Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-06-15 02:44:09

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Strawberry season! And what else?

I was spoiled this morning with waffles and our very own strawberries.  DH is in holidays this week and we have been trying to get the garden weeded and planted! I have harvested strawberries that had run rampant and chamomile that had seeded itself and some forgotten onions and garlic left over from last year veggie garden.  We have raspberries blackberries and red currants on the way too!  I can't wait to make jelly with them!

What have you guys harvested already this year?  What are you looking forward to?

2012-06-15 02:44:09

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-06-15 03:42:51

Maggiesdad

Re: Strawberry season! And what else?

I put up 30 - 1/2pts of cherry preserves two weeks ago... sooo good! Been freezing yellow squash and I need to put down a crock of kraut.
My english peas are coming in and the corn is tasseling. Blackberries will be in for the 4th of July. :eat:

#3 2012-06-15 12:36:18

gubi
Website

So far we are eating strawberries and salad and radishes out of the garden.  The strawberries are tiny this year but so tasty.  Looking forward to cucumbers and tomatoes out of the garden.  I love home grown tomatoes but I don't even like the store bought tomatoes at all.  Rita made two gardens this year one here and one over at the dairy farm.  The kids like to sell the extras on the roadside for some change.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2012-06-15 13:59:22

Lindy Lou

I planted my very first veggie garden May 24th week-end so not too much is ready to eat. The radishes are doing well and so are the salad greens. Tomatoes have trusses on them and I have got peppers ,be them small but peppers none the less, onions are doing well and all the corn came up.
Of course as soon as some things started to look good the bugs decided it was time for dinner and ate a lot of the leaves off the brocolli and cauliflower. Also the potatoe crop looks dismal and not too much evidence of watermelons.Oh well such is life.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#5 2012-06-16 02:07:57

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

All sounds delicious!  We only have 10% of ours planted :whistle: Most of our harvest so far is what planted itself! :funny:

#6 2012-06-23 19:06:49

Lindy Lou

We have just replanted the potatoe bed.I know it's a bit late but we are keeping our fingers crossed. I have pulled my very first crop of radishes that I have ever grown and tomorrow I will pick some of my lettuce. I love it!!! I go out every morning after feeding the birds and sit with my cup of tea looking to see how things have grown. I have tomatoes and peppers and broccolli, beets and carrots are up. There are little tiny cucumbers, all the corn is up and growing really well and I have got some lovely cabbages.
I can't tell you what a kick I get out of my veggie patch. It's wonderful to get to do these things even if it is in the autumn of my years.
Now what can I try next?

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#7 2012-06-23 19:51:25

Maggiesdad

I have an idea...  CHICKENS!     :happycrowd"

#8 2012-06-23 21:16:19

Lindy Lou

:funny: Any idea what kind?

#9 2012-06-24 14:24:05

Flat Rock Farm

Roosters :chairhide: :funny:

Well all I have harvested so far is Rhubarb.  I planted my garden right in the midst of a dry spell in May, so my salad greens are small, yellow beans are growing very well (no beans yet).  Have green tomatoes on my tomatoes plants and peppers are flowering and the swiss chard is coming along.  Nothing compares to fresh tomatoes from the garden, I never buy tomatoes in the store they look anemic and have no taste. :sick:

#10 2012-06-24 17:11:31

Lindy Lou

Aw gee Paula you are so funny!!! Roosters I seem to have more tham my fair share of :funny:

#11 2012-06-24 18:54:35

Flat Rock Farm

Sorry, couldn't help myself (we need a devil smilie) :funny:

#12 2012-06-25 00:38:15

northmountaingal

I have three mature high-bush blueberry plants that are loaded with berries...it'll be awhile, but looking forward to walking outside in my bathrobe and sprinkling the berries on my morning cereal when the time comes. I don't have much area for gardening, but one project this summer is to work on getting a garden spot ready for next spring. Maybe some raised beds. I have way too many flowering shrubs! Need to invest more effort into food-producing plants. I do have a few nut trees, but I'm afraid it'll be many years from now before they produce...if I'm still in this same place then. I only have an acre and really wish I had more land...so I could have more animals!

2 Australian Cattle Dogs, a gang of indoor kitties and a my coop of chickens makes for a happy household here on the North Mountain of Nova Scotia's Annapolis Valley.

Adverts

Board footer