Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-08-15 14:03:36

prairiedawns

Why are white legs bad?

I mean aside from the standard, is there some other problems that also come with white legs, or is it just cosmetic?  I just want a cool back yard flock, with multi coloured eggs, and good size carcasses.  Most of my chickens are Araucana crosses, with a few bantam x thrown in.  One of the roosters I really like is a gorgeous red guy with the beard, and also a good size, but has white legs.  The roos with yellow legs are small, and I don't want to keep them because of that.  I think I have maybe four EO roos, but one has two very crooked toes.  I really want to keep my (obviously, he has a nice beard) Araucana cross roo to maintain some egg colour variation...will that be stupid because he has white legs?

2012-08-15 14:03:36

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-08-15 14:40:03

Little Boy Blue
Website

Re: Why are white legs bad?

Some breed are know for specific traits like egg production, egg color, growth rate, temperment, etc. 

When you buy a bird you don't always know what you are getting.  In general, the breeders that have the patience and care to breed to a standard are the one that have birds that excel in the areas that the breed is know for too.  People pay a premium when they find a breeder who's bird meet the Standard of Perfection becuase they feel that they have the best chances of getting what they are looking for in the Breed.

Lots of breed standards call for white legs.  The color is not bad.  It is just that peope want quality birds, and quality is measured in consistency.

I was actaully dissapointed when I learned that the EO's had a standard. I saw photos of the diverse colors and thought the breed was simialar to the Icelandic and other land races that produced a large range of traits.  I though that people would breed them based on merit alone and that leg color, plumage color, etc. would not be right or wrong in the selection.

What you select for depends on what your goals are.  If you are working on a personal flock you can take it in any direction that suit you best.  I didn't get into this breed for the SOP color of the birds (but rather a practicle dual purpose bird that is really friendly), so I still plan to breeding my flock based on type over the SOP for color and want to keep as many colors in my flock as possible.

Last edited by Little Boy Blue (2012-08-15 15:45:29)

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

#3 2012-08-15 16:29:08

NaturesPace
Website

I have to agree with a lot of what LBB says. I was drawn to EOs because of their homesteading qualities.

I most likely will be hatching eggs from all my hens that my EO cockerel covers. That will include, EOs, Welsummers, Orpingtons and Olive Egger. I want to see what I get when I combine them. Our Welsummer girls are just as friendly as our EO girls. They are smaller and I don't think would be good dual purpose birds, but I think the combo of EO and Orpingtons might be meaty.

I would like to find out what others are doing with their flocks. Maybe we can have a section on the forum that is for discussion about our different combos with EOs? I know there are some silkie/EO crosses out there. Wonder what their personalities are like?

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#4 2012-08-16 00:53:39

poplar girl
Administrator

They are your birds Prairiedawns so you get to pick who you keep and what is important to you!

Although EOs are not recognized by the American Poultry Association there are a set of breed standards as to what the birds should look like but also including their productive traits such as weight, egg size and eggs per year. We translated the Basque standard to English for the breed and the marraduna variety.

My only caution if you will be sharing EOs with others by selling birds or hatching eggs is to be honest and clear about your birds and their strengths and any flaws. Some people would tell you if a bird is not to the breed standard it should not be marketed as that breed, just call it a "backyard chicken". I would say being honest about what you have is  more critical.

I have tossed around the idea of trying to hang onto all the diversity we are seeing while just selecting for production and temperament traits. I do love all the colors. But I also see the enjoyment and challenge in trying select for color at the same time.

So just know what your goals are with the EOs and make informed decisions as to what to do on that basis. If with that in mind you choose to keep a rooster with white legs then there is nothing bad about white legs.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2012-08-16 03:44:29

appway

what does the Basque/spanish standard say about leg color

#6 2012-08-16 04:10:38

Susan
Administrator

The Marraduna should have yellow legs. It is a disqualification if they have white, willow etc

#7 2012-08-16 04:15:26

Maggiesdad

Yummm!  White legged chickens taste just like chicken!  :eat:

#8 2012-08-16 05:21:03

appway

Susan wrote:

The Marraduna should have yellow legs. It is a disqualification if they have white, willow etc

Hi Susan
Is that the spanish Standard or the standard that is being written up for North America?

Thanks
Joe

Last edited by appway (2012-08-16 05:22:03)

#9 2012-08-16 11:18:32

poplar girl
Administrator

When we wrote the breed standard for North America we tried not to change anything, just to translate the Spanish (basque) standard to English and add enough detail to match the way the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection (APA SOP) is written.

Here is a link to the SOP http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=558

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#10 2012-08-16 22:46:19

prairiedawns

Ok, good to know.  It may be a moot question anyway, as I now think most of the EO chicks I have are cockerels.  I guess they will be busy boys covering my barnyard muts next spring, and maybe I will tack down a couple of pure Araucana's next year.  I will create my own Frankenstein chickens...Easter Oiloas!

#11 2012-08-20 12:58:43

Amblecroft
Website

I must say I do prefer he colourful yellow legs as opposed to the white legs, only for aesthetics but I also like the yellow beaks and the standard doesn't say anything about the colour of the beaks.

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#12 2012-08-20 23:57:57

poplar girl
Administrator

Amblecroft, the standard does say:
BEAK: yellow
It is down a bit, under the marraduna variety for both roosters and hens.

I am finding pigment on the beak is really common in my birds. It is very minor in the grand scheme of things but I don't want them all to end up with dark beaks!

If pigment on the beak is not an issue, yellow shanks = yellow beak and skin; white shank = white beak and skin.

#13 2012-08-21 00:24:53

Maggiesdad

poplar girl wrote:

If pigment on the beak is not an issue, yellow shanks = yellow beak and skin; white shank = white beak and skin.

I was going to say the same thing, went to post a pic to illustrate it and darned if one of my recessive white pullets doesn't have white legs and yellow beak and skin(around her eyes - I haven't checked her vent). Every time I think I've learned something about genetics, I find out I don't know diddlysquat...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-pm_TvkGnG_o/UChbr7HhUZI/AAAAAAAACJc/RdlibGgKaAs/s640/DSC_0011%2520%25282%2529.JPG

#14 2012-08-21 00:55:43

poplar girl
Administrator

That is supposed to indicate heterozygous for yellow MD. So she should have 1 allele for white (dominant) and one for yellow. At least that is what I understand.

Adverts

Board footer