Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-08-07 03:30:14

dahlisgrams

Bahkingham Palace

The coop has been in the works for a while. It was built from an Amish kit but it was a lot of work, nonetheless. Especially the roof. :duh: Here of some photos of the roof mostly complete and the exterior painting mostly done. There is a bit of caulking left to do around the windows and the rear gable vent. We did not add a ridge vent but the gable vent seems to be working nicely. There is plenty of airflow and if it is too much in the winter, I can always cover part of it with a piece of plexiglas. The poop boards and roosts are mostly complete but it should be done and ready to move into tomorrow. That is, unless the run takes longer than planned and at this rate, that's always a distinct possibility! These photos are of the work in progress, and do not reflect all of the work actually completed. DH and I did it ourselves with very little experience except for some interior work on our home, so we're pretty proud of it. I'll add photos as we finish up. Yay!  http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUGFirstweek031.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUGFirstweek033.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUGFirstweek036.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUGFirstweek038.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUGFirstweek041.jpg

Both sides will have poop boards with roosts above. There will be low ladders leaning beneath the back window for additional lower roosts. The nesting boxes will be tucked beneath one of the poop boards and there will be another roost and room for feeders and a large waterer beneath the other. Sweet PDZ in the poop boards for easy cleaning and pine shavings on the floor over the painted wood floor. I hope the chickens like it!

2012-08-07 03:30:14

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-08-07 05:29:55

Micah and Kiah

Re: Bahkingham Palace

:congrats: It looks beautiful.  Does it get cold where you live?  Will you need heat lamps?

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#3 2012-08-07 11:22:50

poplar girl
Administrator

A very beautiful chicken palace it is! I love the design, it has so much character.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2012-08-07 12:04:43

dahlisgrams

Micah and Kiah wrote:

:congrats: It looks beautiful.  Does it get cold where you live?  Will you need heat lamps?

It's pretty mild here in the winter actually. We are right between two bodies of water and that helps moderate the temps somewhat. It rarely gets below 20 degrees. In fact, the last few years we've gotten hardly any snow. I like winter but this area doesn't really come close. I suppose it will make chicken keeping a bit easier though especially for the feather-legged breeds so I cannot complain. I will probably not need heat lamps unless we have an unchacteristic cold snap but I really doubt it. Only for brooding and lately it's been far too hot to run the lamp 24/7. The chicks have been absolutely comfortable without it, at least midday. They are brooding in the house and when we pulled into the driveway last night after running to the big box store for supplies, I laughed at the red light glowing. It looked like a house of ill-repute! :funny:

#5 2012-08-07 12:12:09

Flat Rock Farm

OMG Terra I love it :love:.  Wow I can see how that roof would have been A LOT of work, but it looks great. :thumbsup:

:funny: "house of ill-repute" that's what I think of when I see the red light shining through the shed window that I have the brooders in :funny:

#6 2012-08-07 12:12:53

dahlisgrams

poplar girl wrote:

A very beautiful chicken palace it is! I love the design, it has so much character.

Thanks! It's just a kit but I like the shape of the roof and the colors, while definitely not my first choice, blends into the landscape and fits in well with the other buildings on the property. I am grateful to have it though, for sure. DH has worked very very hard to provide a nice, safe home for the chickens and has learned some new skills in the process. It was named while we were working on the roof. We were playing with words and someone said "Buckingham Palace" and our granddaughter always uses the word "Baawkk" to imitate the chicken noises and it kind of stuck. It's not a huge coop, but it's new and the largest our town will allow without a permit so it'll have to do! :excited:

I'm off to play with chicks and then build a run. Be back later with curent photos!

#7 2012-08-07 14:35:20

Susan
Administrator

Very nice work Terra! It's beautiful. You birds will love it, I'm sure :)

#8 2012-08-07 15:02:48

dahlisgrams

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

OMG Terra I love it :love:.  Wow I can see how that roof would have been A LOT of work, but it looks great. :thumbsup:

:funny: "house of ill-repute" that's what I think of when I see the red light shining through the shed window that I have the brooders in :funny:

LOL! Isn't that a great term?? :funny:

Thanks! I love it too. That roof took 9 hours to shingle. Blah. At least the worst is over! lol

#9 2012-08-07 15:17:25

Flat Rock Farm

Yes that's were all the fuzzy cute chicks hang out :funny:

Wow 9 hours :shock: to shingle the roof.  It really does look great though.

#10 2012-08-07 16:48:06

dahlisgrams

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Yes that's were all the fuzzy cute chicks hang out :funny:

Wow 9 hours :shock: to shingle the roof.  It really does look great though.

Our inexperience probably had much to do with it, but really once we found our groove it went pretty smoothly, at least until we got to the top.

Break over.. back to work! :P

Looking forward to really reading through the forum. I have so many questions. It's nice to have a common interest with everyone here. More intimate somehow.

#11 2012-08-07 20:28:04

Island Girl

What a great and unique looking coop. I love the roof. I think your chickens will love it, thanks for the pictures.

XOX Monika

#12 2012-08-07 20:30:43

NaturesPace
Website

great job! you guys can fit a lot of chickens in that! :chook:

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#13 2012-08-08 01:55:42

dahlisgrams

First night in the coop for our 4 week olds!!! :cheer::excited:

We got so much done today and managed to put them in for the night before returning the auger. So, the stockade section is in and once the cement is dry within the holes, the 6' chain link sections can be attached. Once done, the run should end up at around 1130 square feet. Part of it will be covered with a roof and the rest will be covered with 1" aviary netting. Hawks are a huge issue here. There is a family of red-tails that live in the field next door so I've gone a little crazy with the netting. Better safe than sorry. The polish flock will not be free ranged with the others though they'll have the wooded area behind the coop and run as their private space while the others are out and about. The electric netting should help keep them contained, hopefully. I am really looking forward to watching the EOs forage! The joys of chicken keeping!

Poop boards and roosts were installed, the floor protected, shavings down. Bought another 100 feet of 3' wire and plan to install tomorrow. It will be so great to call this project finished!!!

I'll have some photos tomorrow. No time this evening. This body hurts everywhere. lol

Cheers! :wine:

#14 2012-08-08 16:29:00

Amblecroft
Website

Cute house and the design is lovely.

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

Adverts

Board footer