Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-07-12 01:44:47

northmountaingal

?Head Injury

Worked nightshift last night and had to run errands afterwards, so didn't get home until nearly 11am, staggeringly exhausted after being awake all night. Came home to a note on the kitchen counter...my fella checked the chickens early in the morning before leaving for work and one of the EOs has it's head caught between the tines of a pitchfork and the others were picking on it. He brought it into the sunporch in a box and it's been resting all day, but doesn't look good. I tried using an eyedropper to give her some water but even that is a struggle. Feel so sad...only have 9 EOs and don't want anything happening to any of them! I think this one is a little pullet, also...so even more upsetting. I took her out of the box and put her in my homemade brooder with 5 Silkie chicks (less than a week old)...I don't know, I just thought the sound of the chicks might be less lonely for her...and they are so tiny that at least they won't hurt her. The EO mostly stands still a lot with her head hanging down. She doesn't seem to want to eat or drink. When I pick her up she's happy to nestle in my hand. I can't find any obvious injury on her. I am kind of thinking she suffered some type of head trauma.
Although it's going to be nerve-wracking to look, I am hoping when I check on her in the morning that she'll be improved...but I don't get a good feeling. :sad:

2 Australian Cattle Dogs, a gang of indoor kitties and a my coop of chickens makes for a happy household here on the North Mountain of Nova Scotia's Annapolis Valley.

2012-07-12 01:44:47

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-07-12 01:56:43

Lisa

Re: ?Head Injury

Fingers crossed for you and your girl, NMG!

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#3 2012-07-12 02:33:44

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Sorry to hear that NMG.  She could have a bit of nerve damage, if she had a lot of pressure on her (light take a while to back off her), it could be in shock too and dehydration.  I'd force feed her sugar or baby electrolyte water.  Even make a slurry with feed in it and syringe it in her.  If you don't have  syringe, put it in a ziplock bag and cut a TINY corner off and open her beak to give it too here, or try it in a dish first but dip her beak in it.  If she is in shock, she needs to stay hydrated and noursished.  If you can get a bit of water into her she'll have a much better chance.  Great idea having her with the babies, may distract her and get her going.  Holding her and cuddling her is good.  Often a heat lamp helps them relax when in pain too.  If she has wounds from the pecking, polysporin works well.  Fingers crossed.

#4 2012-07-12 03:06:34

northmountaingal

Thanks so much for the great advice! I found a syringe in my catch-all pet drawer and got a bit more aggressive with getting a bit of sugar water into her...the eye-dropper was a waste of time, really. After working nightshift last night, despite only sleeping 2 hours today I'm wide awake now, well...in a zombie-like wide awake state.... I made a slurry with chick starter and sugar and am going to try her on that before I go to sleep... I didn't want to stress her too much, so I thought if I do a wee bit...wait 10-15 minutes and try a wee bit more...at least it'll give her a better chance. Wish I had your experience. I'm so scared that I'll hurt her when I force-feed her. I know it's necessary. I should have did it earlier, guess not thinking straight, just being tired and also so new at this chicken business. Anyway, she's resting now with the baby chicks, under the heat lamp...I'll give another go at chicken nursing in 15 min or so...

2 Australian Cattle Dogs, a gang of indoor kitties and a my coop of chickens makes for a happy household here on the North Mountain of Nova Scotia's Annapolis Valley.

#5 2012-07-12 03:06:49

yardbirds

:sad:  So sorry to hear about this....hope she makes a full recovery..... :(

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#6 2012-07-12 03:59:42

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oh NMG you'll do fine. I usually figure if they are in really rough shape they may not improve anyway so there's nothing to lose as long as I am not making them too miserable or uncomfortable. 

You'll be able to feel her chest gently for her crop and know when it is full.  You probably won't get close to full but it can only help.  It feels softer and mushy when they have just had water or soft food.  If she eats on her own, you'll be able to check it and it will feel harder and rounder.  The crops a pretty good indicator of how a bird is doing short term.  I give sugar water to give them a boost.  For shock for people they say sweet tea right?!   Hope you find her improved by morning.  You are doing everything right!  Between us here we have seen a lot so don't hesitate to ask, we are happy to help

#7 2012-07-12 06:11:05

debbiej

When Muffy had her surgery I bought some Advil 200mgs, and cut one in half and half again and crushed it up, mixed it with a bit of water and feed it to her with a syringe, seemed to help the pain and swelling.  I hope your girl makes a full recovery

#8 2012-07-14 12:54:19

northmountaingal

Good news! The little EO gal has left the sunporch and joined her EO gang out in the coop! She is eating and drinking and although maybe not as active as the others, she does seem much recovered! YAY! Her poor little head looks all bruised, though. When I took her out, the others gathered around as usual and 4 of them flew up to sit on my shoulders when I bent over. I've never seen such friendly little chooks!

#9 2012-07-14 12:59:41

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oh I am glad she is on the mend! :jumping:  Just keep an eye on her.  They may out of curiosity peck at her wounds.  If you can get some blue kote spray, that will help if you do see a problem.

#10 2012-07-14 13:04:46

Prairie Chick

:jumping: Glad to hear she is doing better

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#11 2012-07-15 01:15:23

choctawgal
Website

NMG, I'm sorry to hear off your upsetting day :sad:, but overjoyed :jumping: to also hear the outcome for your little chickie! :thumbs::love:

She will probably need a couple more days of paying *special* attention to be sure she's out in the clear! :chairhide:  The two things that never cease to amaze me is their fragility AND resiliency!  It sounds like your chickie will do well... and that she has an awesome caregiver!!

Namaste,

Jenn :surfing:

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

#12 2012-07-18 14:44:56

prairiedawns

Yay! :cheer:

#13 2012-07-18 16:32:11

Island Girl

:nervous: is she all better now? Sounds like you handled it very well.

XOX Monika

Adverts

Board footer