Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-06-08 02:39:36

Island Girl

New nest boxes

Picked these up in a great little feedshop in Blackcreek today. The fellow gave me a discount cause I took all 3, I like that they are plastic and very dis-infectable. Thought I would leave them on the ground for now til everyone figures out what they are :P

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/2012-06-07NewEOsfromHugh029.jpg

XOX Monika

2012-06-08 02:39:36

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-06-08 02:44:09

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: New nest boxes

Nice.  I have been thinking about non-wood with no cracks for creepy crawlies to live in too! :sick:

#3 2012-06-08 12:16:10

poplar girl
Administrator

I am still considering using that plastic board you posted about for built in nest boxes in the new barn.  It would be nice to be able to collect eggs from outside the coop but then again I like to go into the coop to check for any problems etc anyway.

Plastic definately makes sense and I like the idea of them being removable as well...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2012-06-08 12:38:03

gubi
Website

I have made nests out of many different materials.  I have some 20 litre barrels that I cut a hole in the front, a big 205liter barrel, old drawers, plywood made and a couple of the 12 hole galvanized nests.  The hens almost always lay in the steel nests.  Once in a while I find a stash of eggs behind a round bale or in another hiding spot but mostly just in the galvanized nests.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/310U2-JEU-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I now use the the other nests only in breeding pens or for broodies.  When I look at the pictures of yours I wonder if that roost in front is big enough for the EO's to land as they are a bit clumsy at times.  See how they accept the nests but you might have to build a 2x4 "landing strip" for them.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2012-06-08 12:54:25

northmountaingal

That's funny, I picked up one of those gray plastic nest boxes yesterday as well, just to give it a try with the Ameraucanas. I may get more if they seem to like this one. I'll be interested in hearing how yours work out.

2 Australian Cattle Dogs, a gang of indoor kitties and a my coop of chickens makes for a happy household here on the North Mountain of Nova Scotia's Annapolis Valley.

Adverts

Board footer