Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-06-07 15:21:44

northmountaingal

Choosing an Incubator

Hi all...just wondering if anyone can give a newbie a word or advice or thoughts on choosing an incubator. It would be nice to find a Canadian source if possible...S&H, taxes and duties from USA is a bugger unless the price is significantly cheaper. I'm just beginning, so I don't need the Cadillac of incubators...but would rather invest the money up-front in something of decent quality.
I'm just thinking ahead (to when my EOs grow up)...also wouldn't mind adding a few more young Ameraucanas to my small Ameraucana flock. Tried putting the Ameraucana eggs under my Silkies but no luck yet.

2 Australian Cattle Dogs, a gang of indoor kitties and a my coop of chickens makes for a happy household here on the North Mountain of Nova Scotia's Annapolis Valley.

2012-06-07 15:21:44

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-06-07 18:13:33

Maggiesdad

Re: Choosing an Incubator

It seems like you pretty much get what you pay for with incubators.  I'm just starting my 6th hatch with a Miller Little Giant styro special. I think gubi on here has some really good pointers about how to wring the most out of a styrobator.

Maybe I'll inherit a Sportsman some day... :please:

#3 2012-06-07 18:23:16

gubi
Website

I use Hovabators but I was getting a bit frustrated with my hatches this spring. 50-60% hatch rates and lots of EO chicks with crooked toes.  But the last two hatches have been very good again.  I hatched 29/40 (15/17EO) and now 22/28 and both hatches no crooked toes.  Both times no water at all until lockdown when I filled all the troughs. 

The best kind of incubators for their price are a flock of silkie hens.  The only thing with them is you hatch eggs on their schedule.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2012-06-07 20:37:19

riverbendfarm
Website

<agrees with Gubi> That's why I'm after your silkies =P.

I use still air hovabator and first hatch this spring was 17/25. Had one with a crooked leg, but otherwise great hatch. Cheap and easy to use also. I hear that Incubator Warehouse in the US ships to NS and prices are so much lower that you can almost get 2 for 1. I paid 100$ for my Hovabator, plus I bought the egg turner, so near on 200$ with taxes and not even a turbofan! I got mine at Co-Op but I wasn't up to waiting for a shipment from across the border.

PS if your pennies turn out to be same sex I think we can arrange a swap! My extra boys from this hatch will be going to freezer camp otherwise.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#5 2012-06-07 23:57:23

poplar girl
Administrator

I love my Brinsea. Cbotkin in BC sells them so there is a Canadian source. I just went to the website to grab a link for you and it is not working the best but I see there are some Quebec sellers now which is new. 
http://www.cbotkin.ca/Online_Store/default.html

The Octagon 20 advance with a humidity pump and auto turner is the Cadillac of that size (holds about 24 large chicken eggs). I have it and really like it.  I think I could survive without the turner but the humidity pump is very nice to have especially for hatching.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2012-06-08 18:50:56

ChestnutRidge
Website

I don't know about sources, but I've been using the HovaBator Genesis 1588 (I have 2) and they work great for me.  So far I have about a 90% hatch rate with eggs from my own flock.  If I get another incubator, however, I want to buy a Reptipro which is a small cabinet.  It doesn't have built-in ventilation, so you have to open the door a few times a day for air exchanges, but they maintain and recover humidity really well so they don't tend to produce stuck chicks even if you open the door to take chicks out during hatch. (How's that for a run-on sentence? :P ) That's what my online chicken buddies say, anyway. =D  I also might try building my own cabinet-style incubator next year.  We'll see...

Last edited by ChestnutRidge (2012-06-08 18:52:00)

Adverts

Board footer