too.  Being a science addict, and quite the medical geek, I will be doing an extensive blog page on this very shortly.   

Dr. C. related to me that this is very common in the broiler industry, because of the amount overbreeding and extremely small gene pool because of it.

I have already found some great journal articles on the subject, and will be sharing them with everybody here.   they're quite fascinating.

Out to feed the critters... is so nice to know I can cuddle the babies again without being worried of giving them some disease!!!!!  :thumbsup:

With love,
Jenn

#11 2012-08-21 18:07:57

Maggiesdad

choctawgal wrote:

Maggiesdad wrote:

I have to admit, this is new to me too.  Being a science addict, and quite the medical geek, I will be doing an extensive blog page on this very shortly.   

Dr. C. related to me that this is very common in the broiler industry, because of the amount overbreeding and extremely small gene pool because of it.

I have already found some great journal articles on the subject, and will be sharing them with everybody here.   they're quite fascinating.

Out to feed the critters... is so nice to know I can cuddle the babies again without being worried of giving them some disease!!!!!  :thumbsup:

With love,
Jenn

So glad that it wasn't something vertically transmitted (or horizontally, for that matter).

Very common in the broiler industry... hmmm... my yech factor for eating industry chicken just went through the roof. :sick:

I also hope this was a fluke and not an inbreeding indicator...  too bad these guys don't come with an inbreeding coefficient meter under their wing to help us decide who's best to work with!

#12 2012-08-22 06:52:38

debbiej

Sorry for your loss.   Interesting, but a bit scary to be sure.

#13 2012-08-22 16:01:55

Flat Rock Farm

Sorry Jenn for you loss, that is sad. :hug: 

Knowing that he is not suffering, sounds like he was very painful.  I would love to see pictures of what this looks like as I have never heard of it before.

#14 2012-08-22 18:01:42

dahlisgrams

Maggiesdad wrote:

Very common in the broiler industry... hmmm... my yech factor for eating industry chicken just went through the roof. :sick:

Umm, me too. :sick:

#15 2012-08-22 20:21:13

picis peeps

Sorry for you loss Jenn, so sad to lose a favourite that way.

Adverts

Board footer