Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-07-07 18:08:40

Lindy Lou

Too Hot to lay?

Right now my birds aren't laying very well at all. As a matter of fact today nobody has laid a single egg. I think it's because it's way too hot and they seem to not be eating or drinking as much.
Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

2012-07-07 18:08:40

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-07-07 18:40:14

appway

Re: Too Hot to lay?

some of the laying hens are doing the same here all that is laying good it seems are Guineas (knock on wood) hope it pics back up would hate to have to buy eggs
still waiting for my 2 EO pullets to lay also

#3 2012-07-07 23:22:23

Flat Rock Farm

Well the standards have backed off but the bantams are little laying machines.  They have not been eating much but boy are they consuming the water :wine:

#4 2012-07-08 02:42:34

Lindy Lou

Today was a bumper day. We got a total of 3 eggs and one was broken. Geez :banginghead:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#5 2012-07-08 02:59:20

NaturesPace
Website

Week 23 for my oldest EO and her comb is the smallest light pink comb of all my girls. I don't expect eggs from her any time soon. It's been terribly hot here too. Over 100 F today. I started fermenting some of their feed and they seem to love it. Figured it adds a bit of extra moisture to their diet too. To find out more about the fermented feed check out CRs blog. Pretty interesting.

Hope everyone sees some relief from the high temps soon. It will probably come in the form of rain. :rain:
Oh how I miss the :snowman:

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#6 2012-07-08 03:08:38

Susan
Administrator

I can handle a heat wave. 6 months of snow. So much rain this year. Intense storms. Yea. I'll take the heat!

#7 2012-07-08 03:30:18

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

The heat is exhausting even up here! :sick: I think I had heat exhaustion yesterday evening after trying to clean coops in the sun and heat.  So glad we bough a window a/c fir the bedroom.

Your girls could be molting Lindy Lou.  Mine are starting to and the lavenders are well on the way.  We had 8 eggs today, so not bad.  :applause:

#8 2012-07-08 11:56:33

poplar girl
Administrator

Even we are getting some heat! I hate the heat, the only thing worse than 30C is -40C, I prefer around 20C. My girls are still laying well so far. One EO is molting but the rest seem to be laying.

Appway, The EO pullets I got from Susan the same time as you have all been lying for awhile now? I think they should have been around the same age :huh:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2012-07-08 15:23:12

Flat Rock Farm

Susan wrote:

I can handle a heat wave. 6 months of snow. So much rain this year. Intense storms. Yea. I'll take the heat!

You have been really hit with the weather your way for sure.  Here we need rain desperately, each time it looks like something is coming off Lake Huron but the time it gets my way it dissipates or goes to the the east or west and misses us :banginghead:

#10 2012-07-08 16:15:52

appway

poplar girl wrote:

Even we are getting some heat! I hate the heat, the only thing worse than 30C is -40C, I prefer around 20C. My girls are still laying well so far. One EO is molting but the rest seem to be laying.

Appway, The EO pullets I got from Susan the same time as you have all been lying for awhile now? I think they should have been around the same age :huh:

Nope they are not laying as of yet  Their combs are just starting to get darker
I keep checking and checking
When they lay that first egg I will for sure be posting about it as I will be as excited as them
They eat the same as the others
Wheat, whole and screenings oats rolled, layer pellets 18% layer crumbles 17% and a sprinkle of layer concentrate  which is 35%
so I know its not the food
they are in a coop by themselves so not getting pestered oh well guess I will just wait when hey are ready they are ready

Last edited by appway (2012-07-08 16:22:30)

#11 2012-07-08 18:16:29

poplar girl
Administrator

Good things come to those that wait I guess Joe, sounds like they are being spoiled rotten with regards to their keep so it's certainly not that!!

Just came in for lunch and it is hot out there. We are preparing foundation for the barn we are building and I gotta tell you it is seeming like a huge, daunting project at this particular moment....I hope the rest goes faster than this part has or there's no way we're going to have this barn ready for winter :cozy: :nervous:

Ah, winter :snowman: I miss winter (or at least fall and spring) right now....

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Adverts

Board footer