Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-06-24 00:06:58

NaturesPace
Website

First butchered birds

Thanks to Glen!

Heather, my DH and I went to Glen's homestead to process our last two cockerels that did't fit into our flock plans.
Glen showed us all his chickens, and there are a lot, the pigs and the garden/orchard. It was all wonderful. After a little chat and coffee we headed out to process the chickens. I teared up a bit talking about what was about to happen, but I was there to process them and I need to be able to do it again and again and again, if we are going to be farming.

Glen did "the deeds". Heather even held the first one by the legs to let it finish draining while the second met his fate. Thanks!!
Then we scalded them to get the feathers off. I was surprised how easy it was to get the feathers off. Then, inside to finish up. Glen was a wonderful teacher. He taught us what to do with the first one, then I did the second one.

If my DH is ok with the first part, :whistle: I think I can do the rest again, no problem. :chairhide: I have a lot of learning to do and it's not a quick process, but with practice everything will get easier.

Thanks again Glen and family. Overall it was a great day.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

2012-06-24 00:06:58

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-06-24 01:41:48

Susan
Administrator

Re: First butchered birds

Good job!  It is always hard.  I find it never gets easier. I am so thankful for my friend who does "the deed" for me. I just can't. It is a sore spot with me. After that, I can gut and pluck. I don't know if I will ever get there.

#3 2012-06-24 13:38:36

poplar girl
Administrator

Wow NP, great job. I really dislike butchering and so does my DH. I grew up with it (so did DH), my job was always to make dinner for everyone and bag up the finished birds...what does that tell you about what my family thought of my abilities even then!?!

We take the easy way out now (if we lived closer to family we might do it ourselves with help) and once a year load all the birds up and take them and have them done at a licensed facility. They do a great job and instead of a day of butchering I can go shop at the farm supply stores while we wait. Also I can legally sell the meat that way if I want to.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2012-06-24 14:36:51

Flat Rock Farm

Well NP you were in great company to have your first birds done.  Way to go Glen for helping her :applause:  Maybe one of these days I will get the nerve to do it :whistle:

Would have loved to be there as well, I am sure things have changed around Glen's since our road trip visit in March.  Sounds like you had a nice visit as well. :thumbsup:

#5 2012-06-24 14:43:10

Prairie Chick

:thumbsup: Good job, it is so rewarding to be able to do the entire process yourself.

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#6 2012-06-25 01:45:08

ChestnutRidge
Website

It was a great learning experience.  Glen was a fantastic teacher, and he made the process as smooth and respectful as possible for all involved.  It was great to see you and your DH, Heidi.  I love being able to get together for things like this.  I hope we continue to find reasons to get together.

#7 2012-07-19 16:18:22

picis peeps

umm think I may be a bit squeamish about this too.  Tried watching a few youtube videos to see how it is done and that didn't sit well.  Found out that a local hutterite colony would do it for us so I guess our surplus of roos will be going there very soon.....once we have sorted out our access road following the latest flooding problem.

#8 2012-07-20 01:47:33

Susan
Administrator

Picis peeps, would you pm me the details for the colony? I might use them this year too!

#9 2012-07-20 02:52:59

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oh dear what terrible weather you guys are having.  It is nice to have someone else do them, if they are close! It is not so bad to do them once you get used to it, it just takes us a long time :banginghead:

#10 2012-07-20 02:59:17

picis peeps

Yes Susan, I will message you the details.
We have had a lot of water again this year but at least my little ladies have stayed dry so far.

#11 2012-07-23 13:31:54

picis peeps

Well I guess I don't have to worry about taking the roos to the hutterites for processing now.  Our dog Sandy decided to break into the coop where the roos were housed and killed 3 of them.  Had to make the heartbreaking decision to  take her to the SPCA for rehoming as my efforts at finding her a new home had failed.  Even though it was the best thing we could do it was very emotional as we had had her for 2 years but she had gotten the chicken killer bug and nothing we did changed it.  Aside from this she was the most affectionate dog and we are going to miss her terribly.  On the plus side, I did sell 2 cochin roos to a lovely young man who had just started his own chicken flock.  We spoke on the phone last night and he said the roos were having a whale of a time and were very busy...LOL  I think this may be the start of a great chicken owner friendship.

#12 2012-07-23 14:02:55

Prairie Chick

:hug: sry about your dog, I am sure it was a tough decision.

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

Adverts

Board footer