Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-06-30 04:22:11

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

How did you get started with chickens?

We started with 15 or so Chanteclers and cuckoo marans for a few egg layers and meat in 2007!  They weren't very friendly and screamed and carried on when we tried to pick them up so we stopped!  Then something wierd happened, we ordered chicks from McMurrays  and the chicken addiction hit when the Silver Penciled Wyandottes and Sumatras actually wanted to make friends :whistle:

How did you get into chickenry and the assorted addictions to breeds/hatching/pet hens? How long ago?  :chook:

2011-06-30 04:22:11

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-07-01 04:26:03

Skylinepoultry
Website

Re: How did you get started with chickens?

Well my Grand Dad was a junk man and lived a simple life. He loved his chewing tobacco and chickens. We had no running water and cooked and heated everything off a huge woodburning stove. With this said, he loved to presure cook his chickens because he had no teeth and it made the chicken melt in ur mouth. (it was so good, yum yum) We would pick wild polk salad and eat it with our chicken that he butchered. I was young but the memories will never leave. He taught me alot and gave me the love for poultry. Over the years I have had just about every breed you could imagine. I like variety but prefer large fowl as to bantams. Ive been around poultry all my life but gave them up for a short time when I went through my crazy years as a bachelor. Being married for 15 years to a wonderful wife and having 2 awesome boys now has allowed me to get back into the one thing that also brings comfort to me, poultry. Learning poultry genetics has compounded my bird collection considering my mind is always racing to figure out how to get one color or pattern into another and boy do I got some surprises for people in the near future,lol.
EUSKAL OILOAK RULE !!!!!!!!!!

#3 2011-07-01 19:35:31

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

That sound like a great life.  I can see why they would be a huge part of your life now!  I hope we can learn from your genetics skills.  Some of us are still in the getting to grips with it stage!  :Crazy:

My great aunt had Rhode Island Reds in the village of Skeffling and when we were kids we'd go and visit and collect eggs for her.  I loved to hear them clucking and scratching  around and the crowing.

#4 2011-07-01 21:43:21

poplar girl
Administrator

Some of my first memories are of sitting in the chicken coop with the baby chicks as a child growing up on a farm in Saskatchewan. We used to raise about 100 meat birds every year. My little sister had egg laying chickens for a few years as well around the time I left home.

My husband and I bought an acreage about 5 years ago and experimented with some hatchery chickens and turkeys. Last year I wanted something different and so I joined a poultry forum, bought some hatching eggs and an incubator and...well there has been no going back!

After last year I was able to narrow it down to 3 breeds and now have aspirations of learning how to breed these beautiful birds.

Sometimes (such as today when I opted not to go to the a Canada Day celebration but to stay home and clean the chicken coops instead) my husband thinks I'm :Crazy:  but he knows how much I enjoy my chickens!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2011-07-03 19:54:59

Flat Rock Farm

When I was a young girl my Father worked with a fellow that was renovating an abandoned old stone farm outside of Ayr, ON.  We used to go out quite often and they had a variety of chickens, pigs, cattle and horses.  I knew then that I eventually wanted to live the country life and have animals, when we finally did move to our country home 23 years ago the first year I went to the St. Jacob's stock yard and purchased my first few hens.  One barred rock and three ISA browns, I have since never been without a few laying hens until over a year ago I decided I wanted to get into more interesting breeds instead of the "commercial" birds I had for years.  Purchased my first Penny's and BLRW from Claire and that set me off, now have 12 different breeds of chickens and some Sebastopol geese.

#6 2011-08-18 03:24:44

Skylinepoultry
Website

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

That sound like a great life.  I can see why they would be a huge part of your life now!  I hope we can learn from your genetics skills.  Some of us are still in the getting to grips with it stage!  :Crazy:

My great aunt had Rhode Island Reds in the village of Skeffling and when we were kids we'd go and visit and collect eggs for her.  I loved to hear them clucking and scratching  around and the crowing.

There's nothing like hearing chickens. Some people just dont understand.

#7 2011-08-18 04:30:38

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:love: I love the sound of them.  Roos and hens!  Paula, I didn't realize you had chooks so long, I am glad to be a catalyst in the addiction process :doI?:

Adverts

Board footer