Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-06-18 17:37:52

Lindy Lou

Making your own Feed

I came across a recipe for Chicken feed that I'm now trying. The blend is 4 parts Cracked Corn, 5 parts Mixed Grain, 1 part Soya bean Meal, 2 parts Oyster shell and 1 part Cod Liver Oil. If my calculations are correct I should save $4.00 a bag off the cost of buying from a feed store. The only question I have is about adding the Cod Liver oil. Is it likely to make the feed wet which in turn will go mouldy? Can I maybe add it to their water? I need to make sure they get all the vitamins that they need.
Any suggestions or advise Please.

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-06-18 17:38:26)

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

2012-06-18 17:37:52

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-06-18 18:28:44

gubi
Website

Re: Making your own Feed

One thing that you would have to find out is if you have enough minerals and vitamins in the feed this way.  Might be OK for summer when they free range but I'm not sure about winter when they are cooped up.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2012-06-18 19:11:04

Lindy Lou

Yes I did wonder about that too. I'll have to look up what a chicken needs to do well in the winter. This feed I'm trying would appear to have enough protein in it and I guess the Cod Liver Oil is meant to satisfy the vitamin end of things. I'm just not sure how to give it to them

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#4 2012-06-18 21:44:20

Flat Rock Farm

Well I don't have anything to add about the feed.  You are a great "human" cook LL so I am sure what you make for the chickes they will love it :eat:

#5 2012-06-21 00:58:03

Lindy Lou

WEll Thank you Paula. The chooks all seem to like the new feed although the whole grains, oats, wheat and barley seem to get left all over the floor. I was doing some research regarding Gubi's imput about minerals and vitamins. The information I've found does not go into any great  detail about what type of vits I should give them. So I was thinking would water soluble electrolytes work given every day in their drinking water?

#6 2012-06-21 12:08:18

Flat Rock Farm

Makes sense to me. :huh:

Adverts

Board footer