Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-07-03 17:52:54

Island Girl

Can someone help me with a feather color question?

I have the opportunity to breed my wonderful white silkie to a lovely little splash cockerel and am wondering what the chciks colors would be. Please keep to the KISS princible for me. :P

XOX Monika

2012-07-03 17:52:54

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-07-03 18:12:21

ipf

Re: Can someone help me with a feather color question?

Depends why she's white - dominant or recessive (two different loci), and if dominant, how many copies of the allele she has. Do you know her background?

#3 2012-07-03 18:24:07

Island Girl

Thanks for repling ipf, I know nothing of her background, bought her as one of my first chicks about 4 years ago. She is an incredible mom and will take chicks of any breed and almost any age and rear them for me. Unfortunately all I can say is that she is a pure white bearded silkie with a fantastic disposition.

XOX Monika

#4 2012-07-03 18:48:22

ipf

Well, sounds like a great candidate for breeding to me; let us know what colour chicks you get, and maybe I can work backwards.

#5 2012-07-04 11:43:12

poplar girl
Administrator

I think the white of your silkies is probably recessive white which means you should get some colored chicks (blue in this case I suppose?) if you cross her with a splash.

No guarantee of that but doing some quick reading that looks mostl likely...

Let us know...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2012-07-04 13:03:47

Lindy Lou

I have one of Paula's pullets that turns into a Rooster :funny:. He is white but now has slight brown coming on his wings. I have him in with two Lavender Americaunas which is what he is. I had surmised that I would get some splash out of that pairing. Is that in fact the case? I suppose I could also get white and lavender also?

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#7 2012-07-04 13:18:27

ipf

PG, why do you think that recessive white is most likely?

#8 2012-07-05 00:09:34

poplar girl
Administrator

ipf wrote:

PG, why do you think that recessive white is most likely?

Pg 65 of "Genetics of Chciken Colours The Basics" by Sigrid Van Dort, David Hancox and friends:

Resessive white was proved for the first time in 1906 and is responsible for the white colour of Cochins, Wyandottes and Orpingtons, Plymouth Rocks, Sussex, Silkies, Rosecombs, Frizzles and Chabos (Japanese), in origin. Today white chickens may carry both Recessive and Dominant white, test breeding will tell.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2012-07-05 01:21:45

ipf

That tells me it's one possibility, but without knowing the background of the chicken in question, or the result of test matings, I'd be hesitant to say it's most likely. . .  it could be dominant white and either homo- or heterozygous (although hets often show leakage), or (as the authors say)  it could carry both dominant and recessive.

That's the fun thing about chooks with unknown ancestry.

Adverts

Board footer